Top 20 WiiWare Games in USA (2nd Sept)

Posted by Corbie Dillard

It's Wednesday again and time for the WiiWare Top 20!

It's time to take a look at the most popular WiiWare titles available on the Wii Shop Channel. If you're feeling adventurous you can even take a look for yourself by simply logging on to your Wii Shop Channel, heading into the WiiWare section and then viewing "Popular Games". It's that easy!

We compile this list using the USA region Wii Shop channel, so if you live elsewhere your list will probably be quite a bit different. Please feel free to post your region's findings below as always.

Keep in mind that the list below is a measure of actual sales made recently, not of the total time the game has been available for sale.

Top 20 WiiWare games for the 2nd of September:

13 [13] - Family Mini Golf
14 [16] - Defend Your Castle
15 [14] - Water Warfare
16 [12] - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My life as a Darklord
17 [N] - Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 2
18 [17] - Brain Challenge
19 [19] - BUST-A-MOVE Plus!
20 [18] - Cue Sports - Pool Revolution

* [N] - Denotes a brand new entry on the Top 20
* [-] - Denotes a game that was not on the Top 20 last week

Well the fish still have their stranglehold on the top two spots, but it seems that World of Goo is making its way back up towards the top again, climbing up to #3 this week. We're also seeing our old friend Defend Your Castle once again making its way back up the chart as well. Not too shabby considering it was a WiiWare launch title.

The big climber this week was Family Slot Car Racing, which jumped up six spots to #9 this week. The big dropper this week was NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits, which dropped seven spots from the #4 spot last week down to #11 this week. It's a bit of a shame to see this amazing WiiWare release already falling down the chart.

With the addition of Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 2 we did see Overturn drop off the Top 20 this week. We'll just have to wait and see if it can make its way back onto the chart in the future.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Say after me everyone! NO.MORE.FISH! :D Oh well, it'll probably return eventually but as far as I'm concerned this is a landmark moment.

The Swedish Top 20:
(1) 1 - Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
(2) 2 - Family Slot Car Racing
(9) 3 - Arkanoid Plus!
(8) 4 - Bit.Trip Core
(5) 5 - World Of Goo
(4) 6 - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life As A Darklord
(6) 7 - Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
(11) 8 - Mega Man 9
(3) 9 - Driift Mania
(7) 10 - Icarian: Kindred Spirits
(-) 11 - Mr Driller W
(12) 12 - Onslaught
(17) 13 - Texas Hold'em Tournament
(16) 14 - Bubble Bobble Plus!
(18) 15 - Swords & Soldiers
(R) 16 - Bomberman Blast
(14) 17 - Gradius Rebirth
(-) 18 - Texas Hold'em Poker
(15) 19 - Bonsai Barber
(10) 20 - Tetris Party

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

World Of Goo is back? Did a large number of people just suddenly purchase a Wii and download the game or what?!

Sneaker13

15) (17) - NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
16) (8) - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
17) (9) - 5 Spots Party
18) (16) - Water Warfare
19) (18) - Bomberman Blast
20) (-) - Mr. Driller W NEW

We welcome Texas Hold'em Poker and Mr. Driller W which came out last week.

With one new release, we say goodbye to:

• Bonsai Barber (7 last week)
  • Defend Your Castle (20 last week)

That is one terrible fall from Bonsai Barber. It fell from 7 of the list in favor of another Poker game. What are we thinking? Apart from Bonsai Barber, the biggest climber is Arkanoid Plus! that climbed 10 places from 19 to 9. Biggest droppers are 5 Spots Party with 8 spots from 9 to 17 and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Dark Lord (from 8 to 16). Other big dropper is TV Show King (from 6 to 12) which drops 6 spots on the list.

I'm glad to see some good games making some climbs. World of Goo, Swords & Soldiers and Onslaught all climbed back into the top 10.

