Just What Is The Nintendo Zii?

Posted by Sean Aaron

A new trademark registered in Japan is fuelling speculation on the internet

Silicon Era has reported that a new trademark registration has appeared in the Japanese trademark database for the word "Zii."

Nintendo submitted the application on the 30th of October, though there's no indication of what it's for. It could be trying to block the sale of any more Wii wannabes trying to cash using similar names, or it could be a new piece of hardware - possibly even the successor to the white wonder?

Until Nintendo actually confirms what it is, expect rumours to circulate all over the place.

[via siliconera.com]

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

meh, im sure someone official will mention something, in the meantime speculation is just wasted time.

Nintendo-64

Nintendo-64 said:

I think that is the name for the new Nintendo console.
I mean Wii=we Zii=see.

Maybe we see it at the next E3. The new Zelda launchtitel again? Like Twilight princes release on Wii and Zii?

Stargazer

Stargazer said:

This is for Nintendo's new sleep monitor. You play games by breathing heavily and snoring. Sorta like the Vitality Sensor, only not.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

Maybe it's the actial DS successor not just this DSi junk.
If it is the DS successor it's be super cool.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

"See all the action next time on Super Nintendo Zii!"

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. That really made my morning. :D

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

And I thought Wii was a dumb name! (I don't think that anymore, but Zii just sounds weird!)

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

"Wii" had many reasons behind its naming... Zii makes no sense. it's just Ninty trying to cover their bases. just like the saddle patent, they want to make sure people don't even come near something anything like what they have without paying them money.

Aviator

Aviator said:

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

It's probably for something for one of their stupid peripherals (Horseback riding and a football? Seriously?) or to stop people from making knock-off video game "consoles".

edofthe209

edofthe209 said:

I can see them not wanting anyone else making a Vii type device. i reember seeing those at Macy's 2 years back. Looked like serious crap.

RonF

RonF said:

It is quite common to trademark names similar to your products to protect yourself from imitators. This trademark means nothing.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

"It's obviously Nintendo ON.;)"

I came here to say exactly those words. I don't believe that anyone would do that, because of the eye strain and high price tag, but that would be ultimate gaming(well, Local multiplayer, like Mario Party might become a little hazardous, but still)!!! 3D-screens are nothing, compared to being able to look where you like. I would gladly become blind, if I could play Metroid that way.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@aviator:
"I'm sorry, but to all the people trying to pull off Zii as See. Were not living in Sesame Street. Its Zed, not Zee."

What does the nomenclature of Zed/Zee have to do with anything? "See" is a verb.

blank_user_1

blank_user_1 said:

私は2ヶ月後には、Wiiの代わりとなるZii賭ける賭け方。

@ReZon: that is enlightening. Everybody see that post. Tch, everybody goes crazy off of these rumors from places like "Siliconera"....

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Nooooo..! What about WII, W2? All my speculations were in vain! :( Oh well, maybe this is Wii HD and not the next gen console. That will be W2. :D

rustythekid

rustythekid said:

there's a new creative mp3 player called Zii Egg, Nintendo will never release something in North America with Zii in it.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Well, my best guess for this is because of the various Wii knockoffs (like the Vii).

Otherwise, the Vitality Sensor assumption makes a bit of sense.

As for a successor... No way.
But man, what are they trademarking these days? First the Last Story, then the horse riding peripheral idea and the bike, now these crazy names!

What's up with that? (Hurricane style!)

Vendetta

Vendetta said:

If "Zii" was supposed to be like "see," then ummm, why not just register "Cii" instead? I doubt they're all suddenly speaking with German accents over at Nintendo.

Shmavey

Shmavey said:

I don't think this is the next console, because they still have a lot of games coming out for wii like zelda 2 galaxy 2 metroid other m. so I don't think thier done with the wii.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

Update: We've done a bit more digging, and it looks as if this here filing may simply be a renewal of a 2006 trademark request. Moreover, we've found Nintendo trademarks in Japan for Cii, Bii, Oii and Yii, so it seems the company may just be on some sort of rampage in order to cover its tracks in one form or another.

now it more seems like a series of games over a console

Percentful

Percentful said:

After the Vii, I'm guessing that this is just to try to stop knock-offs. Besides, it seems kinda cheesy to give the next console a knock-off name. Wii was creative, but doing something like Cii wouldn't be impressive.

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

I have 2 guesses. Zelda ... To appeal to a new audience, if you just call it Z and put two ii's after it, then maybe a nongamer might be attracted to getting this game. OR, what if in the new Zelda game, you can play with Link saving Zelda or, you can play with your Mii and save Zii a princess that you create. Any thoughts?

JimJam707

JimJam707 said:

• New Super Mario Bros. Zii. LOL
  • Zii Sports
  • Zii Sports Resort
  • ZiiWare
  • Mario Kart Zii
Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Egg Miester: I think you've got it wrong there mate. Clearly Nintendo has a 100-year console roadmap and these are all the future successors to the Wii!

M00se

M00se said:

why would they release a new console. the other two competitors havent even had anything about it! probably just the wii HD!

Ch3p3

Ch3p3 said:

Zii=new console who knows? only the time will tell us.... 4 the moment ill still playing Reflex, so i don't care about it

Noire

Noire said:

Hey Vegeta, what's the scouter say about Nintendo's trademarking level?

IT'S OVER NINE-THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!

it doesn't make a bit of difference guys...the trademarks are inert

How was that? :P

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Maybe they'll introduce a handheld with Creative's Zii StemCell processor. And call it GameBoy Zii? :p

Bensei

Bensei said:

Ddidn't Nintendo patent Aii, Bii, Cii, Dii... already in 2006? Read that on several independent gaming sites. Okay, there's the Vii, but as we know China hardly cares about plagiarism

JimLad

JimLad said:

Zii is the name I wish they had given to Wii.
Sure it's corny, but then all console names have been: Super Nintendo, Mega Drive, Jaguar, Turbografx, Dreamcast. That's what made them fun and awesome, but now it's just abbreviations of letters and numbers.
and Wii = Wee = Urine to me, they could not have picked worse if they had asked a parrot.