Blaster Master: Overdrive Coming to WiiWare on Monday

Posted by Corbie Dillard

A blast from the past is back!

Sunsoft has just announced that their brand new WiiWare title Blaster Master Overdrive will be hitting the North American WiiWare service this coming Monday for 1000 Wii Points.

You can check out the snippet of information from Sunsoft's official web site, along with 6 new screenshots of the game in action.

BLASTER MASTER™ OVERDRIVE is an action-shooting game that takes place on an Earth infected by an aggressive, polymorphic virus. Poor, defenseless animals worldwide infected by the virus have been turned into flesh-eating, hemoglobin-swilling terrors. Fortunately, the world has Alex. And, even more coincidentally, he happens to be one of the world’s foremost biologists - specializing in viral mutation profiles and genetic manipulation.

Every studious biologist facing imminent global annihilation needs a sweet ride, and Alex is no exception. He has S.O.P.H.I.A., a shape-shifting, gas-guzzling, projectile-spewing paean to destruction on four wheels. Things look grim, but with Alex and S.O.P.H.I.A. on the case, the world just may have a chance.

Gameplay in BLASTER MASTER™ OVERDRIVE retains the critically acclaimed format of the original NES BLASTER MASTER™, alternating between side-scrolling platforming in S.O.P.H.I.A. and overhead-perspective blasting and exploration when controlling Alex. Upgrades for S.O.P.H.I.A. must be collected to access progressively more challenging terrain and a total of eight distinct areas. Each area features a mutant boss that must be defeated to progress.

The sublime blend of side-scrolling shooting/platforming mixed with overhead perspective action/shooting areas is just as addictive now as it was in the original game. Do you still have what it takes to come out on top?

We'll have more information on Blaster Master Overdrive as it becomes available, as well as a full review of the game shortly after its release.

Update: Check out the official trailer:

Kevin

Kevin said:

OMG! As long as it plays like the NES classic and none of its sequals this will be an awesome game!

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

hmmmm... i was about to get the NES game on my next points card... but if this is good, i may just get this one instead.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

We had a hint this was in the works, but didn't think it was near ready for a release. Sunsoft is a tricky bunch. :)

Crazygamerfreak

Crazygamerfreak said:

I just bought a points card half an hour ago. Now I know what to spend it on. (After the review of course, get it done quickly :P)

mattnd2007

mattnd2007 said:

i am potentially excited about this one. i hope it is good. i eagerly await its review.

Porky

Porky said:

I was misled of Blaster Master being so great. After purchase, I played it and didn't like it. Definitely waiting for the review and gameplay footage.

ReZon

ReZon said:

Completely out of no where!

I'm still very enamored with Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, but I'll probably download this anyway to show my support (and then stick it on the backburner). Looks great!

Between this, Phoenix Wright Justice for All on the Feb 15, and Rondo of Blood looming somewhere on the horizon, I'm going to be broke!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Is it a remake or a sequel? Either way, it's certainl cought my interest. I'll pick it up some time after I've beaten the original Blaster Master.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

wow. Few things I expected less than this. Maybe next week that new Kid Icarus iteration will magically show up in stores?

As usual, Hudson is wrecking shop on WiiWare. Keep it up guys (and remake NES batman :) )

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

Neat! How can they be putting the game out so soon without having announced anything about it beforehand? That's shocking - but cool if you're hearing about it now! Can't wait for Monday! A new version of Blaster Master is a perfect fit for downloadable networks; and even though the NES version of Blaster Master is great, this looks like a better download by far. Gonna be downloading this for sure!

If we're lucky, Sunsoft will make some wiiware versions of some of their other games. A Wiiware Ufouria, Gimmick, or NES Batman (just replace Bats with a ninja sprite or something) would be killer!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I still can't believe that this is actually coming out. So far 2010 is turning out to be a really good year for gaming.:)

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

SWEET! I will be getting this on Monday. Now this is how to bring on a game. Nothing, nothing, BAM, THERE IT IS! :)

I would have thought that the 16 bit Sega Genesis version would have come out first.

Sunsoft, what else are you going to unleash on us, hmmmm.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

How great is it to see Sunsoft back and bringing games out on a Nintendo console again. Good times! :)

Objection

Objection said:

Instantly interested. Will wait for the review, but this could be the next thing I download.

