Sin and Punishment 2 Comes into Focus

Posted by James Newton

Famitsu reveals new details, with more to come!

Thanks to Nintendo's lovely Virtual Console service, thousands of lucky Western Wii owners have experienced the wonders of Treasure's seminal shooter Sin and Punishment, its first appearance in the West after years out in the Japanese N64 wilderness. Then, as the delicious icing on the cake, a sequel was announced last year, with only a short video tiding bullet-hungry shooter fans over... until now!

The ever-reliable Japanese magazine Famitsu has come through with new information on the new title, and it's sounding better and better all the time. According to this latest report, the game didn't even begin its life as a sequel to Sin and Punishment, but over time it slowly took that form.

There's good news for those who found the original title a bit too short-lived - the follow-up will include twice as many levels as its predecessor, and the hard mode will be made even more difficult to accommodate the very best players. There's also due to be WiiConnect24 support to allow players all over the world to submit their scores to online leaderboards and weep openly at some of the insurmountable scores that will no doubt appear.

With two playable characters boasting different abilities, combat that moves from land to air and more of the intense action that characterised the first game, Sin and Punishment 2 looks like being one of the Wii's foremost shoot 'em up titles when it's launched in Japan at the end of this month. We'll bring you more information - including updates on its proposed Western release - as and when we get it.

[via uk.wii.ign.com]

James

James said:

The source has a little more information about the game's story, but generally it's all about blowing as many things up as possible.

KoKoO_Psy

KoKoO_Psy said:

Psych! I am so ready! Treasure just don't get this stuff wrong, and the Original is probably my favorite N64 game, even outdoing OOT and SM64.

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Cheetahman91. It IS a lot like Starfox 64, except you play as a spiky-haired dude with a sword-gun instead of an anthropomorphic animal in a spaceship, and it's lots more awesome. :)

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

I can not think of many games that successfully managed to take my favourite run and gun genre into 3D environments, but N64 Sin and Punishment achieved it with its on-rails set pieces.
Twice as many levels sounds like plenty more blasting action, Famitsu is well fab! (when I blurt out "fab" I always cringe, it is such a dorky word. I think I will use it more often. lol).
Previously Contra ReBirth was my most anticipated Wii game and it lived up to my expectations, however I look forward to Sin and Punishment 2 more than any other Wii game now. Thanks for more news on this game James and the Virtual Console (N64) Sin and Punishment review is a great read, too.

Machu

Machu said:

This game is gonna kick even more a55 than the first, which is saying something. Bring it on, I can't wait! Woot!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I can't wait until we finally know the release date. That way I know my deadline for finally beating the first game.:P

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

THANK GOD!!! I've been waiting for detais on this game FOREVER!!! when I heard this game was announced, I just got done with the original on VC and I loved it! Me = Very Happy =D*100

Noire

Noire said:

Sweet, some news on my second-most anticipated game of next year. The news that it will be longer is awesome, as Sin and Punishment is just a tad bit on the short side for me, though still incredible. Very much looking forward to this one.

Now for some news on my most anticipated game of next year (and quite frankly, of all time) and I'll be set for a while.

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

Still looking great :)
However when are you gus going to post the new characters for Tatsunoko Vs. Capacom: Ultimate All-Stars, they were announced and they even have video! I can't wait to play as Zero!

Golgo

Golgo said:

@grenworthshero: if the story makes any sense I'll be disappointed. I think the surreal nonsense added to the lunatic charm of the first game.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I still think something about it looks a little off but I'm willing to wait and see how it turns out in the end

Noire

Noire said:

@JamieO: Sorry, I knew I should have been more specific, but I figured most people would just be tired of me saying its name. My most anticipated game of 2010 (and forever) is Golden Sun DS.

Gigantorama

Gigantorama said:

@ PhoenixSage

Wow, and here I thought I was the only one who really REALLY can't wait for Golden Sun on the DS. Everyone talked about how it should've been on Wii, but I think it'll do fine on the DS if not better. It's better suited to touch play than waggle play, in my opinion.

motang

motang said:

Nintendo and leaderboard...wow! I didn't think I would hear that in the same sentence. :-o
Can't wait for this one to come out! :D