EnjoyUp To Release Zombie BBQ on DSiWare in Europe

Posted by Damien McFerran

DS retail release becomes a download-only version for Euro gamers

EnjoyUp Games has confirmed today that it is working with Gammick Entertainment to release its shooter title Little Red Riding Hood Zombie BBQ on DSiWare in Europe.

The game was previously only available in North America (and some parts of Europe) as a fully-fledged DS retail release. We reviewed it a while back and thoroughly enjoyed it.

This is a pretty unique move; while we've had numerous cut-down versions of retail games on DSiWare, this represents the first time that a full-sized retail game has been shoehorned onto the format. It also shows that publishers are willing to use DSiWare as a low-cost, low-risk alternative to distributing a game via retail stores, where the cost of producing physical copies makes releasing low-profile titles less profitable. Could we see other import-only retail titles making their way to DSiWare? Let's hope so.

Equally interesting news is that the DSiWare version will feature an improved frame rate - something that is presumably made possible thanks to the DSi's more powerful hardware.

Related Games

Terra

Terra said:

I'm not that interested in the game itself, what I am interested in is what releases this could lead too in the future, if other developers/publishers do the same thing.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Looks like Europe only at this stage - the game got a retail release in North America. Needless to say, we'll keep you posted if the situation changes.

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

This is interesting. Both the game itself and the fact that it's actually a fully retail title. I'm looking forward to more titles that never got to Europe as retails for the DSiWare store since that's an even bigger reason to buy one :)

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

sadly this game is insanely rare in states over half of all game/electronic stores never got it, i still want to play it oneday

Brionkendo

Brionkendo said:

I'm just glad dev's are jumping on the dsiware bandwagon. I think Dsiware could improve significantly this fall and we could see some suprise titles, just as we have been seeing recently. If games utilize the online multiplayer, they will make gamers very happy.

Objection

Objection said:

The original has become hard to find and I missed my chance to get it a couple months ago. Perhaps it will release in multiple regions.

Ren

Ren said:

Good idea,
Maybe worth a cheap download, but it didn't change my life. Kind of a good "pass some time on the bus" game is all it is. The Bosses are pretty cool on it, though.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

Woohoo, didn't expect we'd ever see that game! Plus DSiWare is always useful as it reduces the number of carts I have to carry to get a decent library moving.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Hopefully this will start to become a trend and we will move away from "A little taste of..." titles.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

This made me wish Metal Slug 7 was a DSiWare download. The retail release was quite a rip-off, a good arcade portable experience but lack co-op multiplayer support and WiFi online play. It's good that the game is coming to XBLA because playing it online was the last thing I wanted to do.