Want Kid Icarus? Hey, Just Ask

Posted by James Newton

Nintendo producer says "yo, speak up"

There's a huge list of classic Nintendo properties crying out for current-gen remakes, but one ever-present feature on the list is Kid Icarus. Absent from Nintendo systems for years, with the exception of a very cool appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Pit has been all-but forgotten. You want that to change though, right? Well, might be time to let the right people know.

Yoshio Sakomoto, one of the game's creators, said in a recent interview with Kotaku that although no game is currently underway, nobody's ruled it out:

I don't know personally about any project underway regarding Kid Icarus, but if so many of those people are interested in it and really want to see it on the Wii they should really speak up.

So there you have it – the power rests in your hands, Nintendo fans of the world. Might be time to take up your quills and let someone at Nintendo know that you want to see Pit return. Or, you know, tell them you want a new F-Zero, your call.

[via kotaku.com]

Oregano

Oregano said:

Just tell us where to Sakamoto! It'd be nice if the Club Nintendo questionnaires were more open ended, asking us what we want!

Link79

Link79 said:

Not really sure why people want a new Kid Icarus anyway. The original wasn't that great to begin with. Some folks have a weird Idea of great games. If they could do it right I might be up for it but my hopes will remain low.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Yeah.... way to disregard all the other comments prior to this event that have been asking for it to happen. I'm with Link79, though, I'm not gonna jump for joy over a new KI. Now a new F-Zero is another story.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

All we had to do was ask? Really? It was that simple?...
...
...Where's the fun in that? :P

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

Ok if we can ask then...Kid icarus wii. F-zero wii, pilotwings wii, starfox wii, pikmin wii, and yoshi island wii. Please and thank you in advance.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

A Kid Icarus would be VERY interesting! Since generations have passed since the GB sequel I´d expect some nice improvements in both gameplay and graphics. I´d probably buy it, my dream would be a new adventure in a Greek mythology setting for Wii.

Saber

Saber said:

BobberyFan98

BobberyFan98 said:

I have never played one in the series, but if it came out for Wii, I would definitely get it! Go for it Nintendo! :D

-BF98 ;)

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

"I don't think this would be a good idea because the old kid icarus wasen't that good"

It's also pretty much exactly the same as the old Metroid on the NES, they're practically the same game. So I'd love a 3rd person Metroid Prime version of it :P

BomberJjr

BomberJjr said:

Sure Nintendo, just give us a platform for us to speak up. If your reading this, we're saying it now. We want a Kid Icarus game!!! I'm pretty sure you know we've waned one if anyone over there at HQ has ever been on this internet thing. Do you need us to form a million man riot outside of Iwata's house to get the point?

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

StarFox would work best on the Wii, but a kid icarus would be a very close second. in fact, i would buy a kid icarus, a starfox, and a f-zero. so how's about this: you give us Mario, Zelda and Metroid this year, and in 2011 (or 2012 if that's unrealistic) you give us Kid Icarus, StarFox, and F-Zero. deal? money for you and fun for us. sounds win-win. let's go with that.

Viper6391

Viper6391 said:

Starfox Wii and make Fox only use vehicles and no ground combat with Fox out using guns. That was my least favorite part of Star Fox Assault. Also, bring back the sub! I haven't seen it since the N64 version.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I tought Miyamoto said that they were working on it. And haven't we spoken out enough. I remember everyone on the world wide web anticipating Kid Icarus at the E3, only to get Wii Music.

ECM

ECM said:

It's reading things like this that you get a crystal clear view into how out-of-touch the Japanese parent companies are in regards to what their fans not in Japan want as people have been screaming for a Kid Icarus since the GameBoy version, and it's only intensified in recent years.

primeris

primeris said:

Survey:
Age:
How big of a fan of Kid Icarus are you?

By ignoring the fans for so long, Nintendo has created a gap in its fan base.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I'm not sure a million different gamers asking for a million different games is going to convince them to pull Kid Icarus out of retirement. Not that I don't think it'll ever happen: to me, the fact that there are so many old Nintendo properties ripe for sequels is a comforting reminder that Nintendo has a long way to go before running out of ideas. :) Personally, I want Captain Falcon to be the next familiar face to grace the Wii, but until then, I'll be occupied with WarioWare D.I.Y. and Nintendo will be occupied with Metroid: Other M. What a catastrophe. :P

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

What if you don't want a new Kid Icarus game? Can I speak up about that?

