Mr Driller to Burrow Into DSiWare

Posted by James Newton

Drill Till you Drop, chums

We love a bit of drilling action here at Nintendo Life – in fact, we recently called Mr Driller Drill Spirits one of our favourite ever ways to pass time on the big white throne. Well, soon you'll be able to get your drill on with no cartridge required, as the previously Japanese-only title Drill Till You Drop for DSiWare has been confirmed for a Western release.

Coming to the DSiWare storefront in April, Drill Till You Drop (known as MD:DTYD, abbreviation fans) offers forty stages, six playable characters and an all-new Dristone mode. We've already played it and were pretty pleased with what we saw. Want to know more? Let Namco Bandai's press release show you the way:

SANTA CLARA, Calif., (MARCH 22, 2010) – Leading video game publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc., today announced Mr. DRILLER®: Drill till you Drop™ for the Nintendo DSi™ handheld system. Featuring a roster of improved features that enhance the classic Mr. DRILLER action puzzler experience, Mr. DRILLER: Drill till you Drop will be available for download at the Nintendo DSi™ Shop in April 2010.

Representing a piece of timeless puzzler gameplay from the arcades of yesteryear, Mr. DRILLER: Drill till you Drop takes the classic gameplay of the Mr. DRILLER series and enhances it with 6 unique playable characters, over 40 stages, multiple modes, and dual screen action. Additionally, the Nintendo DSi system’s dual screen format offers a new strategic element as players have the added ability to foresee incoming falling blocks from above.

Mission mode tasks players to dig through ever increasingly deeper or more challenging locales. Time Attack mode enables players to race against the clock to reach your predestined goals. In addition to Mission mode and Time Attack mode, Mr. DRILLER: Drill till you Drop features the Nintendo DSi exclusive Dristone mode where players drill through a labyrinth of stones to collect the Dristones which can be used to gain distinct advantages.

Mr. DRILLER: Drill till you Drop is rated “E” for everyone by the ESRB and will be available for download at the Nintendo DSi Shop in April. For more information about the game, please visit http://www.namcobandaigames.com.

[via gonintendo.com]

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Oh nice. I loved the WiiWare version (as you can probably tell from my review) and having it on my DSi...well, let's just say it'll got a lot of playtime.

:-)

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

It's great value for money; you're only missing panic mode and multiplayer from the Drill Spirits cart (and the theme song and intro...well, that might make it worthwhile).

@Chibi Link: since this is a scaled-down version of Drill Spirits I wouldn't count on Japanese audio; if that's really important to you I'd just import the Japanese version of Drill Spirits.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

It's funny how they bring quirky Japanese games to the rest of the world and then they think the people who buy these games wouldn't like quirky Japanese audio.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I used to have the lovely little ditty Drill Spirits DS. Not any more, but I'll be downloading this.

JayArr

JayArr said:

Best news I've heard all day! I haven't downloaded a DSiware in months.so I'm looking forward to this one.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@JayArr... yeah really, after that horrible news that Nintendo is dropping the DS into 3D World, this is more up my alley.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

I heard that the US version of Drill Spirits dropped the Dristone mode (also explains the "DSi exclusive" claim) so this download is actually a better deal for them.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Yes, that's true, the US version of Drill Spirits also lacks multiplayer I believe, so you're only missing the Panic Mode if you're in the States and don't want to import the cart from Europe or Japan.

3230ru

3230ru said:

@15 yes. but there are games like Drill Spirits, GTA, Tenchu DS etc. featurung really small objects, which at my opinion were asking for bigger screens.