Nintendo Download: Kindred Spirits, Rock N' Roll, Star Wars and Different Art (US)

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Well, that didn't take long - Super Star Wars is available today, among other games!

We only just reported on the ESRB rating a classic Star Wars SNES game less than an hour ago, but it turns out the rating isn't going to be sitting there without the game actually being out for multiple months - Super Star Wars is available today! It's accompanied by the long-awaited North American releases of NyxQuest and the mysterious Rock 'N Roll Climber. Oh, and another bitesize package of a full DS game for DSiWare.

NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits doesn't really need an introduction by this point - It's that great-looking WiiWare platformer/puzzler in which you simultaneously move around with the control stick and perform special feats with the Wii remote's pointer. We personally think any comparisons with LostWinds are well-observed - The games are quite alike. But that doesn't mean NyxQuest is automatically bad, in fact, we gave it a 9 out of 10! Get your 1000 Wii Points ready, it's one of the best WiiWare games yet! Aside from the review, maybe you want to read the interview as well before the game is released.

Rock 'N Roll Climber is a very mysterious games. Nintendo announced it many, many months ago, but never really released any information on it. A month or so later, a leaked gameplay video from a special press conference surfaced, but since then everything has been completely silent. As you can imagine, it's a rock-climbing game, but other than that, we don't know much! It'll cost you 800 Wii Points. We'll reveal what the game is like in our review, which should be up within the next few days.

It seems like today's planned LucasArts announcement will be about Virtual Console - Super Star Wars is available today, so the timing couldn't be better. This awesome SNES game puts you in the shoes of Luke, Han, and Chewbacca, as you make your way through various locations you'll recognize from the first Star Wars film. Although it's a game based on a movie license, LucasArts obviously owns the Star Wars rights, and they're the publisher for the game on VC - So it'll only cost you the standard SNES price of 800 Wii Points. We wonder which of LucasArts' many games will be next to hit VC - Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures, perhaps? We'll have a review of the game up soon.

DSiWare gets more art this week, although it's not a new Art Style game this time. It's Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters, which seems to include the more arty games from the Brain Age games, along with some new content. Strangely, this means Nintendo has skipped the Brain Age Sudoku package which Europe recently got, but oh well, variety is the spice of life! We'll review this package soon. It'll run you 800 DSi Points.

A lot of surprises this week! Here's the full press release, which actually isn't available on Nintendo's press site yet:

Aug. 10, 2009

Nintendo Download

Big Names and Brilliant Games Make for a Must-See Downloadable Lineup

There’s one word to describe the latest downloadable game offerings from Nintendo: phenomenal. For starters, Wii™ owners can dive into a space adventure for the ages as the Super NES™ classicSuper Star Wars™ makes its Virtual Console™ debut. WiiWare™ devotees have two extraordinary new titles to choose from, including the high-flying NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits and the super-chargedRock N’ Roll Climber™. And don’t miss this week’s Nintendo DSiWare™ Brain Age™ title, which will help keep your mind buzzing wherever you go.

WiiWare

NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
Publisher: Over The Top Games
Players: 1-2
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Fantasy Violence
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: Experience the awesome story of Nyx, an enigmatic winged girl who must descend from heaven in search of her missing friend, Icarus. Fly over the ruins of ancient Greece and avoid falling into blazing sands or perishing in the claws of cruel harpies and hydras. You will need the help of Zeus and other benevolent gods from Olympus to summon their powers. They will let you cast rays, modify the scenery and control winds as you wish. By making your own wrist movements and pointing to the game screen, you will be able to achieve these and many other feats. Fly, aim and shoot using your Wii Remote™ controller. Play with a friend and maximize your abilities: While one controls Nyx, the other will control the powers from the gods.

