Miyamoto Humbly Accepts BAFTA Fellowship Award

Posted by Trevor Chan

Dedicates it to all of his co-workers

There can be no denying that the video games industry creates the kind of social impacts that are not dissimilar to those found in the TV, film, and music sectors. It seems fitting that the British Academy of Film and Television Arts has been hosting separate award ceremonies for the video games industry since 1998. After all, the line between the two art forms seems to be getting thinner with each decade that passes, with "interactivity" often being the main difference.

Since it was announced last month that Nintendo's legendary game designer Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong among many other beloved series', would be the recipient of the Academy Fellowship at this year's British Academy Video Games Awards, we here at Nintendo Life have been delighted that recognition of his work has been awarded at such a prestigious event. May there be plenty more gems of imagination that get turned into instant-favourites and looked back on as classics. [glasses raised]

Upon accepting the Fellowship to a rapturous standing-ovation, Miyamoto said:

I would like to thank BAFTA for this great honour... I feel humbled because I cannot develop a video game just by myself. I'm rather embarrassed to receive such an award as a personal award. Therefore, I'm receiving the award together with everyone who has worked with me in the past 30 years, and I'd like to thank each one of those people for their hard work. Thank you.

What can we say? Such class. To watch Miyamoto's acceptance speech in its entirety, as well as the introduction of the Academy Fellowship, check out the link to the video here. The Academy Fellowship category starts at the 8:50 mark, with Miyamoto coming on-stage to accept the award at 18:00.

[via link.brightcove.com]

Cipher

Cipher said:

@V8 Ninja: What, you think makiing games for Nintendo is his only job?

Don't tell anyone, though. He would have to kill you with his Nunchuks.

Machu

Machu said:

Great speech, if a little sad. I do wish he wouldn't talk about his age like that. D:

Nintendo's current strength and impressive back catalogue are proof of how inspiring this man is, and... he's humble too. Can you imagine working with him? I always have. :)

I love you Shigsy, thank you!

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I'm glad he thought to say that. Seeing how the games and characters he created have evolved, you just can't ignore the people keeping them up to the same standards he established (and by no narrow margin!). Certainly a proud moment for Nintendo, and probably the whole game industry. :)

RedBlueSpot

RedBlueSpot said:

HAHAHAHA!! I first read the article and THEN I read the picture text. You really took off the seriousness with that line. "It'sa mee Miyamoto.." HAHAHA!!!

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

This guy truly deserves recognition for what he has done. He managed to help saved the gaming industry, that alone should have gotten him the award.

But he did a thousand times more then that and I'm really proud of him and Nintendo in general.

Cia

Cia said:

Miyamoto's 100th award. Well, he's deserved it, if anyone.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

What's that translate to, Klapaucius? Must be a congratulating message in Japanese, right? :)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

From Donkey Kong to Super Mario Galaxy 2, long live Segeru Myamoto; long live Nintendo, and long live Mario's legacy ;)

JimLad

JimLad said:

Knowing the Japanese life expectancy, there are probably still several more decades of Miyamoto games to come. :>

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Go Mr. Miyamoto! Well deserved and well recieved, without you Mario wouldn't exist! (Shocking to imagine such a tragic world, I know) Thank you for the brilliant creativity & fun you have bestowed upon the world.

Long live Shigeru Miyamoto!

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Congrats Mr. Miyamoto. True to your word, you can't accept that award without thanking everyone that helped along the way for 3 decades!

お祝い! ;)

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

The montage shown before he accepts his award is worth watching, including remarks from Will Wright, Nolan Bushnell, and others... a class act and a humble genius. You the man, Miyamoto-san.

said:

He should dedicate the award to his coworkers, they did all the work he's taking the credit for!

MarioFan1985

MarioFan1985 said:

Well, this does not surpirse me that Miyamoto would receive such a high praise award likw that from the west. Personally, I call him the "Walt Disney" of video games, he made video games a profitable business. I am hoping that he would soon receive an American VG award of some kind, becuase he deserves it.