Ubisoft Limbers Up For Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Posted by

New screens and release date revealed

Ubisoft has today come full circle with the Prince of Persia franchise as it revealed new screens and details on Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands for the Wii, the game tied to the movie based on the games. Whew.

The game has been built from the ground up for the Wii and will introduce fans of the series to new characters in a brand new storyline in which the prince has powers that are said to transcend both nature and time.

After leaving his father’s kingdom to prove his worth, the Prince is drawn toward a mysterious realm. He quickly discovers that he must harness his acrobatic abilities and powers over the environment to not only survive, but to save a mystic palace from unfathomable evil.

Sounds mysterious! Ubisoft promise a reinvention of the classic acrobatic Prince of Persia gameplay with treacherous traps to overcome, elaborate puzzles to solve and massive enemies to defeat.

Details surrounding the new powers that the prince possesses over the sand are yet to be officially revealed, apart from these will be crucial in uncovering new areas to explore that would otherwise be inaccessible.

The prince is currently scheduled to unsheathe his sword on May 18 in the US, ten days before the movie premieres.

Ren

Ren said:

uh - oh. What to expect from a game based on a movie of a game that was once great?

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I sincerely hope the producer of this game takes a page from The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and focuses on making a good game rather than trying to follow a film script. We can also hope that given this is a film based upon an IP Ubisoft owns, that they've been working on the game at least as long as the film has been in production rather than being a rush job to meet a film street date.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Looks great from the stills (possibly retouched), sounds great from the press release... but will it blend?
I'm cautiously optimistic, UbiSoft has burned me before...
goes back to playing *PoP:Sands of Time for GC on his Wii

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

there are so many ways this could turn out. with the right team behind it, though, i'm looking forward to must-buy excellence.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@sean aaron
The creators of Ultimate Destruction did make a prequel that was based on the movie. It was pretty bad.

It's about time Prince of Persia came to Wii, and a ground-up version as well. I sure hope it doesn't turn out like Avatar, a very rushed, very average product.

Ren

Ren said:

First Prince of Persia, huh? Wow, I feel like every time I saw a computer in a store as a teenager, it had the old side view prince of persia playing on it and I was like "wow! look-it how he runs and jumps all real-like! I'ma win the lottery and get me one a them PC's one day, too!"

Croz

Croz said:

I hope this turns out to be good, as the last PoP for the 360 was F-ing terrible.

hobbes

hobbes said:

Well, if the platforming is anything like Sands of Time, count me in. :D

I hope it will be more focused on platforming and jumping puzzles ala SoT, rather than combat like Warrior Within and Two Thrones.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Wait, there seriously is a movie? Wow...I guess I'll have to go see it. Is the main character gonna narrate like he did in the game? And everytime the dude dies, ho goes "wait wait wait...that's not how it happened"?

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

@STOOPIDDITTIES: No, there will also be a HD-version released for Xbox360, PS3 and PC.

If the game turns out to be good I will certainly buy the Xbox360 or PS3 version (I don't have a PS3 yet but planning to buy one this year). Multiplatform titles on Wii make sense only for people who don't have another next gen console in my opinion.

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

@Panda: But will the different version on Wii be better than the HD ones? I don't think so. I'm afraid that the Wii version will offer only "a more casual experience" with silly remote controls.