Voice of Mario Wanted To Voice Link

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

It's-a me, Leenk! Yippieeeee!

As the voice of Mario, Charles Martinet has been a staple of Nintendo ever since the plumber first showed the industry how 3D gaming is done. But why stop with Mario?

Speaking to That Gaming Site (via GoNintendo), Martinet explained how he tried to move his way into Hyrule.

I spoke to Mr. Miyamoto and said: “I wanna be Link, I wanna be Link”, and Miyamoto told me that Link isn’t going to have a voice; he is going to stay the way he is.

Martinet is a cool guy and all, but we're sort of relieved Miyamoto is sticking to his guns in this case. Probably the last thing a new Zelda game needs is the absolute insanity of the Mushroom Kingdom, as heard in our Podcast interview.

[via gonintendo.com, thatgamingsite.com]

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Charles Martinet is a talented voice actor. I'm sure he could pull off a good Link. But I suppose giving Link a voice would ruin the "silent hero" aspect of him.

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

It would be weird having Link speak so I'm glad they're keeping him silent.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Since when does giving a character a voice mean giving him entire sentenses? Being the voice of a character can also mean just giving them grunts and all that, which Link DOES have.

Still I'm glad they didn't do that either, the current Link voice is classic and really fits him.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

...lz2009-san spoke my ideas (except for the "talented actor" part, since I know nothing about Mario's voice actor).

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

I agree with keeping Link silent, but he does have his grunts and groans and "Come on!"s and such. I guess Martinet could do that...

Of course, in my mind, there is only one voice that would suit Link well, and that's Harvey Fierstein.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN AWESOME. DAMN YOU, MIYAMOTO.

Also; "Bwaaahaha! It's-a Ganondorf. Have a rotten day!" sticks sword through sage

Percentful

Percentful said:

While they're at it, they should have the princess peach voice actor be Gandandorf! lol ;)

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I dunno, I think Link should have a voice as a test run at some point.

...that isn't based on the tv show...

... or the CD-I games...

...or fanfictions...

Percentful

Percentful said:

@ Warios Dude! That phrase is like awesomer than the like live do the mario dance, like ya know? [this is a prime example of sarcasm]

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

I don't really see what the big idea is with having voice acting in every single game. Keep Link silent. I really don't mind reading the text in Adventure games and RPGs... :)

chadthegamer

chadthegamer said:

I agree that Link should be silent. I prefer to imagine what his voice would sound like instead of having someone do it for me.
Also, I can't imagine the voice of Mario being the voice of Link :P

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

This is...weird. 0_o Anyways, I'm glad that Shiggy didn't try to make link have a voice. It would just sound wrong.

soccerplayer282

soccerplayer282 said:

That's a miracle. Link will always be silent, and that's how it's supposed to be. Stick to Mario, you're already good enough at that.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

imagines Link with Mario's voice
...Could be an unlockable after defeating the game. XD

motang

motang said:

Link can stay the way he is, but I would like to have voice acting for everyone else. :D

zemulii

zemulii said:

He's going to stay without a voice. That's the part I like. I hope he means forever. I think I recall some review of Twilight Princess, might have been Gamespot, criticizing the game for it's lack of voice acting. Which apparently is a necessity in this day and age... I couldn't believe it...

It would lose so much of it's quirkiness if they added voices. The weird little noises the characters make when you speak to them are perfectly fine thankyou :).

JohnshiBRPG

JohnshiBRPG said:

Perhaps you might not know that Link is currently voiced by Nobuyuki Hiyama since Orcarina of time, and the voices consists of different reactions including attack grunts and shouting. No dialogue voices used of course.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

It would be nice is there was VO in a Zelda game though. Obviously not Link, but everyone else would be nice.

I know Miyamoto san wants players to feel like they are link and all that crap, but seriously, the rest of the cast in the game don't need to be mute as well.

sugoisabarashi

sugoisabarashi said:

I knew nintendo wouldn't give him a voice
plus reading text is a staple in zelda ..........but not in the CD-i games >:(.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Imagining a guy with Marios voice jumping up at Miyamotos leg and going "I wanna be Link! I wanna be Link!" just makes me laugh.:D

Viper6391

Viper6391 said:

Thank God they didn't let him voice Link! We already have a crappy TV show and three crappy CD-I games where he talks. I don't think the fans would take it too well if they decided to turn silent Link into a talker.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

Link must be mute. First class, super high quality voice acting to everyone else but Link would be awesome ofcourse.

Zak_Canard

Zak_Canard said:

Have to agree that Link must remain a silent protagonist. As a compromise you would have thought Shiggy should let Martinet be the voice of Tingle, or would that be seen as some sort of punishment?

bboy1

bboy1 said:

If they were to ever voice link, they should only use the Japanese voice actor (or any other I guess) who does his grunts and what not to speak in Japanese but retain the speech boxes (in different languages) to act as the subtitles. Japanese is the only way to go if you want it to not sound all cheapened up. Though if this was to be the case, I highly doubt it would ever happen. But I'd prefer Link and all the characters to be left silent as that adds to the game's Japanese charm. The last thing I'd want is Link speaking English in an American accent...that would just sound really cheap (no offense).

bboy1

bboy1 said:

I mean we all know how terrible dubbed anime sounds. It'd be no different.

KingMike

KingMike said:

Could've sworn I remember him going like "AIIIIIII! Yai-yai-yai!" after somehow surviving a two-story fall in OoT (I hate you, Megaton Hammer chest room!) :)

Slionr

Slionr said:

I have never had a problem with no voice-acting in this francise =)
But... I think it would have been nice if they had done something like in Metroid prime 3, where only the main-caracter is silent =).
But yeah, at the same time... im curious on how the voice of Link would be "Hmm".....

Rocketship92

Rocketship92 said:

give link and samus voices and let them debate various issues of game life, now thats the "game" i wanna see

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I prefer Martinet to say phrases in Mario´s games and not only repeat like crazy the character names. "I´m Wario", "Eeee Wa- lui-giiii"

Another thing i think nobody yours know is that Martinet speaks a very fluid spanish. I met him in Electronic Game Show in Mexico City and i get very surprised heared him in spanish. I wish Nintendo let to Martinet to put spanish phrases in a language option in Mario´s games. "Heeey todos. Yo soy Mario"

Ski_Deuce

Ski_Deuce said:

It would certainly be a change for Link to have a voice. Perhaps he has some grievances against Nintendo since he's always being forced to be mute. I feel a "reality" tv series coming on.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Link + Voice makes me think about those 80s TV show about The Legend of Zelda..

EXCUUUSE ME PRINCESS! :p

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

I hated the blabbering Drake in Uncharted 2. It felt stupid and out of control. Not quite the "Excuuuuse me princes" -caliber, but awkward nonetheless.

langsterguy

langsterguy said:

I would never want Link to talk. Some one once asked me "Why wouldn't you like it if he talk?" I tried to explain to him, but he couldn't understand. Besides, when I read what characters say, I can use my own imagination on what there voice is really like and how they said it. Plus! Link doesn't have to talk. Why? Because you are the character. That's why you name your file i.e. (Brian) and characters talking to you call you (Brian).

SMW

SMW said:

Nothing annoys me more than when a character starts blabbing away while I'm trying to play.

The Prince of Persia games do this too much! I'm jumping around and climbing walls and then the Prince gets the idea to start complaining about this or that.