Honestly, I can't think of any way that they could improve the series without taking out some of the features that made it unique when compared to Metroid. Not that I'm complaining, since I personally thought the unique features in Kid Icarus sucked, but then it would be too much like Metroid, and I'm certain that in the end, I would rather just play Metroid.:P

Supermegaman

Supermegaman said:

think about it... 3d kid icarus with a new peripheral that allows the connection of 2 wiiM+ remotes which can be easily separeted so you can slash with the 2 swords or 1... Im not sure how you would move though... :P

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Make a new Kid Icarus (with adjustable difficulty settings), and a new Super Mario RPG!

KingMike

KingMike said:

Okay, Pit fans.
I guess that means you need to send them a spoof of the SMB3 ad. :)
Pit! Pit! Pit! Pit!

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Maybe it would help if we pretended to be Japanese. Then they'd listen to us.

Kid Icarus ください?

Knux

Knux said:

Kid Icarus or F-Zero on the Wii would be great, but Star Fox Wii would be AWESOME!!

accc

accc said:

[FONT SIZE = 1 BILLION]
HEY NINTENDO MAKE A NEW KID ICARUS! AND A NEW F-ZERO!
[/FONT]

rhythmheavenfan

rhythmheavenfan said:

Starfox and Donkey Kong games would be nice. And I mean an ACTUAL DK game, like DK Country or DK64, not the stupid games that have come out recently.

Toon_Link

Toon_Link said:

Give me that and a Starfox and all of my dreams will have come true.
Not really but still.

Kingbuilder

Kingbuilder said:

I already gave them an e-mail pleading for a new Kid Icarus a few weeks ago. I can't wait for a sequel...

JayArr

JayArr said:

If it was just as easy as aking we would have had Earthbound on VC a long time ago!!!

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Really? All we had to do was speak out?? Clearly they dont' spend a lot of time on Gamespot message boards. Every fracking day there's a thread about "Wii need a Kid Icarus Wii!"

And you know what? I agree. Please, Nintendo, do something with this franchise!

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Even though Kid Icarus went horizontal for many of its stages, I really like the vertical nature of much of the gameplay. I also liked some of the iconic characters: The Reaper and the Eggplant Wizard especially.

I liked the mystery pots, the stores, the weird maze stages, the super strange collection of monsters, I also liked the idea of optionally freeing the statues so they could help you against bosses. That could be expanded upon.

Chief among all this is that it was a super jumpy game, so a first person shooter take on the game would be a big no no in my book. Let's see a third person 2D-ish gameplay with some 3D flourishes like maybe a 3D layout for the rooms in the "maze" stages and some interesting perspective on the vertical stages. Maybe a couple of totally 3D starfox like flying stages to break things up (which happens in the original without the 3D).

What I like about the idea is that there is tons of potential to be creative and wild with ideas because no one is going to complain too much. :)

One thing I'd like is for the tone to not be too serious. The original was slightly goofy and fun while having a nasty difficulty curve. I enjoyed that. We have enough serious in Metroid and Zelda.

As far as differentiation from the other franchises, Kid Icarus is sort of a cross between Mario, Zelda and Metroid. Mario because it's primarily a linear platformer. Zelda for the fantasy adventure feeling, the maze levels (also metroid-y) and quirkiness. Metroid for the jump and shoot mechanics.

I'd personally be more interested in a game like this than any of the other suggestions in this thread.

Jeroen1

Jeroen1 said:

You and I...must make a pact

We must bring salvation back

Where there is love, I'll be there

BJWanlund

BJWanlund said:

Star Fox Wii ain't gonna happen unless Yokoi's family stops fighting Nintendo. So stop screaming about it.

Back on topic: You bet I want a Kid Icarus Wii! And I'd love a remixed Of Myths & Monsters underworld theme, please.

BJ

Donatello

Donatello said:

Hell yes! Nintendo revived the awesome and rad-tastic Punch-Out!! Now it's time for Kid Icarus :D

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Where are we supposed to go to let them know what we want? Obviously the internet isn't the answer... :(

Courtest1

Courtest1 said:

Yeah, I definitely want to see Star fox for the Wii. I could care less about Kid Icarus. Why, all of the sudden, does Nintendo want the okay from their fans? Nobody has seen pit in years! I think if Nintendo wants the okay, they should do it anyway. They let tons of third party people put crappy stuff on their console all the time! Why would Nintendo be scared to try something new, especially now!

