OFLC Ratings Promise Street Fighting Action

Posted by Damien McFerran

Two of Capcom's vintage brawlers get the classifications board treatment

Australia's OFLC ratings board has just confirmed that two instalments in Capcom's classics Street Fighter series have been awarded official ratings, which means they're probably coming to the Virtual Console very soon.

Fighting Street is the PC Engine/TG16 version of the very first Street Fighter entry. It was one of the first CD-ROM releases for NEC's machine and while it's a nice enough conversion, it isn't helped by the fact that the arcade original is pretty dire.

Street Fighter II: Champion Edition, we assume, is going to be either a release for the Virtual Console Arcade channel or the Japan-only PC Engine port, as we already have the Mega Drive / Genesis version of the same name.

[via oflc.gov.au]

Related Games

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I have SF1 on the PSP Capcom Collection so I'll probably pass. Good to see it coming to the VC though. The controls are awful but the graphics were great for a 1987 game.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

@BassX0 I have the Capcom Collection on PSP and PS2 (volume 2) as well and I found Street Fighter 1 (aka TG16 Fighting Street) arcade to be a disappointment. I found the transition through the emulation lost a lot in the controls, particularly as some arcades incorporated pressure sensitive pads.
I felt that the imprecise Capcom Classics Collection Street Fighter 1 controls increased the difficulty in an unfair manner, although I was under the impression that there was a fun game somewhere in its design.
I would hazard a guess that the PC Engine CD Rom version of this would have smoother joypad control (ie easier to input special moves), I am also interested to hear if it has more detailed, improved graphics.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Actually I bet these are the Turbo-Grafx versions since we have not had many Turbo games out this year. Street Fighter/ Fighting Street is not great game at all but it cool to the the origins of what became a great series. Hopefully at some point the Street Fighter Alpha games will arrive for VCA.

Kevin

Kevin said:

I mean seriously, do we need more street fighter games on the VC?

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

@Kevin- I'm with you. About as bad as George Lucas's Starwars films, being repackaged over and over(better sound, better graphics, Soon the 3d versions of these films. What's next? Starwars: The scratch and sniff edition?).
Fighting Street is not so bad because VC hasn't gotten z version yet.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

Did they rate Street Fighter 2010? Because we all need a Street Fighter platformer set in the future. And who can't wait for all the cool future cyber-tech that we'll have by 2010?

(Looks at calendar.) Aw, nuts.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

It´s true that Street Fighter part 1 is pretty terrible, but I was still glad to be able to play it on Classics vol 2. I was curious about the origin, and I guess some would like to try it on VC too. But no, we don´t need another version of SFII.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Unless its the arcade version. The SNES and Genesis versions are inferior to the arcade.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

The SNES and Genesis are very very good ports of the arcade. It's not that much of a difference. Also Damo mentioned that SF: Champion edition could also be the Turbo Grafx version. We have to wait and see first because Capcom has not supported the VCA at this point. I think its great to see the original SF again on the VC, but I think most people will be disappointed when they play it. Great for collectors though

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

no alpha yet thats a shame but its great to see fighting street i never had a chance to play it

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

Even though I don't really care much for these games, it's still nice to see Capcom games appear on the VC.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

The thought of more Street Fighter games on Virtual Console doesn't exactly thrill me. It's just like the Wonder Boy games; they just keep releasing alternate versions of games we already have. Call me when they get the arcade version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo, as that would be the only way I'd buy anymore games from that series other than the ONE I have now (SNES Turbo for anyone that's curious).

The one bit of good news from this is that this means more TG-16 games are on the way which could be pointing to an imminant release of Rondo of Blood, which I still attest will release, at least in the US, next month.

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

The_Ink_Pit_Ox said:

More Street Fighter? I always thought it was ridiculous that there were so many variants. Hyper Fighting, Turbo, Championship Edition, The New Challengers. Street Fighter II is Street Fighter II to me. I don't care what version.

sectoidcorpse

sectoidcorpse said:

Not all of you may be thrilled but I will be downloading both of these. The tg16 SF2 was an amazing port, considered better then the genesis port by many.
Now capcom please give us an arcade port of alpha 2gold or alpha 3 and you will make a lot of people happy, the snes port was a waste.

