Michael Jackson's Moonwalker Coming to Virtual Console?

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Could the King of Pop make his Wii debut soon?

The PEGI has been a bit quiet for a while, as they tend not to add ratings to their site until the games in question have actually been released. Today, however, one game slipped through the cracks, and it's not an insignificant one either.

A Virtual Console listing for Michael Jackson's Moonwalker has appeared, making it seem like one of the games nobody ever thought we would see could actually be making its way to a Wii near you sometime soon.

If it happens it would be a very special occasion indeed, because as of yet the service has still not seen any movie-based titles other than the Super Star Wars games. As you probably know, however, LucasArts owns the Star Wars license, so these aren't exactly "licensed" titles.

Diehard Sega fans are probably aware that Michael always had close ties with the company: other than Moonwalker, he appeared in their Space Channel 5 games and Ready 2 Rumble Boxing Round 2, and of course there's the ever-persistent rumours that he composed some of Sonic the Hedgehog 3's music. Therefore, it's highly likely that they're putting the game on Virtual Console as a tribute. He deserves it!

As of yet, we don't know if it's the arcade, Mega Drive/Genesis, or even Master System version of the game, but as the Mega Drive one was the most well-known, we're assuming it'll be that one. Ok, yes, it's not a very good game, but you've got to admit saving children from a bunch of gangsters as Michael Jackson by dancing and throwing around fairy dust is a fantastic (not to mention hilarious) concept.

[via pegi.info]

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Knew it was coming. Also, Dreams Come True composed Sonic 2's music. You're thinking of Sonic 3.

JoeDiddley

JoeDiddley said:

I played this as a kid. It was funny. I liked throwing his hat as a weapon!
If it does see a release out I will probably download it.

KanrakusPizza

KanrakusPizza said:

Can someone explain to me what you have to do in the game? MJs music was cool, so i just might get it.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

I told you guys that the game would possibly see an Virtual Console release! Now I'm so excited.

While most licensed games will still have a difficult time seeing an Virtual Console release, this game made it all more likely.

Here's to hoping to more licensing issues solved! And I thank Nintendo, Sega, and most importantly, the Jackson Family for making this possible. I'll download it regardless of quality.

This also helps Earthbound's chance of being released. If Micheal Jackson can have a game on the Virtual Console, then Nintendo has no more reason to not put the game on the Virtual Console.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

If it does pop up, that would be awesome. Considering how much I love the music in the Sonic games, especially Sonic 3, I'd be sure to pick it up, day 1!:D

MrPinguy

MrPinguy said:

No need to censure and eleminate my post for thanking me for correcting you.
In fact isn't the first time that a post of mine is censured without any good reason. A shame in such awesome site.

On side note, This is actually good news, this is a signal of more games with licences... Lucas Arts and now this.
Bring me Disney/Capcom games people!

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

You can call him a smooth criminal, or you can think of him as a stranger in Moscow. This news? It's a thriller! Who'se bad?

McGruber

McGruber said:

OMG awesome! Idk how good the game is but I love all things MJ lately so I will def cop this off the VC

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

:3 :D I'm sorry, but that boxart looks cheesy to me. Otherwise, yay, a chance to play as Michael Jackson! :)

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Yeah guys this game was pretty good! for me it's a major down load, if this is true it's exciting news!!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

This game is loads of fun for anyone who hasn't played it. Awesome it is finally getting release!

Terra

Terra said:

I'm not interested in the game itself, although it is nice to see it get released. I'm interested to see how well this will sell

Luigi-La-Bouncy

Luigi-La-Bouncy said:

I saw 'This Is It' last night, was really interesting, it's such a shame he died. Anyway, I don't really have fond memories of the game, it's another typical AVGN kind of 'classic'.

Link79

Link79 said:

I still have the VHS tape of the movie. It's kinda cheesy as well but cool at the same time. Michael turns into a futuristic car and a giant robot that Transforms into a space ship! I must have watched it 20 times as a kid. I still can't believe the man is dead. Still seems odd being able to say it.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

All you need for moonwalkin' is a short area to slide under in Super Mario Bros. This game is superfluous.

Link79

Link79 said:

I'll probably get it just for the novelty. Even if it's not a great game it has Michael Jackson in it. That alone makes it worth having. Not many games out there starring MJ. I'd almost rather have the arcade version. The music sounds a hell of alot better.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Weird how MJ fans (who are also gamers) wanted this on the VC.

Seems fine, but why the Genesis version. Isn't the arcade like ten times better?

Oh well, as long as I can jam to Smooth Criminal, I'm fine with it. :)

deggs

deggs said:

despite the bad reviews it sometimes gets, it's actually pretty good. i used to play it all the time as a kid. the control kinda sucks but it's fun as heck...

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Okay, firstly the version of the game isn't confirmed, so let's stop jumping to the conclusion it's the Genesis/Mega Drive version.

That out of the way, if it the arcade version I'll definitely buy it!

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Oh well this is just peachy! now this is gonna end up as America's 350th VC title and we will NEVER see Super Smash Bros.!!!!! Why is NOA so against just giving us good games outside of milestones?????