Snoopy

Snoopy said:

would overlook a new Ki. i would be more interested in wiiware remakes of classics. f-zero with visual updates and online play for example. I would rather have new wiiware games over vc games.

CheifThunder

CheifThunder said:

Kid icurus in the form of gears of war,with a real punk b*&^h attitude.
'you messed wth the pit,DIEEEE',while firing 3 arrows into a beasts skull'Dont ruffle my F$%&ing feathers homie'.

premko

premko said:

StarFox Wii, Pilot Wings Wii, 1080 Wii, Wave Race Wii, Kid Icarus Wii some new Wario/WarioWare games ,and a bit of big DSi hits !!!

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

KID ICARUS rocks!! Not only the original I grew up with, but the Gameboy sequel is also great. I think it's time for a 20 year anniversary sequel game!

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

What's the point? Nintendo is infamous for ignoring what everyone says and what everyone else is doing. They live in thier own stupid bubble world. If they don't know about the stink fans have been making for YEARS now about a new g-damn Kid Icarus for Wii, then what hope do we have now?

Stupid, ignorant Nintendo...

Brennan

Brennan said:

That would be great!! But I also agree with a lot of people on here that it is time for a new Star Fox as well!!

Rensch

Rensch said:

Seeing the original had similarities with Zelda and particularly Metroid, a 3D action adventure with Pit would be awesome seeing those games are two of the best, if not THE best 2D-3D transitions ever.

JimLad

JimLad said:

The general consensus always seems to be that the fans want Star Fox, surely it must be somewhere on their list of things to do by now.

Personally the franchise that needs updating the most I think is Donkey Kong. And by that I mean a proper 3D platformer to follow on where Rare left off. DK does not deserve to become spin-off fodder in sports and party games. It was his name that basically launched their company as a video games manufacturer.

On the question of Kid Icarus: I thought there were pretty strong rumours a while ago about a new game in the works, but I guess this guys statement pretty much debunks them.
If something is made, I think it should be a WiiWare sequel to the 2D games.
If they try to make him 3D, people will compare it to Zelda and it would likely flop commercially.
Also: Kid Icarus > Metroid, Kid Icarus > Metroid, Kid Icarus > Metroid, Kid Icarus > Metroid :P

Adam

Adam said:

2-D or no-D, Pit. I'm not giving you any other options.

Also, I would just like to say "In your face" to everyone claiming IGN's repeated rumors of a Retro-made 3-D Kid Icarus were essentially proof of the game's existence.

In your face.

primeris

primeris said:

Well, various properties I'd like sequels for (from all over) I'd like Faxanadu and Trojan and Xexyz and Double Dragon and Ikari Warriors and Kabuki Quantum Fighter and Legacy of the Wizard and Guardian Legend and Astyanax and Gargoyle's Quest and Section Z and a zillion things from Squenix. And Kid Icarus. And many more.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

@Token Girl

According to Google Translate, you just said that Kid Icarus was primitive/unsophisticated. I agree. :)

A1234

A1234 said:

no thanks to Kid Icarus.
how about Mario Bros, Popeye, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Donkey Kong 3?

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I hereby put my name down for Star Fox, Pilotwings (would be a great way to utilise & demonstrate MotionPlus!), F-Zero, Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus, Pikmin (3rd iteration that makes use of motion in an innovative way please) & Wave Race (online multiplayer with real world courses please) all to return to the Wii (& by return I don't mean VC, I mean new games for these franchises!). Oh & thanks Nintendo for Metroid's return to 2D (sort of) & Sin & Punishment 2 - bring on more of the old school revival! :-D

Larkin

Larkin said:

Nintendo should make a reality TV show to see how far people will go to get a new current gen remake

nice_shirt

nice_shirt said:

Any new Kid Icarus game should focus on bow and arrow combat with the motion+ at center stage. A Kid Icarus re-imagining done with the thought and care of the Metroid Prime series would be so awesome!

RetroWarrior

RetroWarrior said:

Kid Icarus, Starfox and F-Zero! Besides the upcoming highlights of this year, I want to see new games from these three franchises!

