Nintendo Trademarks "The Last Story"

Posted by Jamie Giggs

What has The Big N got planned?

It's been revealed that Nintendo has registered the title "The Last Story" as a trademark in Japan.

The title is registered in English - which might not come as a massive shock, but Nintendo normally files its names in Japanese. Could this mean we're looking at an international release for the mysterious upcoming game?

Other than that though there's not much else to go on, so let's do some good old-fashioned speculation - maybe it's Super Mario Galaxy 2: The Last Story, or the rumoured Starfox game, or even a brand new IP altogether.

It's over to you, loyal readers - let’s hear your ideas. The more outlandish the better.

[via totalvideogames.com]

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Supermarioman: How could that NOT be the first thing to pop into one's head, what with "Final Fantasy" being EVERYWHERE in gaming? :D

I dunno...if it's somehow NOT an RPG (in which case, shame on Nintendo), maybe it's a text-heavy interactive novel-type thing (think Phoenix Wright or Hotel Dusk...which would be awesome enough to undo the aforementioned shame)?

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the last game Nintendo ever makes -- you heard it here first!

Terra

Terra said:

This does sound like a name you'd use for an RPG, so maybe it's for Golden Sun or Fire Emblem. I personally think this'll be a brand new game but knowing Nintendo I'm not too sure.

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

This is a long shot but it might be for the new Wii Zelda. Or otherwise, what supermarioman said :P

Dazran303

Dazran303 said:

Some game involving only Mii's as the characters! Like a Zelda game but more WuHu island style :)

Stevie

Stevie said:

If its a mario game shouldn't it be called Mario: Same as the last story

Adam

Adam said:

New game, please. Though it would be nice if it were meant as literally the last story of one of their long running series. Sometimes conclusion is nice.

Knux

Knux said:

I think it is either a RPG based on a new IP, or it could be the final Paper Mario RPG game.

Objection

Objection said:

I like it. Whether its a new IP or a conclusion, I look forward to where Nintendo is taking it.

Machu

Machu said:

@Token Girl: Don't even go there! :O

I'm guessing Retro, what with the English name, as for what game, I haven't a clue.

@NL: I'm liking this new rumour trend, keep it up. :)

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

The only things I can think up are:

A. A new game altogether
B. Possibly a new Earthbound game (just maybe)
or...
C. A Nintendo mash-up game a-la SSB that focuses on story

Other than those three "ideas", I have no clue.

Jave

Jave said:

My prediction. It's a Fire Emblem game, and the last one that focuses on Tellius (The Ike universe).

paulcmnt

paulcmnt said:

Yeah, I'd say it has something to do with Retro, considering they were already working on some unannounced project.

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

It might be a new console. It would continue the recent trend of oddball names like Wii, so the next one is a phrase: The Last Story.
It's called the last because it'll be so good that no more consoles will be bought after it. And Nintendo has the test facilities in which they have tested it's success. So Nintendo is rady to take over the world with a new console that will end all consoles.
"Hi Mitch have you played TLS?"
"... I'm living it, go away..."

Edwin

Edwin said:

I don't think it can be for Zelda. They wouldn't put the words, "legend" and "story", in the same title (The Legend of Zelda: The Last Story). Those two words are synonyms and "story" is not as epic sounding as "legend".

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

@Edwin: Good point.

Im hoping its a new game. I'll take a sequel, but new IP would be nice. Im hoping this has to do with Retro's secret game or Project Sora.

AVahne

AVahne said:

maybe this is Project Sora, which also seems to be a RPG, i hope the characters end up awesome

mushroomer

mushroomer said:

"Final Fantasy"
"The Last Story"
Final=Last
Fantasy=Story
I see an RPG like none has fathomed.. It will be a huge EPIC spanning all the franchise.. Think Super Smash Bros meets Final Fantasy..
Mario wakes up to find that all the sprites have been removed from the Mushroom kingdom. He enters the pipe that usually leads to Luigi's Mansion but finds himself in a black room with a spotlight on something... He moves forward into the light and finds that from all 8 directions, heros that span the Galaxies enter a portal.. Link, Samus, Kid Icarus, Mario himslef, Kirby, Fox McCloud, Captain Falco and Starfy ... Thus the saga begins. On a quest of massive proportions... Sidescrolling mindbenders meet first person bow and arrow shooters. You must work together as a team to restore the planet and place all the sprites to their rightful homes... Saving princesses will only be a backdrop to a tale of unimaginable proportions. Get ready for the gaming event of the millenium. Thus enters The Last Story. Are you ready?

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

There simply can't be "The Last Story" with Mario. Nintendo will always make more Mario games. Like at the end of Sunshine, when Bowser Jr said, "Someday, when I grow up, I wanna fight that Mario again!" And he did - twice - in New Mario Bros DS and Galaxy Wii. ;)

Poor Lumas - sucking themselves into a black hole to save the universe... :O

Back on topic, maybe "the last story" might refer to Metriod or Zelda? It certaintly can't be a Yoshi game, as this was the prequel to Mario Brothers...

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

I think it could be Super Smash Bros.: The Last Story. If so, I hope they have crazy plans for the game and make it so awesome, it's going to blow all other games.

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

Heh, this little morsel of information is quite tasty, and I snack upon it like it is the flies of a frog.

Fawfulesque post. :-D

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

Anyways, I hope this "Last Story" is NOT for one of Nintendo's current franchises...it could mean the end of that franchise.

AND IF IT'S MARIO, I AM GOING TO EXPLODE IN RAGE AND FURY.

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

It's the new Legend of Zelda instalment, you wait and see. That doesn't necessarily mean it'll be the last Zelda, of course; we've had more than twelve "Final" Fantasies, after all...

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

Kirby's Last Story :(.

Seriously? Who knows? I seriously doubt it's Final Fantasy lol...Square Enix make those for one. I hope it's a great game. It could be a Yoshi title.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I do seriously doubt this title has anything to do with any preexisting Nintendo franchises. People definitely shouldn't be WORRYING about it right now! :P