First Impressions: And Yet It Moves

Posted by James Newton

We take this gravity puzzler for a spin

And Yet It Moves is heading to WiiWare, fresh from its critically-acclaimed PC appearance, so we were naturally curious how it would stack up on the Wii.

If you've not played the PC demo yet, here's a brief summary to get you up to speed. And Yet It Moves is a side-scrolling platform game that puts you in control of a Fido Dido-like chap who, handily, possesses the ability to rotate the world in which he lives, affecting the gravity. Can't get up a steep slope? Flip the world and it becomes a floor. Need to smash a wall? Drop a rock on it.

It's an engaging concept and one that naturally lends itself to mind-bending puzzles and extremely crafty level design, but the Wii Remote control takes some getting used to. Tilting the Remote brings up an onscreen dial showing you the tipping point, so there's almost no chance of turning the world accidentally, and there's something undeniably pleasing about flipping the world with just a Remote. As the game gets progressively more difficult, however, it becomes tough to pull off the kind of quick rotations needed, but thankfully Broken Rules has provided three alternate control schemes: two with Nunchuk and one Classic Controller mode, all of which act quicker than standard Remote.

The game is a very faithful port of the PC original, with the torn paper aesthetic transferring well. In fact, we were hard pressed to tell any differences between the two visually, with few of the fuzzy edges that can plague WiiWare titles. Some enemies and objects can appear indistinct from time to time: it took us a good few minutes to realise one enemy is a hamster with horns glued on. Torn paper outlines around key objects mean you'll rarely be ambushed, however.

Our brief time with the game was enough to convince us that Broken Rules is capable of transferring the PC original's innovative look and gameplay to WiiWare. It's worth saying at this point that the screenshots around this article are from the PC original as we haven't yet received shots of the WiiWare conversion, although the two are very similar graphically.

Although we have reservations about the Remote control scheme, the alternative methods on offer are far smoother, and should help to make this a platform puzzler that's as fun as it is frustrating.

JayArr

JayArr said:

I've been waiting for this game for quite awhile. Classic Controller option is a nice touch, thank you!

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

eagerly anticipating this one. looks like by the end of the year, WiiWare should be the go-to platform for sidescrollers.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

The PC version recieved mixed reviews apparantly so I'll need an NL revw to decide whether to get this. Sounds my kinda thang from the impressions

nasachi

nasachi said:

i'm really looking forward to this :)

love my Wii for these extraordinary games i don't get on my HD-consoles

Machu

Machu said:

I played the demo on PC and just couldn't like it, as much as I tried. I kept getting myself squished! :(

Vendetta

Vendetta said:

Some people actually dig on that, 'Chu. ;)

I bet the Wii controls will be greater than the PC controls (which I haven't tried, by the way).

pixelman

pixelman said:

Looks interesting, but I don't like the art style and the gameplay certainly isn't wow'ing me.

Machu

Machu said:

@V: Yeah I never have much patience with demo's, very throw away. I imagine I will enjoy it more using the nunchuk n mote, plus I can sit on the sofa. ;)

The concept does intrigue me, I look forward to a review.

KrazyKain

KrazyKain said:

Played this on PC a long time ago when it was just a technology demo.. I freaking loved it.. day one download :)

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

Just FYI, this game is on major sale until Friday (19 Feb, 2010) for PC and Mac at http://www.theindiebundle.com/ (the store was set up by the original developers). For $20 you can get And Yet It Moves, Auditorium, Aztaka, Eufloria, Machinarium and Osmos (usual total is $85).

vherub

vherub said:

I played through the pc version, and enjoyed it. Too bad wiimote seems slow for turning and will have to probably use a control instead.

CoffeeWithGames

CoffeeWithGames said:

These type of games give me hope for the game industry. Seeing old concepts(2d platformer), with new twists(turning the world), I think shows the developers are putting a lot of time/effort in the level design and game-play.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

hoping for a timely release on wiiware. The service needs a great game like this, and i refuse to buy this on PC because - lets be honest here - it's a platformer and platformers need control pads. Unless it's an RTS or MMO, it controls better on a control pad.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Sorry, but I don't want to think that much while playing a platformer. I only like strategy like that in genres where I can take my time without worrying about something killing me or otherwise making me lose like turn-based strategy, turn-based RPGs, board and card games, and stops in play in sports games. For the same reason, I don't like real-time strategy games or fighting games with really complicated movesets. Trivia games and brain training games are exceptions, as you only have to come up with a specific right answer instead of coming up with a strategy that has no specific right or wrong answer and whose successfullness varies based on what human or CPU opponents/obstacles do.

b_willers

b_willers said:

Only just got around to playing Braid, best game for a long time! Am very interested in this game also.