BlazBlue Blows Overseas to Western Shores, Swaps Some Letters on the Way

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Quirky brawler now known as BlayzBloo: Super Melee Brawlers Battle Royale

We reported in December that the hardcore BlazBlue series was soon to make its debut on Nintendo's DSiWare service in the form of a cute, big-headed battle game with full free roaming for 500 Nintendo Points. Known as BlazBlue Battle X Battle in Japan, the ESRB has outed its Western release, known now as BlayzBloo: Super Melee Brawlers Battle Royale and brought over by Aksys Games Localization. They describe the game as follows:

This is an arena-fighter game in which players control small, stubby fighters that compete in fighting matches: last-man standing, hitting opponents to collect soba noodles, and capture-the-flag. The "cartoony" characters mostly punch and kick each other in the arena; characters stagger back and cry out in pain when hit.

We've never been kicked in the arena but it sounds painful. We'll update you with more information as it becomes available and will of course bring you a full review shortly after the game's available on DSiWare.

[via esrb.org]

Terra

Terra said:

I love the new title, adds to the cute style. I still need to get the main BlazBlue game but I do plan to pick up the DSiWare game at some point.

Luigi-La-Bouncy

Luigi-La-Bouncy said:

Looks cool!

I've already got BlazBlue Calamity Trigger and I love it. So I'll be sure to check this out as well.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Hmm... my first reaction to the name change was puking a little bit inside my mouth. Really? Is it that beneficial to take an already silly name and make it that much worse?

But maybe I'm in the minority here...

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Well, now that we have an actual portable BlazBlue on the PSP(which is the game you're thinking of, turtlelink), I honestly don't have any reason to care about this.

sykotek

sykotek said:

I'll grab this the first day its released. At least the title change confirms for me that I have been right in pronouncing it Blaze-Blue the whole time when idiots around me were pronouncing it Blahs-Blue. Yeah, so what, I'm petty.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@Swerd.... :D Maybe someone as Aksys Games got Abducted and was told to change the name.

I love Blazblue on PS3, its by far my favorite fighter I have yet to play. The name change is absolutely horrid. Im so sick of all this catering to kids with stupid names.... I mean come on WTF!

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

I'd say they're trying to be associated with SSBM/SSBB with that title. Parody, perhaps.

AVahne

AVahne said:

damn it, i was going to get it with my free MH3 500 points card, BUT THEY DIDN'T GIVE IT TO ME

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

Neat. The DS needs more Smash Bros-style brawlers considering they currently have none. Or two if you're Japanese, but Jump Superstars kinda sucked. I doubt its sequel was much better. If Blaze Blue needs to be the franchise to do it, then so be it. It looks really cute and fun, and 5 bucks ain't bad at all!

JimLad

JimLad said:

The title sounds like something an Ebay seller would use to get maximum notice by adding pointless related words.
'Super Melee Brawlers' all they need now is 'Bros' on the end. :P

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Wait a minute... why was there any need to change the title if it already has two successful releases in the western market?!

@JimLad
Heheh, you're right! Maybe add in some "SUPER RARE MUST HAVE FUN" for good measure.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

On the other console we had the real Guilty Gears and BlazBlue but on Nintendo's console we had a different game, why?

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

If this game presents a good challenge I dont see why I wouldnt pick this one up.
Cant get here fast enough,TBH.

Tigus

Tigus said:

Must have game, looks to be the best DSiware game I have ever seen this must come to NA ASAP!!
,is that Ragnas theme?