That Earthworm Jim WiiWare Game? Yep, A Remake

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Confirmed by Gameloft.

Looking forward to that new Earthworm Jim game slated to hit WiiWare later this year? Well, if you're a fan, odds are you've already played it.

Gameloft has confirmed our suspicions about their recently announced title: it's indeed a remake of the 1994 original, which just so happens to already be available on Virtual Console.

If you don't care about updated graphics or potential new features, might as well just grab it now, eh?

[via g4tv.com]

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Did anyone seriously think that Gameloft would be doing a completely original Earthworm Jim game in the first place? Come on. :)

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Good for me, I steer way clear of 50Hz Megadrive stuff... It might turn out well, as long as the graphics are not altered too much.

Metang

Metang said:

Well, that dashes all hopes of seeing it on VC. Considering I've never played an Earthworm Jim game, I'll get the remake if Gameloft doesn't screw it up.

EDIT: OK, didn't read the whole article, it's already on VC. * facepalm * I'm not thinking straight. But Earthworm Jim 2 isn't on VC... is it?

Metang

Metang said:

I wouldn't bet on it Cheezy. It's Gameloft. Sure they make good games, but I'll be surprised if they don't butcher this with a bunch of crap (i.e. turn it into "Sexy Earthworm Jim" or something like that... :P)

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

I'm still insterested in this remake even though I already bought it on VC. That screenshot looks like EWJ's cartoon series, which is very good news.

RJay

RJay said:

Why would you buy of a remake of a game already available on VC?????

This is exactly like those "Wiimakes"....they're making a quick buck rather than thinking of an original idea

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Well if it plays better and looks better than the Genesis game, we'd be fools to choose the inferior version. The only people who shouldn't buy this would be those who have the Genesis VC game already or just not interested in Earthworm Jim. Assuming the remake is better than the original.

Grim_Heaper94

Grim_Heaper94 said:

This was going to be the GROOVIEST sequel ever :(.......but now it'll (hopefully) be the grooviest remake ever :)

vherub

vherub said:

I don't see why a remake is a negative. The recent remake of monkey island is one of many examples showing a remake can enhance a good game into something even better.

Draygone

Draygone said:

The recent remake of Monkey Island, the original isn't already on Virtual Console. This is rather pointless, because it's, in a way, competing with itself. And that's why I expected a new game.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

@vherub
Yeah but this is Gameloft remember? The company that made the US cellphone gaming market suck, and then they decided to take their crap to WiiWare to ruin it with more shovelware too?

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Well, I'll hold out on the VC version... for now, until this comes out and we know for sure if it's any good.

RJay

RJay said:

Remakes are bad because they are taking away resources that could be used to make an original game. Instead of making a remake of a game that's already on VC, Gameloft could have been making new ideas for a sequel.

odd69

odd69 said:

Why would you re-make an already great game? But i suppose with today's tech plus wiiware and all, i can see why they would want to re-make this game. If only you guys knew how many weekends in a row this game has saved my life.So this is yet another day one buy for me..So many good games so little money...

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

"This remake has a one month exclusivity to Xbox Live Arcade and will appear elsewhere after"

But I don't want to suffer with the horrible Xbox controllers. My Classic Controller (or Mega Drive controller) wants some action.

Omega

Omega said:

Cave Story is also just a remake. And despite this fact it's considered one of the best WiiWare games to be released soon. I do not know why all Gameloft games are dismissed as crap in advance. Maybe I'm not enough into handy games, PDAs and IPods to judge this.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I think a lot of people are here still have puke in their mouths from Sexy Poker.

Terra

Terra said:

I've never played an Earthworm Jim game myself, so maybe I'll consider this. I don't think Gameloft are bad, sure they've had a few duds and are primarily a mobile phone game dev but they have done some good games on WiiWare and seeing that this is just a remake, I don't see how badly it can go.

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

I have the Genesis version but, if it has more content such as levels, weapons, and enemies I may buy it.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

I am not anti remakes of retro classics at all. If Hudson Soft were to release their updated GameCube Bonk’s Adventure on WiWare, I would buy it, even though I have the original PC Engine game on Virtual Console.
In the same way, I will buy Gameloft’s Earthworm Jim, too. Who knows it may include smoother control responses, as well as the swanky new facelift.