ABC Murders Investigates DS Next Month

Posted by Sean Aaron

Work with Poirot to solve the mystery!

JoWood Entertainment AG, a European publisher and distributor with a global presence, has announced a new adventure game based upon a novel by renowned mystery scribe Agatha Christie for the Nintendo DS:

Vienna, Austria, September 14, 2009; Agatha Christie’s A.B.C Murders tells the story of Captain Hastings and Hercule Poirot as they attempt to solve a series of bizarre murders committed by an elusive madman. Going off the simple clue of the A.B.C railway guide left at the scene of each crime, Hastings and Poirot follow the leads to Andover, Bexhill, Churston, and Doncaster trying to apprehend the killer before the next crime is committed.

In Agatha Christie’s A.B.C Murders for the Nintendo DS™, players control Captain Hastings as they live the mystery of the A.B.C. Murders. Using touch screen controls; players will inspect crime scenes, question suspects, and draw conclusions of their own in an effort to catch the criminal before the next victim is slain!

This is the second Agatha Christie title from the publisher, the first being And Then There Were None, a Wii port of the PC release from subsidiary The Adventure Company who also developed this game.

The release is scheduled for release on November 4th in North America and 20th November in the UK. We'll be reviewing it around the time of the UK release, but in the meantime enjoy the trailer below!

[via press.jowood.com]

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I'll post it here too. I'm reviewing this for my Dutch adventure website (Adventure-Island.nl), but I'm torn. Not a lot of adventuring, but the story is good, the graphics and sound ok and the puzzles (even though the reason behind most of them is stupid), they are pretty challenging and are puzzles that make you think about it, long after you have put your DS away. I do miss a notebook feature like Hotel Dusk, a notepad and a calculator provide a lot of help to me so far.

JayArr

JayArr said:

My type of game but I'm a little leary of this one. I will wait for your review Sean.

pixelman

pixelman said:

OMG! Poirot! I SO have to get this. :O :O :O

Edit: Actually... that trailer doesn't look too hot. ABC Murders was amazing, though. Sounds like they might've got David Suchet to voice Poirot and Hugh Fraser to voice Hastings - if they did, that's AWESOME.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

No DS have I so I won't be reviewing it. I'm just doing some gap-fill on the news side of things!

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

@pixelman, according to the credits, voice acting is done by JB Blanc, Pat Fraley and Tara Platt. So a lot of duplicates. But don't expect to much of it. It isn't really voice acting. Sometime Poirot or Hastings or another character say something mostly unrelated to the text they supposed to say. Something like "well done" or "I need your help" or "what's up old chap".

The puzzles are sometime real brainbreakers. Small example. 20 people are stranded on a island, they made a raft for four people. Four people can do an hour from island to the main land. What is the shortest time they can get everyone on the main land.

It's mostly fun, but also mostly unrelated to the story. Poirot says there is no time to waste to get to a location, then he throws a puzzle at me which road is faster. That sort of thing. A character wants to tell me something very important, but first I need to guess their age. Sometimes it's really stupid.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Poirot is fantastic, but this game? Not looking quite as hot.
Seems to be Professor Layton Jr., if you ask me.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Why are historic TV channel people making games? I don't get the point. First it was that History Channel FPS on the 360 and now it's this. What's the point?

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I quite enjoyed listening to The ABC Murders on BBC Radio 7 some weeks ago. But thats enough for me. I don't need to buy the game. I'm just not into these types of games.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I've read the book for the second time recently, so I'll pass...

The Wii Agatha Christie game wasn't too hot either...

Saisinkolimonadin

Saisinkolimonadin said:

I can't even think of anything Poirot-related without David Suchet, and I didn't even like the book that much (even though I'm a massive Agatha Christie geek), so I'll probably pass.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I do want to emphasize that there are only a couple of standard lines spoken and the voice actor does a pretty good job. But it's only a couple of lines and I can't imagine anyone not getting a game just because David Suchet isn't in it as Poirot. The rest of the dialogue is just silent.

If you guys like I could try recording a line of speech so you can judge for yourselves. Just let me know.