Wii Sports an answer to Parkinson's?

Posted by Brad Long

"Wii-hab" proving useful for sufferers

A hope of improving the lives of people with Parkinson’s disease could very well lie in an unlikely source! Over the course of summer, the Medical College of Georgia researched the effects of “Wii-hab” on people with the disease.

18 people were asked to play Wii Sports for an hour a day, three times a week for four weeks. The results have shown that all the participants showed significant improvement in rigidity, movement, fine motor skills and energy levels.

Also shown in the results was that depression levels decreased. It's reported that around half of people with Parkinson's disease also suffer from depression.

While we here at Nintendo Life love the Wii for its innovative controls and fantastic games, we're also proud to see it doing good in the community and improving the quality of life to people who need that more than others.

[via timesonline.co.uk]

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I have an aunt who is a sufferer, and I feel quite bad that I never thought she could've given my Wii a go.

I now know what I have to do!

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

my best friend has not dug his wii out of the closet since his copy of Scarface got stepped on about a year and a half ago, and his dad was just diagnosed with Parkinson's. i'm sending this to him right away!

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

"Also shown in the results was that depression levels decreased"

Depression levels always decrease when people play Wii Sports :)

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I'm a healthcare professional and support this notion that the Wii is good for your health and well-being....if played appropriately obviously!

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

In related news, Dr. Kevorkian recommends playing Karate Phants for an hour a day, three times a week for four weeks.

100% success rate.

Machu

Machu said:

The Wii is being used in nursing homes and for rehabilitation all over the world. Nintendo should definitely keep up the momentum on the health one. Roll on The Vitality Sensor, I imagine that too will have practical uses AND be fun for games. Whatever next huh.

Oh, and none of you made a Dr Mario joke?! I'm disappointed, tsk.

AENIGMA

AENIGMA said:

My father has Parkinson's but due to a spinal cord injury his motor skills are severely hampered. Parkinson's is a horrible disease especially in the later stages (my father is in the final stage).