Feast Your Eyes On This Castlevania: ReBirth Footage

Posted by Damien McFerran

Video of the first few levels hits the net, looks fang-tastic

As you may already be aware, Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth came out in Japan recently.

The Western release is still up in the air, so while you're waiting you might want to take a look at this footage, which has been posted up on YouTube by user jodecideion.

Be warned - this may spoil your enjoyment of the game if you're the kind of person who likes discovering all this stuff for themselves.

It's certainly looking pretty tasty, with gorgeous 2D visuals and some fantastic music (fans of the Genesis / Mega Drive instalment will be pleased with the first-level music - I know I am).

It doesn't end there, though; VixyNyan has posted up the second level, too:

We'll be posting some first impressions very soon, so watch this space.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

I wonder if you can ban a mod? Let me see if there's a button for that...

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

Haunted Castle music in stage 2, awesome. The only good thing to come out of that game.

Platypus

Platypus said:

Never actually played a castlevania title before looks like this will be my first.

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Looks good. I can see that its being demonstrated that you cant jump into stairs.

Looks more like the megadrive version. Also first stage music is from that game. Any indication how many stages are in it.?

Sushie

Sushie said:

Looks better than I thought it would. I may pick this up, if the reviews are positive.

Machu

Machu said:

troll mode enabled Never liked it, and from the look of that video, I still don't. And that music would get very annoying, very quick. Blek! troll mode disabled

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

This is no remake, it's a complete reimagining. I might not be super familiar with Castlevania the Adventure, but I'm sure the first level is not structured like that. The games biggest problem is that the controls sucks balls and it's horribly outdated but why change the level structure? Nothing wrong about that... Doesn't mean that this is a bad game obviously but I think I would have preferred a straight remake.

said:

WTH is your problem?! It looks awesome! Simmilar style of the 16 bit versions and cool classic music! what else do you want?!
Geez...

mellowshipslinky

mellowshipslinky said:

Nice. That's about as oldschool as it gets. Takes me back to the very first Castlevania from the arcade/NES. Really, it barely (if at all) resembles the original C:tA..... thank God.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Seems like every level have branching paths. That outta extend the life of the game a bit atleast.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

ONLY SIX LEVELS????? Are you serious???

None of the Rebirth games are particularly long.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

i can say i'll look into this. i definitely see where some are unimpressed, but as someone who has been considering trying out one of the classic castlevanias because he loved the ds ones, but has yet to do so, i think this would be worth my investment instead.

djshep1973

djshep1973 said:

I was hoping this would be looking a bit more like SotN than a MegaDrive version; I'm sure it'll still be great, but can't help feeling a touch disappointed with these clips...

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

this game looks great i watched the first 4 lv videos over 20 times i am so excited it looks great and castlevania games have always been short but insane difficultly mostly only for true gamers that enjoy punishment

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Looks awesome, but I'm not feeling the music...It sounds week compared to Super Castlevania IV.

JRAPOCALYPSE

JRAPOCALYPSE said:

Cannot wait! I agree with Egg miester,if you do not like castlevania games which are a true challenge then you should either go play some ea crap like madden or retire from video games and let the true hardcore gamers do their thing.

ReifuTD

ReifuTD said:

I'll get this but I like the nonlinear leveling up Castlevania games much better but Castlevania is allways fun,

Omega

Omega said:

I think this is like Contra ReBirth. With several modes of difficulty and unlimited continues. So if you want a walk in the park then you can turn easy mode on and make use of the continues. And if you want a real tough challenge like Castlevania I on the NES then you play on hard and start from the beginning everytime when it's game over. At the end everyone is happy.

Porky

Porky said:

@JRAPOCALYPSE "if you do not like castlevania games which are a true challenge then you should either go play some ea crap like madden or retire from video games and let the true hardcore gamers do their thing."

Your mean..

Turbo_Genesis_64

Turbo_Genesis_64 said:

I'm just about speechless! The early Castlevania's were always my favorites and this game looks like a dream come true!

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Oh no, they kept the shooting whip. I always thought that was a stupid element in the original GB game. Apart from that, this looks pretty good.

i8cookie

i8cookie said:

cool, will probably get this. I used to love playing castlevania IV on the snes, never could complete it back then though... Not sure if I totally like this idea of making an old style game, why not make the art style similar but utilise new technology to it's full potential... seems in someways like a step back. (or sideways)

I didn't watch the videos fully, is there the old swinging on loops with the whip?

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I'm glad its the old style. i'm one of the few who cant stand the newer MetroidVania games. Castlevania IV was the most amazing Castlevania game i've ever played. The first and 3rd are fantastic as well. Still need to try Rondo of Blood and Bloodlines....And screw SOTN, beat it and was utterly bored in most parts....the music while good had nothing on IV. the boss battles were sloppy, the amount of weapons was overwhelming, i didn't care for the RPG Elements ect ect. I LOVE Metroid, but not Metroidvania.

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

Wow. As long as I've played Castlevania games, I've liked them. I had never concidered that people could have doubts on them being awesome, but this is the first time a Castlevania game has really caused discussion like this. It's almost a shock to see people complaining. It's true that I too am a bit disappointed that this is not like the DSvanias nowadays, but the old ones rock so hard too. This is such an essential purchase that I don't need to think about it.

wichdog

wichdog said:

I don't know why people complain. This looks fantastic. Also SOTN is good but I wouldn't say its the best in the series. Castlevania IV still holds that title in my book. I own most of console castlevania games, 1-4 on the virtual console and SOTN on Xbox arcade, honostly I would rank SOTN behind Castlevania 3 & 4. Anyways reborn is a day one purchase for me.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Looks better than the screenshot(s) made it look. :)
This is cool. I'd like to see some more of these smaller games, actually. Maybe a slightly more reasonable price but with loads more creativity.

The metroidization of Castlevania was always slightly weak, but if they could make a tighter more dynamic version a la Super Metroid, that could be fantastic.

I'd rather have 3 short fun games than one super long drawn out one.

moroboshi

moroboshi said:

Love it. Old school Castlevania is gaming perfection. You can keep your MetroidVanias, thanks!

Phalyn

Phalyn said:

I think it looks great, old school sidescrolling Castlevania action at its near finest. (Castlevania 4 is still the king)

@ aaronsullivan I know what you mean. While I am not against the metroidvania style many of the games took, it does have some problems. The extreme backtacking can get old after a bit, and if you go long periods of time without playing the game, then suddenly dive into it, you can be overwhelmingly lost. Last night I decided to play more of Aria of Sorrow, been almost a year since I turned it on, and when I did, and opened the map, i was all "..... where was I going?" I had forgotten I completed most of the map, and had no idea where I was heading since last time.
I just wish they would allow you to use the whip in all directions and jump onto the stairs like in SCV4. But this is more of a remake then a completely new Castlevania, and those features werent in the GB games.
The only REAL complaint I have is the timer seems a bit merciless. The player barely finished the first stage with time to spare.
Regardless, I'm DLing this the minute it becomes available.

timp29

timp29 said:

The sound effect when skeletons throw bones sounds like its totally lifted from Scooby Doo

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

I feel exceedingly sorry for anyone who isn't excited about this.

Seriously... the hell is wrong with you? :P

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

I would call it Vampire Killer rebirth, it is much closer to the original and excellent Konami MSX2 VK (1986) than to the sad NES adaption.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Cool straightforward retro castlevania redux arcade style.
Typical part of Konami's ReBirth series.