Nintendo Download: Alex Kidd, Rubik, Pallurikio, Monkey Island, Hell's Kitchen and PictureBook Games (EU)

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Exactly as promised.

The observant ones probably already noticed, but in a change of pace, Nintendo of Europe already updated their website with all of this week's releases over the past few days. The games in question make up the entire update, as there's no surprises this time.

Alex Kidd in Shinobi World on the Master System was the last Alex Kidd game ever made. As you can guess, it's an attempt by Sega to fuse Alex Kidd with Shinobi, and it does so by giving Alex a sword and sending him through eight stages, loosely based on those found in Sega's ninja classic. It's ever so slightly more enjoyable than the previous few games in the series, but overall it's just another reason why Sega's original mascot isn't really badly missed. We'll review it soon.

Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: RUSH is probably the biggest title this week, as it's from the minds behind Toki Tori! The first in a series, it's only very loosely based on the actual Rubik's cubes, as the objective is to strategically use arrows, conveyor belts, teleports and other objects in order to get the automatically moving cubes from one place to another, while simultaneously avoiding dangers. At 600 points, it also seems quite decently priced. We'll have a review soon.

Pallurikio is a pretty simple platformer - As a ball called Pallurikio, you must maneuver through various stages by moving around your Wii remote's pointer. Simply press a button and the ball will hop in the direction you're pointing at. With the developers promising over 50 levels, 1000 Wii Points seems like quite a fair price, and we think any platformer fan should be pleased.

Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 4 - The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood (Hello, longest WiiWare game title!) is the penultimate part in the new Monkey Island story. Featuring the return of yet another classic character, Stan the salesman, it delivers the humour in spades once again, and we thought it stands alongside chapter 3 as the best chapter yet. It costs 1000 Wii Points, as usual.

DSiWare's releases this week are a bit less interesting, likely because of the fact The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks is out today as well! Hell's Kitchen VS. seems to be a cut down version of the retail DS game also based on the TV show, featuring nothing more than a 2-player head to head mode. We can't imagine many people who will be willing to spend 800 DSi Points in order to have Gordon Ramsay insulting them! We'll review the game soon.

Today's other release is PictureBook Games: The Royal Bluff, which really seems to be a followup to the WiiWare game in name only. Based around a rather unique yet highly strategic game played with poker chips, it's actually quite fun and should appeal to anybody who likes to think. It costs 500 Wii Points.

Quite a few choices this week, will you be getting anything or will you stick with Zelda?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I never scold. I just ban. I might warn you, but I don't scold. That's so 1995. :)

Jolted85

Jolted85 said:

be ready guys alex kidd got rated by the esrb a few days ago so its bound to show up on our side soon

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Boo, very disappointing yet again. As a Dutchman I really hope Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: RUSH will be good, but I need a review for it. Same goes for Pallurikio BTW.

Like Hell's Kitchen VS. though, too bad I don't have a DSi.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Yay for Alex Kidd, I always wanted to play this game and I like it already, even in 50Hz!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

i feel stupid saying i'm interested in the Hell's Kitchen game, but i really love the TV show, lol. i kinda hope we get it this Monday. :3

TJ_Spyke

TJ_Spyke said:

The Monkey Island game isn't the longest title for WiiWare. That honor belongs to "Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People - Episode 4: Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective"

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

dull week this time round.
i hope we get to see super mario kart before the years out.

Porky

Porky said:

That Rubike game looks good Europe Id get it when its released Monday.

timp29

timp29 said:

Fail NoE.

I hope they have an ultimate week. They must have some good releases saved up. But seriously, shouldn't they be flooding the service with fantastic offerings to encourage people to ask 'santa' for nintendo points cards??

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

I heard that Super Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, and Starwing are next weeks VC releases, New Super Mario All Stars and Metroid Dread are the DSiWare releases, and The Legend of Zelda: Eight Sword's (With online multiplayer) on WiiWare are next weeks releases.

Then I realised that I'd heard it from the voice inside my head.

Darn.

JTC-Pingas

JTC-Pingas said:

I've noticed that the Nintendo updates for North America get more comments than Europe's updates.

y2josh

y2josh said:

@20: Almost like it's an American based site, even though its not. lol Looks like there are more American commenters as well. Could also mean we have big mouths though :D

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Hell's Kitchen is an awful tv program (Kitchen Nightmares on the other hand is more amusing, if formulaic); the game could only be better.

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Alex Kidd in shinobi world is ok. I would get it but..... (dont wanna repeat myself)

Mike1

Mike1 said:

22. Sean Aaron
Hell no! Hells Kitchen is way better than Kitchen Nightmares.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

@29. Gavin Rozee
SSB is way better than SMK in my opinion at least.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Agreed, Hell's Kitchen is a crap tv show. "The Restaurant" is much better. Check that out on BBC iPlayer ;-)

As for this update, not bad but not good either. Still 2 radar games and one insta-download wiiware games isn't that bad I guess.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Nothing for me this week, I'm waiting for Super Mario Kart...
Christmas Day release?

Nero

Nero said:

Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: RUSH is very neat. I'm enjoying the puzzle bits and it's a great feeling when you suddenly find the solution to a hard puzzle.
Though I suck so much at solving Rubik's Cubes that I can't even solve a 3x3 one with the included tutorial. :(

Jack-A-Roe

Jack-A-Roe said:

When are we gonna get anything more than a scant handful of games worth downloading on the DSi ware service? Ironically, by far the best thing on it - Flipnotes - is free. It is slightly depressing to see overpriced lazy cut-down versions of games that were quite frankly crap in the first place released week after week. Sort it out Nintendo!!