Jolted85

Jolted85 said:

thank you capcom for supporting VCA, all you have to do is release SF2 and then the other 4 upgrades for VC then my life will be complete.

Having arcade perfect Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo will be awesome.

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

Cool about the original release but haven't we had enough of Street Fighter? I'm sure everyone here has at least one iteration. Either way it's a great addition :).

P.S: Anyone heard of Project Needlemouse yet? Just curious.

Jolted85

Jolted85 said:

@20 the hardcore fans know the difference between each version, but to the average gamer they usually cant tell its the subtle differences :)

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

For those PS2 owners, the Street Fighter Alpha Anthology is an awesome collection of all the Alpha games while we wait for Street Fighter Alpha to join the VC.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Yes. The Alpha Anthology is my PS2 game of choice these days. Its even my fighting game of choice as well despite owning SFIV and HD Remix on XBox 360. I could not recommend the SNES version of Alpha 2 because of the crappy load times at the start of each round.

And regarding the multiple versions of SF2, it was because it was insanely popular at the time which meant that Capcom would have been fools not to have cashed in from the popularity. I think it would have been better if Champion Edition and New Challengers had not been created and the series went from World Warriors to Hyper Fighting to Super Turbo but I had it pointed out to me that the improvements and refining upon each sequel would not have happened if it weren't for the prequel - they could not have created Hyper Fighting if it hadn't been for Champion Edition being first. I must have easily have spent over £1000 buying console versions of the various Street Fighter games and its sequels. Every time a new game, upgrade or collection came out, I'd buy it. I even bought the same game more than once sometimes. I owned the PS1 version, two or three copies of the Dreamcast version, the GBA version and now the PSP version of SFAlpha 3. Plus I own the Anthology as well.

I look forward to a SFIV upgrade.

vio

vio said:

LOL. Are they actually going to release the PC Engine version of Street Fighter II? I remember people joking about them releasing that, but no one would thought they actually would. It's a really good port and shows off what the PCE/TG16 is capable of better than any other game, but damn, enough with the SF2 Capcom! How about some Street Fighter Alpha instead? Or some more Mega Man games.

I welcome Street Fighter 1("Fighting Street") though. It's not a very good game, but it was the start of a legendary franchise and should definitely be on on the VC. Plus it's another TG16 game and that's always a good thing.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I've just got one of SF 2s from the VC, "New Challengers". Its very good. I hope they do a new SF for the Wii, I'd instabuy it.

I think ONM put the SF 2 series well within the all time great top 10 of games that have appeared on Nintendo consoles.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom is the closest we're going to get for a new Street Fighter game on the Wii.

marktheshark

marktheshark said:

Capcom won't be done with the endless Street Fighter II versions until the C64 version is released. :p

Adroitone

Adroitone said:

Hey everyone, the Street Fighter 2 that's in question is definitely the arcade version. The arcade version of Street Fighter 2 was the only one called Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition. The TG16 and Genesis versions were called Street Fighter 2: "Special" Champion Edition. So rejoice, Capcom is officially supporting VCA!!!!!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I wonder why they didn't release World Warriors first. Not that I'm complaining.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I wish Capcom would bring the Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter III series for VCA. I'm getting tired of all the old Street Fighter II ports (I mean add that one SFII: CE and we'd have five similar versions of it).

Adamant

Adamant said:

Yep.

SF2':CE was also the last hucard release for the PC Engine, and is pretty notable for that.
Though yeah, I can't see much of an audience for this. Why not release something we DON'T have an almost identical version of?

vio

vio said:

Exactly. It's virtually the same game as the Genesis' "Special Champion Edition" except the music isn't as good and it lacks the turbo speed settings. It is more colorful and has better sound effects/voices though. But really, with all the other versions of SF2 already on VC, it's next to pointless beyond as a tech demo for the TG16/PCE. It's great to show to people who think the TG16/PCE was incapable of producing graphics as good as the SNES or Genesis.

vio

vio said:

"I just YouTubed that. It looks horrible."

But keep in mind that's on an 8-bit machine. Now if you wanna see horrible, look up some videos of the Master System and NES pirate versions.