Donatello

Donatello said:

Blaster Master for the Nes is seriously a 'love to hate' type game...mainly because of the insanely tough bosses(the second half of them) the music while good at times becomes almost ear grating and annoying. What i love about it though is the bogus rad story that could of only been done on the Nes and that intro with the frog of course ;p

Back in the Nes days i never got too far in it. I baught it a while ago, made it to the final boss but i cant beat his final form. I've called it quits with this one;p i'm not replaying all of those stages for the zillionth time...Anyways, i wouldn't call Blaster Master a classic at all, it's a solid game, but a classic? no way. Dont get me wrong, the transitions from SOPHIA to the overhead view was awesome back in the day. but it doesn't perfect either of them, they're just good...actually i'm not crazy on the overhead stuff, unless you're fighting against the boss. And yes i had to cheat against the 7th Lobster Boss. he was too unpredictable and insanely tough ;p And hear i thaught the Crab was hard.

But that aside, i'm still very excited for BM Overdrive. but what scares me is that it was just announced today, and it's hitting in 2 more days! what does that tell you?...Right now, all of my love is for MM10 hehe, but BM Overdrive is such an awesome little suprise!

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

My, my, what a pleasent surprise. I'm looking forward to it!

Unfortunately, I used the points card I bought earlier today on my DSi in preperation for Shantae's release. Oh, how I wish we were able to transfer points between the two platforms. ;_;

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Wow. Haven't seen news this exciting jump out of nowhere since Mega Man 10 info dropped. And to think this new Blaster Master experience is only a day and a half away! Absolutely cannot wait to get my hands on this. Looks like a great return to the traditional NES structure of BM gameplay that Sunsoft should have been doing since the second installment. Here's hoping this is one terrific return to form for the series. From those screenshots, it looks like it has all the potential to be outstanding.

vakama94

vakama94 said:

this is really a surprise for me, but seeing that the original blaster master was so good, i might give this a try, also, the subtitle is really cool, i mean, overdrive is such a nice word

BlueBandanaJake

BlueBandanaJake said:

@P. D4NG3R If anything, it's better than Cave Story, in that we're getting it 2 days after hearing about it.

Honestly, this is a great surprise, even more so knowing the wait will be very very short!

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

@ intiruna & D4NG3R,

Have you guys down loaded the orginal Cave Story on PC? You know it is for free. With all this talk about Cave Story and release dates being pushed back on WiiWare I decided to download the orginal. I hate using the keyboard for platformers but there is gamepad support and my Gravis Gamepad Pro works PERFECTLY!

The game ROCKS! This will more than tide me over until the WiiWare version comes out, plus I think I will be able to appreciate the upgrades made for the WiiWare game after completing the PC game. Not to mention how Blaster Master Overdrive will be dominating my time. :)

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Well this is good news, but I was really hoping their big announcement was going to be a new VC game...

fxtek76

fxtek76 said:

one of my all time favorite NES games. I loved Sunsoft back in the day and will definitely have this on Monday. Now where is Festers Quest Overdrive.

Donatello

Donatello said:

@ fxtek76
Oh man, don't get me on Festers Quest ;p I actually have it for the Nes...And all can say is that it's slow, very frusturating and tough as nails...once you die, you start all the way back to the beginning of the game. it's ridiculous....and the enemies are totaly cheap, once you're stuck in a corner you're basically screwed since your gun shoots on a curve.lol

imapterodactyl

imapterodactyl said:

What happened to Alex's huge head? Head reduction surgery? It looks good, but they should've kept Alex superdeformed.

Jiisuki

Jiisuki said:

I like how it looks, but the music is butchered. The old NES has a lot more punch than this..

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

Thank you for that trailer. NICE! I like the grown up and detailed look! This is what WiiWare should be all about.

@ imapterodactyl, you always have the NES version. I have to stand by Sunsoft on this one. I also like the music. I don't think it is butchered at all.

Does anyone know the size of this game? With quality title's like this and Konami's Rebirth series, it looks like I might be on my way to filling up my 2 gig SD card this year.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

@Make - less than 43 megs, so I doubt it'll damage your 2 gigs too hard :) I'd wager ~300 blocks, using the rebirth titles as a guide.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

One problem: The sidescroller parts (when not in SOPHIA) look painfully slow.

Donatello

Donatello said:

@Shadx
The Sidescroller parts with Alex were slow in the original as well...I wasn't bothered by it all.
But i totaly miss the 'kid' Alex from the original. Fred the Frog better maker a come back!

odd69

odd69 said:

I wanted to add this, When i was a kid i played the original alot and could never get really far. So I can't wait to try it out again with this game, as my skill has gotten alot better since . This is most definitely a day one purchase and I'm thrilled that all these classics are being remade or imagined. I will support this movement and hope to see more like it. Next time i hope they warn us before they release any type of wiiware games, So we can atleast know how much wii points to save up.

primeris

primeris said:

:D Hope it's every bit as hard as the original.
The drill and grapple look fun, the overhead areas look greatly improved, pretty exited about this one!

Ren

Ren said:

wow, no way. This looks amazing. I'm way over excited for this. I think I might spend some money I dont have to get it.