OpaOpa and ChuChu's Rocket into Sega and Sonic All-Stars Racing

Posted by Rebecca Gunn

Jacky, Akira and Bonanza Bros join the fun too

Sumo Digital are shaping up Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing is full of goodies for Sega fans old and new. The offical website has been updated to bring the full character list up to speed and they include the sentient ship Opa Opa of the Fantasy Zone series and a quadruple of ChuChus from the Dreamcast and GameBoy Advance classic Chu Chu Rocket.

Also confirmed are Jacky and Akira, two characters from the Virtua Fighter series teaming up in a slick sports car and Bonanza Bros of the arcade title of the same name.

Most of those are fairly recognisable, but some may not recall the Bonanza Bros: they had one arcade title ported to Mega Drive and PC Engine in 1990 and that's been their only appearance. Yet still these guys are not the most obscure characters on the list; that honour goes to Zobio and Zobiko, a zombie couple from House of the Dead EX, a Japan-only arcade spin-off of Sega's popular Zombie shooter series.

For those concerned about certain purple jesters, NiGHTS is there waving the flag to start and end races too thanks to a devoted fan campaign.

[via sega.com]

Related Games

Aviator

Aviator said:

This games character roster will be awesome. I wonder who our character will be, I don't want it to be Mario, but...

EDIT: Forgot about us getting Miis. YAY! (sarcasm)

JakobG

JakobG said:

Wow, so many Sonic characters...
It's impressive how a character still leads a brand, though everyone hated it for, about, 15 years for bad games.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Oh my god it's Alex Kidd! (on the left) in 3D!
Always wondered what he would look like today.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

This game needs a Panzer Dragoon dragon as DLC, preferable Edge's or Orta's. That would be WONDERFUL. Also hoping that the owners of ToeJam & Earl allow Sega to put them in the game as DLC, too.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

There are soooooooo many better characters to choose than Big the effing retarted Cat.

Boonehams

Boonehams said:

Don't forget that Jacky and Akira are driving a red Ferrari Testerossa convertible, referencing the Out Run series. They crammed in TONS of franchises with this line-up -- way more than I thought they would.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Really, no NiGHTS or Ristar? But they do include some obscure characters like the Bonanza Bros. and House of the Dead EX. Ugh...I just hope the game is as good as it looks, I'm already down two racers I wanted to play as.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

This game is great the demo is avalible on the 360. Everyone should support it on the PS3 or 360 so Sega will put DLC in the game which they said they would do if the game sells well.

TheLonelyGamer

TheLonelyGamer said:

Bonanza Bros. and Opa Opa in All Stars Racing=Awesomesauce.
I loved Bonanza Bros. on Genesis, great game! Bonanza Bros. will be one of my main racers when I get the game (also Banjo-Kazooie, Opa Opa, and Alex Kidd will be my main racers too). But of course, Banjo-Kazooie will be my most favorite racer in the game. :P

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

From what I've read from the developers, people who want Ristar have a pretty good chance if they buy the game on PS3 or Xbox 360! That is, as ballkirby1 said, if it sells well enough. So everybody band together for the good of us all!

And no, the DLC won't be on Wii as well. Sorry about that, guys.

KittyCat55

KittyCat55 said:

:P Somehow i think this will go great with my new wii
i love its animated it looks great everysingle character looks awsome.

MAddogz

MAddogz said:

hmmm release date says Feb. 26th, but I saw it on shelves at eb games yesterday...

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

The Outrun reference has maybe sold me this... The original is my favourite game ever.