The Portable SNES You've Always Wanted, But Can Never Have

Posted by Damien McFerran

NOT coming soon to shop near you!

Wouldn't it be great to have a mobile SNES that you could take with you everywhere? Well, until Nintendo decides to pull its finger out and launch the DSi Virtual Console service we're all hoping and praying for, you'll have to send begging letters to industrious French hardware modder darthchris13.

This talented chap has managed to cram a SNES into a smaller, portable shell equipped with a 2.5 inch screen and all the relevant controls.

What's more, he's even created packaging for the machine, just so you can picture it sitting on the store shelf of your dreams, waiting to purchased.

[via kotaku.com]

The_Eye_Projects

The_Eye_Projects said:

Ultimate! But it looks so inconvient, it would probably hurt your hands to hold this block, but it would sure look good on my Nintendo shelf...

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I'm afraid you'd look rather ridiculous holding that thing. If you really need a good portable SNES, get one of those GP2X systems that is geared towards emulation. You can still buy the original cartridges as well of course, to make it all legal and tangible, but you won't be shoving them into a gigantic cube anymore.

Kirk

Kirk said:

It's just a pity it looks so crap.

The one linked in the post above is much nicer.

ccatron

ccatron said:

oh this is so much better than both of those..

Emulation Software Available for: MAME (retro arcade games), Amiga, Atari ST, Commodore VIC20/64/128, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, NeoGeo and more

or even this one...

Gaming Console Modes:

• NES (Nintendo Entertainment System - 8bit)
  • SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System - 16bit)
  • Sega Genesis (Sega Mega-Drive - 16-bit)
  • GBA (Nintendo Game Boy Advance)
  • Neo-Geo (SNK Neo-Geo)
  • CPS1 and CPS2 (CAPCOM, arcade game systems, 1st and 2nd edition)
ejamer

ejamer said:

I've got a Game Boy Micro - not quite a portable SNES, but close enough when you are carrying FFIV and FFVI in your pocket. It's also much better looking and more convenient. ;)

LoopyLuigi

LoopyLuigi said:

or.... you could hack the everlasting crap out of a psp and have pretty much every retro console emulator on board, including ps1.

Ryuuga

Ryuuga said:

Looks cool, but a hacked PSP, a GP2X and a Dingoo/Pocket Retro Game Emulator looks better!

But for a true portable SNES, I prefer the one shown at post #7

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@ccatron - Shame that The Wiz doesn't emulate the SNES 100%. It struggles with mode 7 and transparency effects. I have one myself and it's a neat little machine.

Blue_Protoman

Blue_Protoman said:

@warioswoods (post 4): The best SNES emulator available isn't too great. You have a choice of either a sketchy framerate or sound so quiet, you can barely even hear it with headphones. I had framerate problems with Earthbound, one of the least hardware-intensive SNES games made.

TanookiMike

TanookiMike said:

I've been following this project for awhile on the Ben Heck forums.

Can't wait to finish my NES in a GameBoy original for the 20th anniversery!

Omega

Omega said:

All games that I ever liked on the SNES were ported to the GBA. So I do not necessarily need a portable SNES. For me, the GBA was always a kind of portable SNES.

Nevertheless, the portable SNES looks really interesting. Like a lunch box in SNES style. And the display shows how many sandwiches are left. :-P

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

This would go great with my Nomad. I hope some company starts selling these someday.

JRAPOCALYPSE

JRAPOCALYPSE said:

Looks cool but just not something i would want to play due to size and weight,the size makes it a horrible design,i might as well put a screen in the side of my wii and play it the same.