Black Wii Could Hit North America in May

Posted by James Newton

According to several "in the know"

It's been a long time since we first got our hands on a black Wii here at Nintendo Life's European office, but our dear North American cousins are still waiting for the chance to mucky these onyx beauties. According to a new rumour, the wait may soon be over.

Allegedly due to arrive in May 9th in the US and two weeks later over the border in Canada, it's set to mirror the black package available in Europe with a copy of Wii Sports Resort and MotionPlus included. How much will this blissful boxset cost you? Why, apparently only USD$199.99, if these rumours are to be believed. And hey, isn't that what rumours are all about?

As soon as the official Nintendo press releases plops into our inboxes we'll be sure to let you know the skinny. Until then, imagine your white Wii is a black one by playing with all the lights off tonight.

[via kotaku.com]

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

I probably would have chosen black if I had the chance from the beginning, but I'm certainly not going to buy another console just for the color.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

Hopefully they'll let you transfer downloaded games, so you don't have to take one apart and transplant your old Wii's motherboard into it to retain the games you've paid for.

sykotek

sykotek said:

Not that I plan on getting one for the reasons stated above, but I wonder if they do release a Black Wii here in NA whether we will also be getting Wii Sports Resort and Wii Motion Plus. Nah, they'll probably just nickel and dime us.

Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote said:

I'm thinking about getting a replacement Wii as my original is approaching the three-years-in-service mark. There was a scary period in which games would freeze but that problem hasn't surfaced in months.

What's stopping me from getting the black Wii and giving the original one to my mother (my mother always gets my hand-me-down electronics) is the fact that all of my downloadable purchases are non-transferable. I may just ignore it and purchase "best of" WiiWare and VC titles for the new console, but I don't know...$199.99 USD could afford a 19" HDTV so I could play SMG 2 in 480p.

Decisions, decisions...

2009monash

2009monash said:

the black wii is well worth it, my ex wife kept the white one(with about 80 vc titles)

that was a good reason to buy a black one, good deal withg the motion plus and wiisports resort included....

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

If it's the same package as the UK for $200, that's a steal. Once again, Wii would be the hands down cheapo value option. I'd assume the original white one would go down to $150-$170 as well. Makes sense too with the black classic controller pro release.

Already have a white Wii that I think is attractive and iconic, with 2 nice matching Wiimotes, Nunchucks, and WM+ along with WSR and a handful of nontransferable downloads, so I'll be skipping out. Great deal for those who want/need a second Wii for some reason or the 20 people left in America without one already.

99er

99er said:

The black console looks really sharp, I was hoping they would of announced a few more colors, sort of like what they promised when the system was released.

Sort of like this

Caliko

Caliko said:

This might remain just a rumor seeing how its already April 27th. Nintendo would have already released a statement to get the consumers going.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I find it extremely unlikely that this is just a rumor. Not considering the number of sources Kotaku listed. I'd check at work, but I don't have any hours this week.:(

But yeah, it kind of does seem like the regular white Wii would need a price drop if this released at the same price with at least $50 worth of extra stuff in the box. I guess it won't be too long until we know for sure, at least.

NintendoWorld1

NintendoWorld1 said:

The black Wii's must have sold well in Europe and Japan for Nintendo of America to sell them in North America. I'm glad for you guys we got them and it's only fair, I got a black one becuse they were 'Limited editions' over here. Only thing I did wrong was to buy Sports Resort before buying it, The Wii has been out for over 3 years now so I do wonder how many black Wii's the big N will sell and they should have released it sooner but at the end of the day it's not my concern Nintendo makes enough money out of me...

Also will they do what they did with the DSi? and launch the Wii2 in a few months time, what I'm getting at is the DSi and then they launched the DSi XL...

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

The DSiXL is no successor to the DSi. Even if they announce the next generation Nintendo Console at E3 (which I highly doubt) it will take at least until the end of next year for it to be released.

Donatello

Donatello said:

I'll stick with the White Wii, personally it makes it look more whimsical, along with the White Wii Remote.

NintendoGamer

NintendoGamer said:

I would love to get a black Wii, but what about all the VC titles downloaded on my white Wii? I would want an easy way to transfer them from one console to the other. Nintendo needs to figure out a way to address this. I'm tired of always worrying about what will happen to my VC games.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

@Tri4ceHolder: No, you can't. VC and WiiWare Games are coded so that only the Wii that you bought the game from would be able to play the game. This is meant to stop piracy. And I'm so glad I'm not racist. LOL

This seems good for people in the NA who want a Wii but are too hesitant because of the white finish. If they had these three years ago when I got a Wii, I would've got the black one.