Konami Sheds More Light on A Shadow's Tale

Posted by Trevor Chan

New trailer for the platformer previously known as Tower of Shadow

It's not often that platform games manifest themselves in a unique hue that illuminates them from their surroundings, and this upcoming Wii title from Hudson Soft could well be the latest example of a game that does. In more ways than one, mind.

Since it was announced last August, we still don't know too much about it. Other than the fact that the player takes on the role of a young boy; or rather, his shadow. For reasons that will be explained as the game progresses, your purpose is to utilise the light and dark areas of the game in order to reach the top of a massive tower.

What sets this game apart from most others, is when the sun shifts along the skyline, it will naturally change the angles at which shadows are cast on the levels. The player can only travel on the thin line between light and shadow, and they must always have a shadow foothold. Otherwise, the shadow will disappear if it is engulfed by the strong light or darkness.

A Shadow's Tale will be a mixture of a platformer with combat, puzzle-solving and exploration, and judging from the initial screenshots, it should be a pleasure to do all of that. Players won't be alone though as they will be accompanied by a winged sylth known as a 'Spangle'. This 'Spangle' can manipulate physical items that the shadow boy cannot, such as metal work. The dynamics between these two protagonists should be interesting to see as the sylth essentially alters the terrain in which the shadow boys can traverse in, often creating walkways to gain access to previously unavailable locations.

The game is currently scheduled for release this August for the Nintendo Wii and in the mean time, be sure to check out its screenshots and the official trailer.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

No gameplay footage? Come on! Anyways, I'm interested to see where this game will go in complexity of the puzzles.

irken004

irken004 said:

I saw the gameplay trailer on IGN. Looks ok, but I would buy it at retail price (which it is).

Maxsh

Maxsh said:

I'm buying it. Games like this really appeal to me for whatever reason.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Huh, that opening looked kinda weird to me. Looks like a fun game though, so we'll see.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

I've been looking forward to this game ever since I saw it in Nintendo Power's preview issue. I'll definitely be picking it up as soon as I'm able to...

TheSovietChairman

TheSovietChairman said:

I think it looks rather good, actually. It seems to have a nice style to it, and the 2D, 3D interaction should make for some good puzzling.

BlueBandanaJake

BlueBandanaJake said:

I've been looking forward to this for sometime now, glad to see there's a release window now (so I can desperately wait for it). Always supportive of 2D platformers these days, this looks like it'll be something special (much like A Boy and his Blob was).

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

It has been on my radar, but I have too may games ahead of this in my insta-buy list. This is in the same 2nd tier list of "might buy" as Line Attack Heroes, Flip's Twisted World, Aaragon's Quest and Pokepark. Not an insta-buy

shake_zula

shake_zula said:

Another awesome looking game, they're lining up about five times faster than I'm going to be able to buy them. Nice music in this trailer.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

@WiiLovePeace: That's the title it had in Nintendo Power's features as well, it's too bad they didn't stick with it, since it was a better title (in my opinion). Regardless of what it's called, though, it looks like it'll be an awesome game...

jaw51

jaw51 said:

I love the idea, but I saw the gameplay video on IGN and I don't know if I'll get it. I'll wait and see what the reviews say.