Cave Story Development Update

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Nicalis release some new information on the game.

The guys at Nicalis have just posted a new post on their official blog that gives a bunch of new details about their upcoming WiiWare title Cave Story.

As many of you know, the game will now slip into 2010, but the game is now completed and ready to go when Nintendo decides to release it on the WiiWare service. We'll just have to be patient for the time being. Until then you can take a look at the blog update from Nicalis' blog and enjoy the tidbits of new information.

It’s almost Christmas and the end of the year!

We’ve been utterly quiet because updating a blog takes more time away than I’d like from actually making games–what we’re supposed to be doing. We’ll have some updates post-release with Amaya-san discussing the game. For now I want to bring everyone up to speed on the finished product:

• Three save files
  • New graphics/music
  • Classic Controller support (play this way)
  • Original graphics/music
  • 60 frames per second vs the PC version’s 50
  • Three game modes (easy, normal and hard)

In Easy Mode, Mister Traveler sustains half damage when hit. It’s still a pretty decent challenge. Also, he’ll be in ひよっこ/yellow Mister Traveler attire for Easy–you can probably spot him in the background.

Normal is normal–the same game you’ve come to know and love.

Hard Mode is for all the hardcore fans. You have to make it through most of the game with 3HP and no missiles; Mister Traveler looks very unique in this mode with blonde hair and a blue outfit (he’s on the left side). We were happy to include Hard Mode for release since we originally planned it as…

• DLC, we have a lot planned for this AND we’re taking possible requests
  • Translated script with the blessing and support of Amaya-san
  • A few changes that we don’t want to spoil, but true fans will notice

I know that some of you might be disappointed that you didn’t get Cave Story in time for Christmas, but it’ll be worth the wait.

For now Dustin Kulwicki, you may know him as k-wik, has done up three AMAZING Christmas-themed Cave Story songs. If his name sounds at all familiar it’s with good reason. He was responsible for the equally amazing Cave Story Remix Project.

These all-new songs may not be the actual game, but think of them as a gift to all the fans who have supported Amaya-san for five years. Listen to each song via the player below or right-click on the name to “save as”. Enjoy!

Holiday Construction

Chime Vale

Christmas Story (Christmas Day present)

Oh yeah, you don’t get the last one until Christmas day. Release date for Cave Story? After the new year. Gotta get back to working on La-Mulana and NightSky

We'll keep you updated on any new information on Cave Story as it becomes available as well as a full review when the game hits the WiiWare service in early 2010.

[via nicalis.com]

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

still haven't played this. holding out for this WiiWare version to see if it's really all that everyone says it is.

@Ezekiel: they won't. once they have Smash Bros. AND Cave Stroy, they'll want Smash Bros, Cave Story, AND something else.

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

That stinks a bit. I mean it's awesome that it's done, but why the heck is NOA holding onto it? It's not like they have other Wiiware heavy hitters coming out right now...

Can't wait for Cave Story!

ReifuTD

ReifuTD said:

You know a really good thing they said they will take requests for DLC that mean we might get DLC comming out for months or years?

Swiket

Swiket said:

"...but the game is now completed and ready to go when Nintendo decides to release it on the WiiWare service."

Source? I don't remember this.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

@ Swiket - Source = That came from my talk with Tyrone Rodriguez of Nicalis earlier tonight. :)

said:

oh well...as long as it delivers I can wait a little more..as long as is not another year <_<

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I'm just glad that we finally have some solid information on the current status of this game. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

RichardNixon

RichardNixon said:

Damn, i was hoping it would get released this year. I got my hopes up when I saw it in Nintendo Power as one of the candidates for Wiiware game of the year. Oh well.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Hallelujah! They're still working on the game! At this point I swore they were gonna cancel it.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I hear Konami's pretty mad that Castlevania Rebirth hasn't released here, too. Freaking NoA and their pointless release delays.:|

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Good to finally hear from Nicalis on the status of the game after so long a period of silence. It may be fairly overdue, but I want them to take their time on it and make sure everything about the port and its follow-up DLC turn out just perfect and in spirit with how Amaya-san would want the game represented on WiiWare.

I am, however, confused and slightly concerned by the inference regarding Quote's name being changed to Mister Traveler. We've grown up on the game these past few years understanding his name to be Quote; I'll be damned if they're going to change that on us. :-P

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

So, I guess I'm buying a 40 point card so I can buy this and MM10, as well as all of their DLC.
AWESOME.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

They seem to have gotten a lot of inspiration from Mega Man 10, because THEY have an easy mode too!

smithers

smithers said:

DLC..thats aweesome....and it'll pave the way for other companys to do that with games..im content

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

Oh! Corbie this news are a great Xmas present. I really thought Cave Story was going to be cancelled. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you! :)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Jockolantern: Not all of us know anything about the name...I wouldn't have had a clue if you hadn't just said that.:P

Why are people saying they thought it had been cancelled? I never thought that! Just delayed a bunch, that's all. Remember what Miyamoto says: "Release a bad game, it's bad forever. Delay a game, and it can be great." Truer words were never spoken:D

chris3116

chris3116 said:

Come to papa.

I'd like a line-up like that on a random Monday:
Wiiware
Cave Story
La Mulana
Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth
Super Meat Boy

Virtual Console
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
Final Fantasy IV

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

@Jockolantern
Maybe because it's a spoiller?
"Mister Traveler" start the game with amnesia and you only know the truth about him, only if you meet certain conditions (the same to unlock the extra "true" final level.)