MadWorld Director Interested In Stab At Sequel

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Thinks mature-rated game was very well received

With all the whining and bellyaching over mature-rated games on Wii lately, it's interesting to hear about a studio so unfazed, even keen on the prospect of doing more in the area. And that studio is Platinum Games.

Their first-ever release, the hyper-violent monochrome brawler MadWorld, may have been a modest seller, but director Shigenori Nishikawa told Official Nintendo Magazine UK in an upcoming issue that Platinum wouldn't mind another go.

I think MadWorld was very well received and was acknowledged for its innovative graphical style and gameplay. We would definitely be interested in making a sequel in the future.

We liked it so much that we slapped a well-deserved 9 on it, so a sequel would be just fine by us.

What would you like to see in a part deux? Would you even want one?

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

VGM

VGM said:

I hope they make a sequel, Madworld was very fun.:)
What would I like to see in a sequel? Idk, TBH.
Longer single player story.

Machu

Machu said:

I'd like to see Jack find a portal which transports him into a world full of colour (I wasn't a fan of the 'artistic' style). I'd also like the game to not become so brain numbingly dull after 3 levels (pole, man, bin, wall, repeat, yawn).

KevNash

KevNash said:

i liked the game alot, but yeh it does get formulaic, it didn't provide as many options for killing people as it was hyped up to be and even the bloodbath challanges repeated. I'd like to see a bigger single player, but more variety.

Or perhaps a new title mature title, not sequal would be better

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I enjoyed the first game a lot myself. With the critical praise and even Game of the Year nominations, I think a sequel will sell very well if done right.

Objection

Objection said:

I liked what the game did, but I'd rather they make another unique (mature, if necessary) game rather than a true sequel. I definately look forward to whatevr project Platinum does eventually announce.

Crunc

Crunc said:

The game was fun for a few hours, but I don't think I ever need to play it again, let alone a sequel.

AVahne

AVahne said:

i do hope they make a sequel, i'm interested in what Jack does next

vherub

vherub said:

I think the parody aspect can be taken much, much further. The dialogue and commentary was rather intelligent.
I'd like to see a MadWiiSportsWorld type mashup (with motionplus).
Something that takes a lot of the great pickup gameplay of the resort package, but to an obscene level.
Frisbee golf, bowling, archery, or even some of the wiifit activities, it would be a blast to play in an over the top, bloodfest manner that really goes wild with the source materials.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Go Platinum games! I can't name one other game other than Mad World that is M rated, Wii exclusive and NOT a rail-shooter. Have a stab at it, somebody. YOU WILL NOT PREVAIL.

CH405K1N6

CH405K1N6 said:

This will be so awesome. :) But this one could use some improvements from the first...

*Make it longer, give it some replay value.
*Give it a little more variety.
*Don't let any of those annoying enemies say, "I'm gonna get you motherf*cker!" repeatedly. Which expands on the variety bit.
*Incorporate new worlds with different graphical styles.
*Incorporate better BGM.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

i recommend they keep the BGM the same/similarly styled...I thought it fit perfectly.

CH405K1N6

CH405K1N6 said:

Personally I found most of the BGM unbearable. Not because it didn't fit, but because I just didn't like it. >_< Not as bad as the awful music in Knuckles's SA2 stages, but still.

But what are you gonna do.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

I quite liked the songs in MW. Anyways, all I want to see is more of the same.

Kidpit

Kidpit said:

Sounds good...just please, no more Death Blade. I had to put the game up for a month after dieing repeatedly at the hands of that cheap one-hit kill dealing S.O.B. in stage 3-1 (the castle courtyard) less I kill someone in reasl life.

Amorous_Badger

Amorous_Badger said:

I reckon if you gave it a bit of story and some puzzles this could be right up there with God Of War in the 'violent third-person adventure' stakes, as it is, the first game seems like a bit of a missed opportunity

JakobG

JakobG said:

It was nominated as the best Wii-game this year and in IGN's Top 25, so I suppose it was good. I never played it though, but I'm for more mature games. Toddlers admire terrible games, thats why the Wii has plenty of them.

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

I liked this game a lot better than God of War. God of War was just boring to me. This one was so overtly over-the-top vulgar and violent that it was hilarious and engaging to the end. I welcome a sequel, though the ending was pretty final

Kirk

Kirk said:

Fix the camera drastically, fix the targeting system, make it a little bit less "Constantly-In-Your-Face-MTV-Style-With-No-Time-To-Just-Pause-For-A-Second-And-Actually-Appreciate-The-Game", and make it less like one mini-game after another disguised as something more and I might be interested.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Well this is a breath of fresh air after all the Mature Game whining. I would love another MadWorld. Well done Platinum Games.

Boonehams

Boonehams said:

Seconds? Yes, please.
As for what I'd like to see in a sequel, I think Kirk hit the nail on the head for the most part. And the music would've been better without the lyrics. With the commentators, the characters yelling and the sound effects going on, it's just too much.

RichieTheSignPainter

RichieTheSignPainter said:

Love this game but I would love to see a constant forward progression rather than set levels... Just open the game up a lot more and loose the game show stuff. I'm not too keen on it. Maybe put those as side stages like score attacks in old tonyhawk games.

Acidfoxdyi831

Acidfoxdyi831 said:

Madworld was great. even tho it got repetitive rather fast ,that can be hanged by giving more options of killing people with just your body instead of having to be near a certain place or it. music should stay the same it gave a rather tougher feel to the game.

madworld is one of my favorite wii games
sequel much wanted from me!

JohnshiBRPG

JohnshiBRPG said:

If there were a sequel, there should be at least 40-50 different moves and all lengthy levels should provide multiple solutions rather than repeating the same steps.

Sintra4

Sintra4 said:

So...they're going to make a sequel to a hideously overrated 3D beat-'em up that's only fun for the first few days that you own/rent it and sold exactly 2 copies (exaggeration)? Good luck guys, you're gonna need it!