Mario Leaps Across the Virtual Pages of Kindle

Posted by James Newton

Amazon presumably thrilled

You might have an Amazon Kindle e-reader, but chances are you probably don't: all that reading is understandably off-putting. You know what might brighten it up? Some Mario, of course.

That was seemingly the thought process over at Klab, a Japanese company behind a NES emulator for Kindle. Although it's perhaps best not to consider the usefulness of such a programme, stomping Goombas whilst pretending to read Jane Austen has a certain appeal to it.

If Mario isn't your kind of thing, you may want to check out the rather good Tetris clone available for the Kindle too, which may be a good deal easier to control.

We're now hoping for a revamped Kindle with speakers and a proper D-Pad.

[via kotaku.com]

skywake

skywake said:

the refresh rates would be horrible..... but at least it wouldn't strain your eyes ;)

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Now, if only Nintendo could come up with it's own NES emulator for the DSi, they could sell this game to me.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

So let me get this straight; an NES emulator on a E-book?...did I miss something this past year?

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

So now you assume video gamers hate reading, huh?!! James Newton, you are working my last nerve!!!

pixelman

pixelman said:

Hey, for the past year I've read Don Quixote at least once a week, without fail.

I'm around 52 pages in now.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

The HUD is invisible and everything looks dark. I'd rather have an AceKard 2i with an NES emulator for my DSi, thanks.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I'd still rather read physical copies of book and have a better emulation of SMB, but I guess this is neat for those that have Kindle.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@BlueFlameBat - I don't think Prosody thinks we don't like reading, and I don't think Prosody thinks we dislike role-playing games without voice acting.
I like reading, and playing video games, and RPGs whether or not there is voice acting in them.

MrMartinLee

MrMartinLee said:

@ Token Girl: Hahaha... perfect!

This falls under the category of "brilliantly pointless, but inevitable" I have a Kindle, and some of the author portraits it shows while resting are very pretty, and nicely shaded in black and white. Probably still better for books, though...

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

According to my Franklin dictionary, to "kindle" means:
1. to set on fire or to start burning
2. to stir up

James

James said:

Note to self: make more jokes about gamers hating reading in future. Include Sagat where possible.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Goomba = cheat code :P One major caveat with Kindle is that it is black/white only. The "electronic ink" system that Kindle employs presumably isn't available in color, or perhaps Amazon decided to cheap out. A gameboy emulator would have been much more fitting. I hearKindle's "ink" screen is much easier on the eyes than backlit LCD. But Apple's new iPad can do everything Kindle can do, plus a lot more, and it's in color. Not to mention, it's inherently difficult enough to play console games using a computer's keyboard, I believe the Kindle's shrunken keypad will render many games unplayable.

Bankai

Bankai said:

I own a Kindle, and while it's the best possible thing ever for reading books and magazines, I wouldn't want to use it for anything else.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@WarriorCat - oh, ryan's avatar is currently that of Cosmo from The Fairly Oddparents in a confused state. I like it, though. :) I remember watching the show a bit several years ago.
EDIT: Well, it was. Now it's Hanataro from Bleach.