Capcom Interested In Doing More Retro Games

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Unsure if sales were disappointing for Mega Man 9

Contrary to popular belief, game companies have a vested interest in making money. Things that appear to be massive fan service, like Capcom's downloadable retro sequel Mega Man 9, bank on said fans actually buying the game, especially when considering doing it all again.

So how were those sales?

Christian Svensson, corporate officer/VP of Strategic Planning & Business Development, said over on the Capcom Unity forums:

I don’t think we were disappointed by it. I can’t say right now whether or not you’ll see more in this style but I know there’s creative interest in doing so.

Certainly doesn't sound like they were blown away with sales of Mega Man 9. Then again, it received fan and critical acclaim alike, and the whole retro sequel thing seems to be the cool thing to do nowadays. If Capcom can pull it off again, which we just know they can, gamers would certainly be in for a treat. Let's just hope the creative interest turns into, you know, money-making action.

What other Capcom series would you like get the old-school shuffle?

[via gonintendo.com]

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

I wanna see the Bionic Commando and 1942 remakes on Wii, probably downgraded, but if so, I don't care. Don't even have to be the same games as the ones on the 360, could be different, could be 2D or 3D, I don't care...I just want to see them...I don't own a 360 or PS3...

BL_Donth

BL_Donth said:

Megaman 10 8-bit
Resident Evil 6 ;bring back the zombies.
Make a Viewtiful Joe 3.
and more Disney/Capcom games in 8 and 16 bit

Lombax42

Lombax42 said:

I want Mega Man X9 or Mega Man Legends 3! I also wouldn't mind if they did Maverick Hunter X2 since the first one was so good.

Noire

Noire said:

Make Mega Man X9 SNES-style. I will buy it. That is all, Capcom.

Lombax42

Lombax42 said:

Oh yeah, I also want an English translation of "Wily and Light no Rock Board: That's Paradise." It looks great, but I can't read Japanese! :(

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

Brand new entry in the Ghosts n Goblins series in 16-bit. Maybe even Final Fight 4.

said:

Just make Legends 3, Capcom. Just make Legends 3.

Popyman

Popyman said:

I agree with Cleveland Rock. And give us Mega Man 64 while they're at it!

Supermarioman

Supermarioman said:

Look people, don't ask for something like Street Fighter IV (On WiiWare)
Becuase that is too huge!

said:

I thought they already said that MM9 sales were pretty good <.<

and MM10 will be awesome..just PLEASE low down the difficulty a bit! It was ridiculously hard!

vherub

vherub said:

the cost of making the game could not have been high at all. Plus, mm9 sales will continue onward for years.

Objection

Objection said:

They're not impressed with the sales? Methinks their expectations may have been a little too high then. :P

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

I doubt Capcom is in this to make money or they would have had a much bigger focus on the Wii (where the biggest userbase along with the smaller dev costs are).

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

I'd love to see LED Storm remade - doubt it will happen though.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Megaman 9 was on all three systems too. I'd like Megaman & Bass 2 instead of Megaman 10 with Megaman 7 or Megaman 8 style graphics.

Digiki

Digiki said:

If they can pull it off again? They didn't exactly do a good job this time, but I'm willing to give them another chance.

leon_x

leon_x said:

• saturday night slam masters
  • gun smoke
  • duck tales
  • magical quest starring spiderman (just kidding)
  • megaman x
  • breath of fire
  • darkstalkers
WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Remake Super Ghouls'n Ghosts! Only with the original graphics, more stages, more enemies, more challenge (me like! ;)), and require to beat it three times. Some might say I'm a masochist, but let me assure you I am no such thing.
Oh, and please make a Breath of Fire title like you have for the SNES. Please, and keep the original battle system.
That's all for now.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Maybe bring over Super Street Fighter II HD Remix? Sure it couldn't be in HD on the Wii, but you could just call it.... 480p-mix?

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Im sure they made money on Mega Man 9 but I doubt it was the insane amounts that a full retail price would justify but Im sure they made money. SO give us Mega Man 10 and a New Bionic Commando cause Rearmed is one of the best games in my library.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Bring on Ravaging Ghouls'n Ghosts, SNES style! [I came up with a title for my idea] If you do that Capcom, especially the three quests, I'll be happy. :)

Steviis_Father

Steviis_Father said:

Remake "The Magical Quest featuring Mickey Mouse"... Seriously.
It holds up really well, even by today's standards of gameplay (it has a lot in common with the 1-player mode in Trine). But frankly, if they utilize an awesome 2D animated art-style (Dust: An Elysian Tale, Muramasa, etc.) it could really work!

They do really well in the animation department (Tatsunoku Vs. Capcom...and basically every other animated fighting game of theirs.), so trying to do a tie up with Disney to accomplish such a feat would be a walk in the park.

Plus now that Disney bough Marvel, maybe Mickey Mouse can come out in future fighting games as his Magical Quest switching self! Anything's possible!

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Hm. Feels like Capcom´s best NES titles are Mega Man and the Disney games. I don´t think a new 8-bit Mega Man would be the best idea, but I´d love Ducktales 3.

A NES version of Lost Planet would kick ass too!

When making "retro style" sequels to existing games, SNES should be Capcom´s plattform. I´d buy a Mega Man & Bass 2 or X9, but a new UN Squadron, Ghosts´n Goblins or even King of Dragons would be more surprising.

deadly_by_design

deadly_by_design said:

Megaman 9 met all of my expectations, and I hope any future remakes are limited to the 8-bit generation. SNES, at the latest. The N64 really isn't classic in the same way, and its library hasn't aged well at all.

Meffaliss

Meffaliss said:

I loved Megaman 9 (Rockman 9) but i truely have no ideas of what game they should re-make....Well...maybe the G and G serie, i loved those games. But I think the one game i would REALLY love to see once again, burning in the demon world's flame, the famous Demon's Crest. This game should be remade....

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

I've always thought making a Magic Sword game in a Metroidvania style would work excellently. Also, of course, a Mega Man X sequel in SNES style would be amazing.