Rum_Rapture

15 (13) - Bomberman Blast
16 (N) - Mr Driller W
17 (15) - Swords & Soldiers
18 (18) - Defend Your Castle
19 (17) - NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
20 (-) - LostWinds

Up: BIT.TRIP CORE climbs 4 this week. Arkanoid climbs a couple too.
Down: Darklord's down 3, Bonsai Barber's down 4.
Hello: The new poker game's at 13, Mr Driller debuts at 16. LostWinds is back! Due to sequel hype?
Goodbye: Rattle Battle falls from 16, The After Years from 19, and - zomg! - Tetris Party from 20.

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

Why People, Why! Why are we still buying Pokemon Ranch and My Aquarium, and Reel Fishing. I will miss old MM9....

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

NyxQuest is dropping fast and Mr. Driller W didn't even make the chart in the US! WTF?! Man, I really hate fish!:(

XGen

XGen said:

Thanks so much to all of you guys! There's no way that Defend Your Castle would still be on these charts after all this time if it weren't for your awesome support. (Except those Dutch! *shakes fist :))

Keep on defending!

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

@XGen
Yeah, cause having it leave the chart after 53 straight weeks? And what about the Swedish chart, it left the top 20 there 9 weeks ago even. That's just awful...

I wonder how Legendo would feel about those numbers though. :P

odd69

odd69 said:

I'm surprised at the fishing game being first,people really love virtual fishing =). I did my part, and continue to only support platformers , RPG's, and action games. I just can't seem to finish The after years,it's so horrible to me.

XGen

XGen said:

It's tough to see genuinely good games (we miss our chart buddy Toki Tori :() not do as well as some of the shovelware that's out there.

Whether it's on the charts or not, we're still in awe at how well our humble little game has done, and for the record we at XGen love the Dutch! :)

In light of all these fish-themed games on the charts, we're considering a new theme... Defend Your Aquarium sounds like a real hit! ;)

Knux

Knux said:

Et tu, XGen? :P
It appears that everybody LOVES fish, and everybody LOVES Sexy Poker. So I think Sexy Poker's sequel should be called Sexy Fish:Starring Earthworm Jim. :P

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Wow, the US list is quite depressing to look at: where's the love for the classics? Where is Mr. Driller (no wonder Drill Land stayed in Japan!)?

Anyway, here's the Japanese lists (not much better than the USA, frankly with Pokemon overlording everything else, though at least My Aquarium has stayed off the chart for the last few weeks!):

1 (1) Pokemon Scramble
2 (2) Pokemon Fantasy Dungeon Ikuzo! The Adventures of Storm
3 (3) Pokemon Fantasy Dungeon Muzase! The Adventures of Light
4 (4) Final Fantasy IV - The After Years
5 (5) Pokemon Fantasy Dungeon Susumu! The Adventures of Flame
6 (14) Discipline
7 (6) Pole's Big Adventure
8 (N) Simple Series Vol. 4: The Room Escape
9 (7) Asobu Made in Ore
10 (8) Okiraku Tennis Wii
11 (11) Bomberman Blast
12 (10) Fish Eyes Challenge (Reel Fishing Challenge)
13 (9) Karaoke Joysound Wii
14 (15) Rockman 9
15 (12) My Pokemon Ranch Platinum
16 (13) FFCC My Life as a Darklord
17 (16) Game of Life
18 (18) Tomy Car Driver
19(17) Tomenasanner Wii
20 (20) Dr. Mario & Germ Buster

Farewell: Sea Farm

The other WiiWare release granted First Impressions last week: Room Escape, joins Discipline in a jump to the top pushing aside Sea Farm.

