Professor Layton Unravels Another Mystery

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Professor Layton is back and this time with 150 new puzzles to solve.

Nintendo's Professor Layton & the Diabolical Box hits North American store shelves today and promises to be everything the original release was and more. You'll even be able to unlock hidden content in the original release by using this sequel.

You can check out the official Nintendo press release for the game below for a bit more information on the game and what you can expect from it.

The dog days of summer are a great time to relax with a gripping mystery. Better yet, why not help solve one? Today’s launch of Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box™ for the Nintendo DS™ and Nintendo DSi™ systems presents players with more than 150 new brain-teasing riddles and puzzles to solve as they help Professor Layton and his apprentice, Luke, uncover the mystery surrounding the Elysian Box, which is said to be deadly to all who open it.

Following in the footprints of the previous title in the series, Professor Layton and the Curious Village™, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box includes even more exciting puzzles, voice acting and animated scenes for players to enjoy as they make their way through a maze of clues and intrigue.

Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box draws players in with its compelling storyline and animation, but that’s just the beginning,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “The captivating and challenging riddles keep players saying ‘I need to try just one more puzzle.’ ”

Players who connect their Nintendo DS systems to a broadband Internet connection will also have access to free bonus puzzles following today’s launch. Be sure to check back regularly to see what new brainteasers Professor Layton has cooked up. These bonus puzzles extend the play time of the game with content not found in the packaged version. Even players who finish the main game will be able to keep challenging themselves with new surprises.

For more information about Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, visit www.ProfessorLaytonDS.com.

We'll have a full review of Professor Layton & the Diabolical Box soon, so keep an eye out for it.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Is it really available today? I guess Nintendo is often good about avoiding the "ship date" delay, but not always (see: Punch-Out!!). I don't want to just head to Gamestop only to find my game isn't there!

@DiggerandIndy: Now, be fair! It's only been a year and a half! (Feb 2008, Aug 2009) Still way too long for a game that was already out in Japan when we got the first, though. :P

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

So I heard the first Prof Layton didn't do as well in the US as in Europe?

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@KDR_11k: I never heard that. I know it took a while to catch on in NA, but it because quite difficult to find a copy after a while! Not that this mattered to me, since I got it at release, but we did have quite a few customers trying to find it in vain.

Pastry

Pastry said:

@DiggerandIndy, no more firsts. :(

Anyways, I have been waiting a long time for this. I'll get it soon.

Edit: Why haven't you announced that Metroid Prime Trilogy came out.

Objection

Objection said:

@Corbie--Lol, very nice. (Especially since it's already up.) I enjoyed the first Layton, nonsensical dialouge going to puzzles somehow or not. I'll probably pick this up as soon as I can.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Yeah, this game is only about a year and a half late.
While the Japanese are looking forward to their fourth game, we're finally getting our second. Yey us!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I just called Gamestop. It is NOT available on the East Coast today! We have to wait until tomorrow. :(

Objection

Objection said:

@Stuffgamer1- That's because GS GETS the games on release date (its their shipped date) and sells them the day after. This is true for almost every game they sell.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Objection_Blaster: I work at Gamestop and can vouch that your statement is 100% WRONG (just like I said on the Prime Trilogy release board)! Ship date is the date the game is shipped from the warehouse on the west coast. You have to add a day for it to get to stores on the east coast, unfortunately. Like Corbie said that Prime Trilogy is available in Texas NOW, but it's not available in Maryland yet. :(

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Does that one day delay apply to Mississippi? Not that it matters anyway because I'm getting it later this week, and claiming my extra 10 coins on Club Nintendo :)

James

James said:

I say my dear boy, this news story reminds me of a rather devilish puzzle!

The next time Layton says that, I swear I'm going to knock his hat right off his cartoon head. Somehow.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I have been holding out for this only to be thwarted an accidental dropping of a laptop (thanks honey, love ya). So I won't be buying as many games for a while.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

This got a 92% from the latest ONM. Basically its as good as the first game. Therefore reinforced insta-buy.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

It's only taken two years to get this to the states, but at least it finally made it. I think a two year gap was about right though considering how it's basically the same game as Curious Village just with a new story. Even so, I'm incredibly excited to see what cool new puzzles this game has in store for me this time around. I also love the downloadable weekly puzzles and I look forward to seeing what the Hidden Secret from the first game is once I find the code in Diabolical Box to unlock it.

Anyone else hope the in-puzzles music is different this time around? I don't think I can take that music box melody from the original any more. ^_~