Zombies Ate My Neighbors Heading to Virtual Console for Real This Time?

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

The OFLC seems to think so.

In the latest OFLC update, fans of LucasArts will find that one of their most requested games seems to be on its way to the Virtual Console at long last.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors is an awesome SNES and Mega Drive game in which you play as one or two teenagers attempting to rescue their neighbors from zombies, mummies, vampires, aliens and other classic movie monsters. You've got a huge arsenal to accomplish this - Everything from squirt guns, to bazookas, flamethrowers, exploding soda cans and even Pandora's box.

With over 55 sizeable levels, including hidden ones, highly addictive gameplay, a great soundtrack and more, it's quite easy to see why fans have wanted it on the Virtual Console for so long. We are assuming that it's the SNES version, so that LucasArts can keep in line with their Super Star Wars games.

Before the Wii was even released, the game was given a rating by North America's ESRB, along with multiple other games, which lead many to believe that it was going to be released on Virtual Console shortly after the Wii was out - But those ratings were later removed, indicating that it must've been a mistake of some kind. Worry no longer though, because it seems that this time, it's finally coming!

[via oflc.gov.au]

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Bah. Give us Ghoul Patrol, its superior sequel!

...I kid. I don't want it and its hardly superior. I'll be downloading Zombies immediately. Just please let it not be the Genesis game. I want the Super Nintendo version. I'll have doubts otherwise.

ReZon

ReZon said:

Instant download - ZAMN is one of the best games from the SNES-era.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

Are there any differences between the Super NES and Genesis versions besides the mild graphics quality and color of the blood on the Game Over screen?

Klaarover

Klaarover said:

That's grand, 'cause it doesn't work well playing multiplayer with the keyboard and emu rom.

motang

motang said:

I remember playing the crap out this game back in the day on my SNES! Don't know if I am up to doing the same now...damn work gets in the way of gaming! :)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I was never very good at the later levels. I liked to plug an Action Replay in and get infinte health and weapons.

Kevin

Kevin said:

YES!!!!! Finally! (Always thought the Genesis version was better but I still got the cart so I promise I won't complain.) I love this game! Perhaps LucasArts has finally jumped on board. Now announce Maniac Mansion and I'll be REALLY ecstatic.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

i think i am going to cry happiest day this year i remember how legendary this game is and its all i ever wanted on the vc

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

Very freakin awesome. I bet this comes this next month for halloween. Perfect.:)
I had a chance to get this for $1 a while back, I believe. Of course I would have had to Find out if my snes that I got from somewhere was working (not even sure I have the controllers.) Not completely sure why I did't gt then.
This is definatly one I want to show my fiance though. Probably be an instant download.
Of course this will be perfect with the vc save thing. Did it have passwords? I can't remember.

RurouniTeeter

RurouniTeeter said:

Awesome. I'd love to see this game come on VC. Though I've played my rom of it like a ton of times, it never gets old. Then can play it multiplayer easier too. Never played the Sega version, doubt its any good compared to SNES version.

Ravage

Ravage said:

This game got really hard on the later levels, it's too bad I don't still have my SNES and all the codes for this game XD. Does anyone know the difference between the SNES and Genesis?

Knux

Knux said:

I have never played this game, but I will buy it if it ever comes to the VC.

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

@Popyman- yep. Nice way to celebrate halloween (playing these types of games) I'm way too old for trick or treating.
I might try that grudge game, but I'd like to here a review or so on it. Heard about it? It's a "haunted house simulator." Hope it's as creepy as the first movie I watched (The actual movie.)

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

I wonder which version we will get?

@RurouniTeeter: The Mega Drive version actually is the same as SNES (sound, graphics etc) except the Mega Drive uses both the 3 Button and 6 Button controls, although playing with the 3 button one is difficult.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Besides Zombies at my Neighbors being rated for re-release a few other titles were rated by the ESRB this week including Final Fantasy I and II as well as the Combatribes

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

What is so important about this game? I remember playing it on emulator for like 5 mins and getting bored....did I miss something?

Kevin

Kevin said:

5 mins. is not enough to give this game a chance. Especially with the variety of different enemies you face in the game. I think the only difference between the versions is both have different sfx for certain things and I remember the game over screen coming down's blood color is different in both games. Genesis: red (reasonable, looks like real blood and looks cool going down unlike the SNES's blood color) SNES: purple. (I always thought it was ugly looking.) If there are any other differences feel free to post them. Those are the ones I remember.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

@BassX0 Your 'Ghoul Patrol' (Comment 4) has really sparked my interest to learn more about it. I've been flicking through my back issues of Super Play, but I can't find it. I have every issue up to Issue 36 (Oct. 1995) and 'Ghoul Patrol' was released late in 1994, so I don't know why I have not come across their review. It sounds like a disappointment from your comment, though.
@longtimegamer (comment 18) and @Popyman (comment 23), you are right a Halloween release for B-Movie style Dr Tongue creations would be perfect timing. I'll keep my eyes peeled for humongous babies and hockey masked, chainsaw maniacs soon. Braaains. :)

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

@longtimegamer (comment 18) I've routed through Super Play for you and found a 'Zombies Ate My Neighbour' player's guide in issue 16 (Feb. 1994). It has a small list of 11 short four letter passwords for the SNES version of the game (e.g. level 5 is GHRT ). I won't list any other passwords, though. I don't want to spoil this one for gamers, before it is even out. They do go up to level 45, so if anyone is stuck much further down the line I could share them.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

I remember playing this with my cousin a couple years ago. It was so much fun. I will definetly get this! :)

Miyabi273

Miyabi273 said:

About time eh? Great game one of the best available for SNES in my opinion. Though there are a whole bunch of great games for it I just love the game play and the soundtrack is awesome!

RurouniTeeter

RurouniTeeter said:

Tried a rom of the Sega version... And...I think it sucks. Graphics are worse and sound is worse, is what you can expect like with Street Fighter and like Clay Fighter too. The one thing it maybe has going for it is it automatically has the radar. But, sometimes is more fun to play without that. Yeah, it has the "real" looking blood dripping down when you get a Game Over, but really, who cares? It's a Game Over screen.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

I already own the Genesis version in cartridge form and I really like it. Not sure if I will download or not.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

the mega drive version's music didn't have that "crunch" and bass. everything else was the same. but i dig some good music so i wish for the snes version to be released on vc.

Pastry

Pastry said:

I played it with my friend on his SNES, I loved it!! I tried to buy one for myself but I couldn't find one anywhere. :(

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

wow, good call whoever that was above--this game's actually kinda cool! I love discovering games I overlooked as a kid.

Kevin

Kevin said:

Already ESRB rated? Sweet. Hopefully we'll get an early Halloween treat.

Darkflash

Darkflash said:

This would be nice on Halloween. I never played it but I might get it when it comes out.

Viral

Viral said:

All I can say is that this game is epic and if this is a sign of things to come, good. :)