Boonehams

Boonehams said:

How to make a good 3D Kid Icarus for Wii:
Take God of War, tone down the violence (and remove the sex and nudity) to get a Teen rating, focus a lot more on platforming, throw in the bad guys from the previous games (Death, Eggplant Wizard, etc.) and make the MacGuffins the mystical armor. For variety, throw in free-roaming flying stages and end the game with a flying battle with the giant Medusa (similar to Star Fox Adventures). Voila--instant sales. You're welcome, Nintendo.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

new kid icarus, more wario, dsi vc, captain rainbow for the west and most importantly mother series for the west!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Acidfoxdyi831

Acidfoxdyi831 said:

yes make a new 1 in new to him i dnt know anything about him so it would be great time to learn

make new kid icurus and STARFOX WII!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND F-ZERO

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Why are people yelling about Starfox and F-Zero? There's a new Kid Icarus on the line here, people!

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

Why not just give us an F-zero Wii, Pikmin 3, and Star Fox Wii, huh Nintendo?
(Oh and yeah, a new Kid Icarus would be nice too. ;))

Nintendophile

Nintendophile said:

Take Smash Bros. Pit along with the side-scrolling levels from the story-mode in Smash Bros, make it into a full-fledged game, add a coat of Greek Mythology to the whole thing, and I'd be a happy camper. Heck, you've already got all the source code to do it!

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

@91: Yeah, we can always dream: http://slipgunk.deviantart.com/art/Faxanadu-II-142583320

And seriously, Nintendo´s got the tallent to make a new Kid Icarus great. A mix of linear levels and exploring, archery-action and a limited flight... I´d definitly buy it.

And the old Kid Icarus is still great, it´s not even as hard as most people think. Just learn how to complete the first 2 levels, draw a map of the dungeons, and the rest will be a piece of cake!

ogo79

ogo79 said:

how about a remake of clash at demon head and river city ransom? both of those games were ahead of their time

Rm88

Rm88 said:

I liked the NES Kid Icarus, and loved the Gameboy one. I'd buy Kid Icarus Wii.

said:

Pit's appearance in Brawl was cool? That's news to me!

jorenmartijn

jorenmartijn said:

What about a LostWinds-like iteration of Kid Icarus? Icarian: Kindred Spirits proofed it can be done.
Oh, and I'd like a StarFox Wii based around StarFox Adventures too. That'd be great. I never had the opportunity to try that game, which is a real shame. Games like StarFox Assault and 64 never pulled me like an adventure game does.

RADE

RADE said:

Super Smash Bros. Mayhem please!!
haha, i'm already ready for the next one.. even gave it a 'title'.

J_D

J_D said:

Hey Nintendo, all your core fans would really appreciate games from all of your classic franchises. NOT just Zelda and Mario. So please, get off your lazy top-selling-console-ass and start producing what your fans want or you may find microsoft kicking in the balls before you know it. Capcom and Ubisoft seem to have their hands full, why can't the great japanese innovators keep up?

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@LegendofPasta

When I translate it, it says Kid Icarus please (ok, actually it said please kid icarus, but...whatever...that's still what I meant).

Weird that that's what you got. :P

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Maybe I should dress up as Pit and visit Mr. Sakomoto's house. Would that convince him? :D

GC-161

GC-161 said:

Until a new Kid Icarus gets made... you can all go to Wiiware and download NyxQuest.

Good game... better than nothing.

Phobos

Phobos said:

This is what would really rock if brought back into this generation: Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Star Fox, Kirby and Pikmin. All on Wii! And some on DS if you can. :)

Maybe even this life-simulation/adventure game for Wii, where you can explore different worlds, and join your friends on some worlds. There can be under-water, outer-space, air, Earth etc. Just a thought. :)

Brainhost

Brainhost said:

"(...) they should really speak up"

Is that a joke? What rock was it again they lived under?

Ergon_Ronay

Ergon_Ronay said:

Or send me a Japanese version and I can translate it...Just cant find one for love nor money!!!!!!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

The Lost 2 KI Series:
I want a new KI game so bad too. Of course I'm talking about Kid Icarus but if you thought Killer Instinct you bet I was refering to that too. I want both KIs, either had Retro Studio make one or buy Rare back and get back our other KI.