And again just for fun, the VC top 20:

1 (1) Super Mario Bros. (FC)
2 (2) Super Mario Bros. 3 (FC)
3 (3) Puyo Puyo 2 (MD)
4 (4) Super Mario World (SFC)
5 (5) Downtown Special Kunio-Kun no Jidaigeki dayo Zenin Shuugoo (FC)
6 (7) Final Fantasy III (FC)
7 (6) Final Fantasy IV (SFC)
8 (9) Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask (N64)
9 (8) Super Mario Kart (SFC)
10 (10) Super Mario Bros. 2 (FC)
11 (11) Super Mario RPG (SFC)
12 (12) Mario Kart 64 (N64)
13 (14) Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (N64)
14 (N) Custom Robo V2 (N64)
15 (18) Seiken Densetsu 2 (SFC)
16 (15) Super Mario 64 (N64)
17 (13) Downtown Nekketsu Kooshinkyoku Soreyuku Daiundookai (FC)
18 (16) Super Smash Bros (N64)
19 (19) Ike lke! Nekketsu Hockey-bu
20 (17) Ice Climber (FC)

Farewell: Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SFC)

A little bit of shuffling and the appearance of an N64 game that was released last year knocks Kirby off the top 20 completely.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Sorry XGen for those damn Dutch people ;). But I got a feeling we will be seeing it back in our list soon. It returned in June, in July, in August so why not in September.

KDR_11k

(17) 15 Water Warfare
(9) 16 Bonsai Barber
(13) 17 Fun Fun Minigolf
(16) 18 NyxQuest
(-) 19 Bit Trip Core
(18) 20 Brain Challenge

Buried at a crossroad: 3-2-1 Rattle Battle (19), Swords & Soldiers (20)

Arkanoid made a lot of ground. TH Poker replaces TH Tournament. Another massive drop for Bonsai Barber. Core finally charts.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Ugh. People need to buy better games; that just about sums up every week I see this Top 20 list. No Mega Man 9, Onslaught, LostWinds, Bit.Trip Beat or Core, Art Style games, Neves Plus, Eduardo, Gradius ReBirth, Swords & Soldiers? Sigh...

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Why is it that Wiiware's been smelling so fishy lately :|

Like it or not, judging by it's recurring position on the charts, Sexy Poker's gonna be hanging around for a while :*
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Kirk

Kirk said:

Looking at this list really gives an interesting insight into the kinds of games that are selling on WiiWare and maybe the tastes and average buying habits of the various people using the service.

I find it funny how I bought a core/hardcore game like Onslaught like but also a total casual-fest like My Aquarium too!

NotEnoughGolds

NotEnoughGolds said:

I thought the joy of fishing was sitting in a boat in the middle of a lake drinking beer and having inappropriate discussion with buddies. Oh yeah, and stabbing a leach with a hook.
I don't get how all this is properly translated onto WiiWare in such a way that everybody can't get enough of it.
At least Rock Man 9 is still in the top 20 in Japan, thought it seems not anywhere else in the world.

NotEnoughGolds

NotEnoughGolds said:

@Djungelurban:
Oh I guess it is in the Swedish top 20. Anyway it's still not getting nearly enough love in the US.
I actually don't know anyone who's bothered to purchase it.
There was one who wanted to play it but was dissuaded by the difficulty of the XBL achievements. Yes, he really wouldn't buy the game because he didn't want to have a low achievement score for the game. So he continues to buy Madden every. single. year.

cpl1701

cpl1701 said:

I downloaded Nyx Quest & Defend Your Castle this week, but I can't believe that a fishing game and a virtual aquarium are on top. What's up with that???

Earendel68

11 (11) - Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
12 (8) - Mega Man 9
13 (13) - Cue Sports - Pool Revolution
14 (15) - Defend Your Castle
15 (17) - Onslaught
16 (-) - OVERTURN
17 (N) - 3-2-1, Rattle Battle!
18 (18) - Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord
19 (14) - Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1
20 (-) - BUST-A-MOVE Plus!

As you can see, the top 4 games don't even move (by the way, I wonder why Reel Fishing Challenge has no entry in Mexican top 20). Anyway, OVERTURN and BUST-A-MOVE Plus! have returned and 3-2-1 Rattle Battle is a new challenger in the top WiiWare list.

I love Final Fantasy games and I'd like to see them in a higher rank, but... numbers are SO cold, as they say. See you later!!!