Sonic & Knuckles Coming to EU Virtual Console on 12th February

Posted by Rebecca Gunn

Sega due to finally complete the Mega Drive series

It's been a big day for hedgehog fans. Along with the Sonic 4 reveal today, Sega has also let slip that Sonic & Knuckles is now Wii-bound at long last.

The 1994 title is a follow-on from Sonic 3 story-wise, continuing the journey of Sonic as he takes down the Death Egg, and Knuckles's path as he reclaims Angel Island after learning of Robotnik's treachery. It's also the last title in the original series, setting up the story for the events of Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

There's no word yet on whether Sonic & Knuckles will come with the lock-on feature at all (used to gain Knuckles in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles) or if it will be a standalone title, although the Japanese VC release does have the connectivity in place. However it turns out, Sonic fans certainly have a lot to look forward to in the coming months.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Instant down load for me! Never played this game, I sold my Mega Drive then this came out... Had it on a hand held gadget until a friend of mine nabbed it and the Game cube Mega collection.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Just wondering how will this work with Sonic 2 VC?

Oh yeah, it won't. Damn.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Much better news than Sonic the Hedgehog 4 for me. Seperating a Sonic game into several episodes? No thanks. I never actually owned Sonic & Knuckles so it'll be sweet to be able to finally get it for myself.

Mingo73

Mingo73 said:

I'm just gonna wait for Sonic Classic Collection on the DS… it has Sonic 1, 2, and 3, plus Sonic & Knuckles!

RebeccaGunn

RebeccaGunn said:

@PJ if the Japanese title locks on then so too should the EU version I would imagine. Sega know they cant release this title without it anymore after the stink kicked up with Ultimate Mega Drive/Genesis Collection on PS3 and Xbox 360 lacking the option.

@Dragoon Sega are not normally ones to leave their bigger releases hanging too long, cant imagine S&K is too far off now its been localized (it could also be that the american branch hasn't announced in advance yet)

ZarroTsu

ZarroTsu said:

@Yosher
I'm pretty sure S3K was intended on being a single game in the first place, but was split up due to hardware limitations at the time. For all we know Sonic 4 may very well be split up into only 2 or 3 "episodes", just as S3K was split into S3 and SK.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

:D Cool. But personally I'm gonna hold off buying the VC versions and get Classic Collection instead.

Yosher

Yosher said:

@ZarroTsu
I wasn't complaining about Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I see S&K as an add-on for all 3 Sonic games, which is completely different from what Sonic 4 is doing with the episodes. Depending on Sonic 4's price and the actual amount of episodes, I may still get them, but if they release 10 episodes for 1000 points each, or something close to that, then I won't be getting it.

ZarroTsu

ZarroTsu said:

@Yosher
I'd like to think they release 4-7 full 3-act zones every 'episode', and total in at 14 Zones. $100 total for 7 - 14 zones is unrealistic and silly :x But I see what you mean; they'll probably keep the overall purchase budget under $40, though.

Yosher

Yosher said:

@ZarroTsu
If you're right, which I hope you are, then I might still consider getting it, but I'd still much rather have it as a whole package. I'll wait for now to see if it gets released as one, or how many episodes there will eventually be, at that. This news is still rather disappointing to me, though.

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

I won't be downloading, simply because I still have the original carts for my Mega Drive II. However, anyone who has yet to play this, download it. Now.

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

@Yosher
What's ironic is that they pretty much did the same thing with Sonic 3.
Money being the one of the strongest reasons (Sonic 3 already have some size of considerable stuff off S&K done). They could release it fully but they didn't.
By what an Sega representant said it's going for the same way as various people said already.

@Pj
If the same as the jp vc.
Let you play Sonic 2 as Knuckles

dings

dings said:

So how does the lock on work? Does it detect that you have it downloaded somehow or does it just come with all three games?

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

@dings
Stop and think a bit.
How it was originally and which one of those possibilities is the better for business.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles... that's the only Sonic game you'll ever need... until 4 comes out, lol... hmmm... Sonic the Hedgehog 4 & Knuckles?!

...

Nah, lol... maybe...

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

This timing is shameless promotion of Sonic 4. I'm ok with it. I still have it on my Genesis, but it's nice to know that if it dies, I can still get my lockon action! Yay!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Looking at the screenshots, I can't help but wonder why I never played this one more. I'll have to give it another go this weekend and see if I can get further than Zone 2.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I find this game much tougher than Sonic 3. The Sandopolis, Lava Reef, and Death Egg Zone are pretty challenging levels. I can pretty much breeze through Sonic 3 without losing a life.

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

Another Sonic game in 50 Hz? I regret still that I bought the first Sonic game on Virtual Console especially since the Ultimate Sega Megadrive Collection was released.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Going to down load this tomorrow! Can't wait, I've only played it on a hand held mega drive emulator (Wasn't bad the gadget)

Nah North America won't wait long... But could Europe have Super Mario Kart? Just imagine that we could really swap, Oh blast- region lock.