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Eew...seriously? Well, it seems people (inexplicitly) want it, so...okay. I just hope it's not the ONLY VC release the week it comes.

said:

Yikes that was unexpected!

Both versions (arcade and Genesis) were prettty cheesy but the arcade version is better. Still, the Genesis version was somehow curious XD

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I never played the Genesis version of this game but the arcade version was pretty cool. Well, I suppose any version we get will be a welcome addition to the Virtual Console library.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Not too surprised seeing how the Jackson estate is trying to cash in on his death. Always up for new VC games though.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Heck, why don't they release both the Arcade and Genesis versions? Judging from the comments here, both have a considerable amount of demand. But if I had to pick one, I'd pick the arcade, since I've recently played through the Genesis one again when he died.
"Now MJ can rest in peace knowing that Mr.X is defeated!"

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

The caption says "The Virtual Console's first movie game?".
???????????
Don't the Super Star Wars trilogy for the SNES count? Maybe I'm just confused. :$

XD375

XD375 said:

Haha, this isn't his Wii debut. His Wii debut was Guitar Hero: World Tour. :P

When I read this I got really excited, and the idea that it may be the arcade version makes it so much better...

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@ALK - There's a C64 version??? The Master System version looks similar to the MegaDrive version, from what I saw.

Viper6391

Viper6391 said:

Saw the "This is It" movie yesterday and it was AWESOME! It's just a real shame he passed away, because his concert would've been amazing especially having Thriller in 3D. I would definitely buy Moonwalker whether it was the Genesis or Arcade Version(preferably the arcade version) just to hear Smooth Criminal and Beat It.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Yeah, it should be the arcade version. Much more satisfying than the Genesis hide & seek game.

XD375

XD375 said:

The arcade version not only had better gameplay, but it also had better music, which was honestly the reason most people would want to play this game.

wmdwfprez

wmdwfprez said:

Uh...yeah. If I remember correctly when this game came out years ago the game reviewers said this was a pretty horrid game. So why this could possibly be coming to North America isn't a good thing.

MJsbff

MJsbff said:

To hell with people that hate mj he is and will always be king of pop so i do not like people saying that mj molested kids

timp29

timp29 said:

Does this mean someone at disney or rare has to die and then we will see those games?

I hope this game got through the release channels legitimately and is not a cash grab by licence holders seeking to exploit michael's death.

timp29

timp29 said:

@MJsbff: I despise people who molest kids. I suspect Michael did not molest children... but after the first accusations, he must have been a royal idiot or a total innocent to have let himself get into the situation a second time. Unless the people who accused him come out and withdraw the allegations, that cloud will always hang over MJ, so its quite legitimate for people to make these claims (although most of them are just trying to pull a successful person down)

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

@timp29: Let's hope you're right about the 2nd paragraph.

However, no. Even if the creator of those older Disney or Rare games die, that won't mean a flip. We'll still have a problem getting these games on the Virtual Console. We should be lucky here. Also, I remember making a thread saying that the man has died so that means the game could come to the Virtual Console. Many people disagree, However, that probably didn't prevent it's Virtual Console release. Remember, this is an exception here, so we need to take advantage of the game sales by trying to convince as much people to buy the game so we can see more licensed games on the Virtual Console.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I've always been told it was a good game, it seems incredibly well animated based on footage I've seen of it. Can't wait to give it a burl! SEGA certainly had an obsession with people saving children back in the 80s to early 90s

Ren

Ren said:

Arcade version was cool and really fun I hope it's that one. Genesis version is really bad. And I don't mean "Bad!", I just mean bad.
His recent, sad passing will not mysteriously make the other versions of this a good game and arbitrarily dropping Nintendo points on it doesn't help anyone.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

lol, I don't know the game, but ever since I say AVGN play it, I wanted to play it too. So I might get it.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

@58. MJsbff
MJ was a good singer (although I don't care for his music, I can admit he was good). Still, I find it funny now that he has died that people have forgotten about all of the pedofile issues with MJ and treat him like a God. The guy was a complete freak.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

No offense to MJ fans but he was always a much better singer than a video game hero. :p Who am I kidding? I'll probably download this just for the camp value.

AUnkownFuture

AUnkownFuture said:

Are you serious?my little bro likes micheal jackson but i dont know if i get the game for him.ill think about it.im not a Micheal jackson fan but i might wait for the arcade version to come out.if it does.

Caliko

Caliko said:

**dreams come true!!!****

I've been waiting too long for this game!! Amazing news!!

Orgone

Orgone said:

arcade version better, when can we expect a decent arcade game nintendo

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Many people are looking forward to this. Not surprising. Also, we need to support this game if we want to see more licensed games.

Kevin

Kevin said:

Are you kidding me? Of all the potentially great games to add on to the VC they add this? I'll pass.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

THe King of Rock N' Roll (Elvis) died. It took some time, but people got over it. The King of Pop (MJ) died. It will take some time, but people will eventually get over him as well. I, for one, am getting tired of all the Michael Jackson propaganda. However, if they release this game on Virtual Console, it will be a big hit regardless, even if for all the wrong reasons...

davegorack

davegorack said:

Why are ppl looking foward to this?
The Game sucked. the Controls were bad
and it had boring gameplay.Soundtrak was awsome though.