Cave Story Coming March 22nd

Posted by Corbie Dillard

The long-awaited WiiWare release is finally dated!

Cave Story fans can now breath a sigh of relief as Nicalis has just announced that Cave Story will be released in North America on March 22nd. It seems the wait is finally over.

You can check out the official press release below for more information and we'll have some new screenshots up soon.

Nicalis, Inc. is excited to announce the upcoming release of the indie superhit, Cave Story for WiiWare. Rated E10+, Cave Story will be available exclusively for Nintendo's WiiWare service on Monday, March 22nd in North America. The highly anticipated action-adventure game is the combined effort of Nicalis, Inc. and Studio Pixel to produce an official Wii version of Cave Story (known as Doukutsu Monogatari in Japan).

Cave Story for Wii features enhanced artwork, the official translation, a remastered soundtrack and many other touches that will surprise new and existing fans alike. With artwork completely drawn by hand, Cave Story for Wii has a fresh new and unique look. Players can opt to play with the classic artwork and music as well mix-and-match new and classic audio-visuals.

Along with the higher-definition graphics and music, Cave Story for Wii includes five new play modes. Previously announced as Add-On/Download Content, Nicalis, Inc. has integrated these modes as part of the full game, so there's need for additional downloads or purchases.

New players are welcomed to try Easy Mode while Cave Story veterans can tackle Hard Mode--if they can handle it. Players can also challenge every boss in Boss Rush Mode or try their skill at Sanctuary Time Attack!

Cave Story Wii Features:

• Standard definition and Wii-exclusive progressive (480p) graphics
  • New character designs by creator, Daisuke Amaya
  • Completely redrawn background and interface, exclusive to Wii
  • Remastered music as well as the original soundtrack
  • Mix-and-match new/old artwork and music!
  • Five new play modes (including Sanctuary Time Attack and Boss Rush)
  • Three-save files, as demanded by fans
  • Over 20 epic boss battles through Mimiga Island
  • 15 levels to explore in the vast world
  • 10 unique weapons to find and upgrade
  • Classic Controller compatibility
  • Three unique endings
  • A few surprises fans

Cave Story on Wii is possible thanks to the tremendous support and loyalty from its fans. "It's like a dream come true and so wonderful to have people play Cave Story on the Wii. I feel very rewarded and am grateful for the support of all the players," said Daisuke Amaya. Less than a month to go!

We'll keep you posted on any new developments with the game and we'll have a full review when the game hits the WiiWare service in March.

Objection

Objection said:

One of the most important tidbits, the price, has yet to be announced. tarter sauce...

Adam

Adam said:

All DLC integrated into the full game. That gets my approval. Hooray for release dates.

DK_vs_KK

DK_vs_KK said:

It seems like it was ages ago that they announced that Cave Story was coming to Wiiware. Better late than never, I guess. :P

Shugo

Shugo said:

Awesome! Seeing as how it's likely Capcom will move Ace Attorney 3's US date up to March, March will be a great month for WiiWare. This year alone has seen my first three WiiWare purchases ever (Muscle March, Ace Attorney 1, Ace Attorney 2), so let's keep 'em comin', shall we? :D

EDIT: You know, I just realized that all the WiiWare games I own/want are all ports. :|

odd69

odd69 said:

Looking at the screenshots the enemies and backgrounds really do look way more detailed.Color me impressed. This is a day one buy for me, if i was to guess how much they will be charging for this i'd guess at 15$.Lets hope not.

axelay80

axelay80 said:

Mega Man 10 and Cave Story in a single month? Slap on some decent VC releases (like Rondo of Blood) and I'll be in heaven!

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Just when I was hoping for a break in the release schedule to catch up... yeah, as you put it Axelay, MM10 and this next month? Oh boy...

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

$10 or $15, here, just take my cash, lol. I've been waitin' on this one. Now I just need word of Night Game's release.

Namo

Namo said:

@18:
Took the words outta my mouth, pal! March is going to be my favorite month this year!

Faildude

Faildude said:

"Previously announced as Add-On/Download Content, Nicalis, Inc. has integrated these modes as part of the full game, so there's need for additional downloads or purchases."
a bit of contradiction
I think you forgot to put in a "no"

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

I have to be honest, at first when I heard of this game and saw the screen shots, I was not that impressed...that is until I downloaded the PC game and now I'm hooked!!!

There is just something about how this games feels that draws you in. The style, music, game play and story all work together pefectly. You could tell a lot of care was put into it.

This enhanced WiiWare version is a MUST BUY for me!

SWEET!!! : )

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

Least we finally have a confirmed date instead of being constantly complaining and being disappointed by a no-show.

@Aenaida
You find the best and most appropriate gifs ever dude. Rock on. :P

Omega

Omega said:

I hope it does not have the same frame rate problems like "Max & the Magic Marker" and "The Three Musketeers". The scrolling of the latter two is so jerky that it hurts my eyes.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Hooray! First Mega Man 10 in less than a week and now release dates for Cave Story, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M!

Freaking. Awesome.