Fancy Playing Super Mario Bros. With Other Nintendo Characters? Now You Can

Posted by Trevor Chan

Mario gets by with a little help from his friends

Overly-creative gamers may, from time to time, wish that protagonists from different games would swap roles and see if the grass is indeed greener. We've often wondered what it would be like to have a Mario-centric GTA-style game, complete with unsavoury weapons and potty mouth. Well now it seems that a keen gamer has done his own 'mash-up' of sorts, by recreating the original Super Mario Bros. but with a host of completely controllable additional characters.

Going by the name of explodingRabbit (Jay Pavlina), the creator of the Flash game – entitled Super Mario Bros. Crossover – has made it possible for players to be Simon Belmont (Castlevania), Mega Man (Mega Man), Link (The Legend of Zelda), Samus Aran (Metroid), and a guy from Contra; and for the most part, each character will play like they did in their original games but with a few modifications.

Pavlina is surprised by the amount of positive reaction his tribute game has received, as the project is a solo effort and has taken him over a year to get to where it is today:

I just made this game for fun and didn't expect it to be so popular. People are putting it all over the Internet. It is strange that other people are making money off of my non-profit fan game. For the record, Newgrounds was the website the game debuted on and is the only website that I will update with bug fixes.The only official website for the game is exploding-rabbit.com. Anything else is not my doing. People are free to put the game wherever they want, although I'd rather they not just do it to make money off their own ads.

The game can be played using a keyboard, but Pavlina recommends using a joypad if possible. Players should be aware of a bug though, which messes up the game if players touch the flagpole whilst using the star power-up. For more information including possible expanded versions or sequels, visit his Web site.

[via newgrounds.com]

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

i would love nintendo to liscence this for a wiiware download.
would be an instant download for sure.

Maxsh

Maxsh said:

Yeah, my friend Dean linked me to this yesterday. I was like "YES". I actually play as Link :3

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

Playing SMB as Samus= WIN!

It'd be awesome to see a follow-up using Super Mario World with various characters from other SNES games (including Samus, of course [cape feather= screw attack, anyone?])...

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

This is fun. I played this in study hall because my mean teacher told us not to play shooting games with blood anymore :P Pix linked me this yesterday. My friend played super mario 63 but then saw this and played this :).
Simon is the best.

Starkiller

Starkiller said:

WHY does my computer lag on a simple flash game? :'(
It's great, except for the lag I get.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

When I saw the story I thought it was going to be a lame broken flash game but I wound up being pleasantly surprised. Nice!

irken004

irken004 said:

I love how Mega Man and the other characters can get their respective power-ups when touching the Fire Flower :D

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

The only small quibble I have is that he should've used the Link from Zelda 2 instead of Zelda 1. But otherwise a fantastic fan game.

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

This is awesome, I wish I had joypad to play it better or better yet Nintendo should ask the creator if they could put it on WiiWare

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

what a simple idea - but it makes for the most badass flash game I've ever played. If only it was on Wii Ware!

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

Has anyone downloaded the software so you can use a joypad? It looks a little sketchy, and I want to make sure it is safe before I download it.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

This is actually what I thought Adventure Mode was going to be like in Super Smash Bros. Melee. Good to see my dream finally come true!

I hope that Nintendo accepts this as a fan offering and doesn't try to shut it down, but maybe instead, promote it to the ranks of WiiWare! Of course, they'd need to get permission from all the other companies whose characters are in this game.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Hey, I just added this to my signature not one day ago! Is that where you got the link?

But anyway, this is without a doubt one of the best flash game experiences I've had in a long time. I'm quite partial to Mr. Belmont, myself.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I have been playing it off and on since yesterday. Nintendo needs to try and make a deal with these other companies so they can launch this as a Wiiware title. Props to the creator.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

Best Flash Game EVER. It is fun to play with the other characters, but I think playing as Mario is the best, but I guess that's from being used to playing as him in the real game.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

@LinktotheFuture
I use a Wiimote plugin call Wiiji that maps the wiimote to keyboard buttons like he said. As you can tell, this is perfect for making this just like the VC! :D

Saddler

Saddler said:

This is fantastic! If he updates it, I think Billy Lee or Jimmy Lee would make fantastic additions. I want to get a Goomba in a headlock.

mizumaru

mizumaru said:

I love the fact that the Megaman music is from Three(the best one), but the main sprite is from 2, the shroomed sprite is from 3, while the special attack is from 4, brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZarroTsu

ZarroTsu said:

I'd really like to know why the Zelda 1 link doesn't grow into the Zelda 2 link for the up-stab or something. While the boomerang is nice in theory, I think link is majorly underpowered.

Especially when Bill and Megaman can completely destroy the game.

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

This and Super Mario 63 are officially my favorite games on Newgrounds.

I mean, seriously.
The level of detail (from the sound effects, music, and the way they control) is so high it's off the charts.
A lot of fan-love went into this game, and I really appreciate it.

rusak

rusak said:

Great game! You can also play in original games Super Mario, Contra at www.gamenes.net it's online NES emulator:)