Nintendo Preloading DSi's For Black Friday

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Blue and white handhelds get Mario and Brain bonuses

Nintendo is making the DSi an even more attractive purchase this Friday to coincide with American Shopping Day by bundling in over $20 in downloadable software with certain models.

The metallic blue DSi (a new color) will come loaded with five Mario-themed games and apps, namely Dr. Mario Express, Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again, WarioWare: Snapped! and the plumber's clock and calculator apps. Hey, three out of five ain't bad.

If you'd rather flex your grey matter, the white DSi will include Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters, Sudoku and Math; as well as Clubhouse Games Express: Card Classics and the Photo Clock app, which Nintendo says will let you "experience all the enjoyment of a photo album while ensuring you won’t lose track of the time." We said it's pretty crap but hey, free is free.

Might want to call ahead and see if your preferred retailer is participating and start camping out right after that turkey dinner.

DK_vs_KK

DK_vs_KK said:

Cool! I might have to pick one up at Walmart next Friday. The metallic blue one, preferably. I already have Brain Age 2, Clubhouse Games, and the photo clock just sounds useless, so the metallic blue DSi is a no-brainer for me.

irken004

irken004 said:

I'd love to get the blue one if I didn't already have a black one from the first release day.

Porky

Porky said:

This is a good deal it seems. Awesome but im waititng for Dsi LL.

Percentful

Percentful said:

Man, I wish dark blue and white had come out by my birthday-I'm stuck with baby blue-I like it, but I think the white looks better.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Er, two out of five, Prosody?
EDIT: Terribly sorry Panda, I'm just not very good with the NL staff's real names. :P (I'll catch on.)

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

American shopping day?!

Lol, talk about a corporate drive for extra sales, could they not even be bothered to at least try and disguise it? XD

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I love that metallic blue DSi but it would have been really cool if Nintendo came out with a limited edition red color for the Mario DSi bundle instead.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Wow, those are some nice bundles. Black Friday and Cyber Monday are bound to break some records in video game sales this year.

The metallic blue being announced is more of a backslap to the owners of the (baby) blue DSi as opposed to those who got the black one (like me :))

Oh well, at least some of the DSiWare is worth getting for free. So which bundle has the larger price of preloaded DSiWare? Let's find out:

Metallic Blue bundle:

• Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (800 points)
    (check)
  • Dr. Mario Express (500 points)
    (check)
  • WarioWare: Snapped! (500 points)
    (uhhh...... ?)
  • Mario Clock (200 points)
    (well, at least you're not blowing 2 bucks for this)
  • Mario Calculator (200 points)
    (same rule above applies here)

White DSi bundle:

• Brain Age Express (Arts & Letters, Math and Sudoku) (collectively 2100 points [2 800-pointers, 1 500-point title])
    (check)
  • Clubhouse Games Express: Card Classics (500 points)
    (check, because you aren't paying $5)
  • Photo Clock (200 points)
    (Should've been free from the start!)

So the final prices....

Metallic Blue

• $22 worth of DSiWare
    White
  • $28 worth of DSiWare
Percentful

Percentful said:

@Sylverstone Yeah, and it is kinda annoying. For instance, I was just playing it somewhere and a random guy just walks up to me and says "no offence, but that has to be the ugliest, most dreadful color I've ever seen" and then walks off. Seriously, it's getting annoying, especially since a lot of people seem to think that the Baby Blue DSi was meant for girls. Besides, White just looks really cool. You might not believe this, but my blue dsi shows EVERYTHING that gets on it. dust, crumbs, and everything around me. I got a skin for it, and the junk went under the skin! I am getting really annoyed with the amount of time i spend cleaning this [i know the white might have the same problem, but most of the crumbs I get are white believe it or not]

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

My parents are going out for "Black Friday" in order to get tickets for the Dominican Republic! We may even get to stores at that time!
Eeeeeee!!!
/fantasizes about the games, DVDs books, and NP cards he wants to get/

Toon_Link

Toon_Link said:

Does anyone know where you can get the Metallic Blue one?
Cause my bro wants it for Christmas, and I checked Walmart.com and they didn't have it.

oinkmooblah

oinkmooblah said:

Does anyone know if these will still be sale after Black Friday? I want a Metallic Blue, but I'm unsure of whether I can get to Gamestop at 4-5 AM. :/

langsterguy

langsterguy said:

Wow! Well that's what happens when you buy the DSi on opening day. You miss out on the best stuff on the Holidays.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Stupid question, why's this Friday 'Black Friday'? I thought that was always Friday the 13th?

ReZon

ReZon said:

@chunky - the day after Thanksgiving is Black Friday, in which rabid consumers wake up far too early to get "deals" on their purchases that are only available to the insane. It's the beginning of the "holiday shopping season".