Rock N’ Roll Climber
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Prepare to “rock out” like never before in Rock N’ Roll Climber. Climb rocks using the innovative control scheme, which has you controlling your character’s movement using the Wii Remote and Nunchuk™ controllers. If you want an even more immersive experience, optional support for the Wii Balance Board™ is also available. Make your way up an array of courses, ranging from the Pop level’s indoor rock wall to the Heavy Metal level’s waterfalls (watch out for those moss-covered rocks – they’re slick). In addition to the sense of accomplishment you’ll feel upon reaching the top, you might just be rewarded with your own guitar.

Virtual Console

Super Star Wars
Original platform: Super NES
Publisher: LucasArts
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Fantasy Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Risk your life as a Jedi Knight. Join Luke, Han and Chewbacca in their fierce war against the Evil Empire. Battle treacherous aliens. Pilot two vehicles in high-speed, first-person 3-D sequences. Rip through the desert in Luke's landspeeder. Clash with aliens in the Mos Eisley Cantina. Blast menacing boss monsters and Imperial stormtroopers. Attack TIE fighters in the trenches of the Death Star. Fight your way through the wastelands of Tatooine to the hostile streets of Mos Eisley and beyond. Grab your blaster, strap on your lightsaber and take on the fight for galactic freedom.

Nintendo DSiWare

Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) – Mild Language
Price: 800 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: This edition of the popular Brain Age series offers players a mix of new and familiar exercises, all with an artistic focus. Test your spelling in Word Attack, enjoy literary classics in Reading Aloud and tune your musical skills in Piano Player. A new Themes mode challenges you in drawing, photography and voice acting and lets you share your creativity with friends and family. And if you need a break, the always-enjoyable Virus Buster makes its return. Prepare for another round of training your brain in minutes a day.

Related Games

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Good week for America. I am quite surprised Super Star Wars was released so soon after we found out about it being rated. I hope this comes here this week too or sometime soon.

JayArr

JayArr said:

Hello Lucas Arts!!
Too bad it's going to take forever to get all their greats on VC.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

"A New Hope" for the VC has come, and the force is strong with it.

Hopefully NyxQuest won't get overshadowed by this monumental release.

Kevin

Kevin said:

Hopefully this means we're gonna see Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the VC after all. Hopefully Final Fantasy comes out next week. Good week for the VC.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

What a great update! One step at a time with Super Star Wars. And it's nice to see a new Brain Age title. Looks pretty promising! Anyone else getting Rock 'N Roll Climber today?

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Great update and this is 2 solid weeks for the Virtual Console! Wii Ware and Dsi ware(I'm glad they skipped Sudoku) also have some solid titles. I am looking foward to see what the Rock and Climber game is about.

Machu

Machu said:

Super Star Wars and Icarian NyxQuest! Cool!

No complaints this week surely.

Link79

Link79 said:

The force is strong with the VC this week! This will be a day long remembered. Impressive... Most impressive.

Metang

Metang said:

I am literally bouncing off the walls right now.

Welcome to the VC bandwagon LucasArts! With this and Shinobi in EU's last update, this means more hope for Rare games (Banjo Kazooie and DK64) and EarthBound!

Also, we finally got NyxQuest!

Cue SSB/SMK complainers... now.

KDR_11k

KDR_11k said:

I am literally bouncing off the walls right now.

You MUST post that on Youtube!

Don

Don said:

WOW! Super Star Wars was COMPLETELY unexpected! That more than makes up for the poor VC releases of the last two months since we can anticipate more treats from LucasArts like Rogue Squadron for N64.

Aenaida

Aenaida said:

I don't think I'd go that far...

This update certainly was a surprise, though. The only Star Wars games I've played are the Clone Wars GC title and Episode I Racer (which I'm quite terrible at. :P) I may pick this up in the future.

@TwilightV Where did you read that article? Edit: Nevermind I just read the press release. Awesome. :D

rustythekid

rustythekid said:

SUPER STAR WAAAAAAAAARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and Kindred Spirits! Great week, Finally, I can say Nintendo is treating us goooooood. I guess I'll buy 2,000 points today. Dammit! I bought yesterday Skate It....

Metang

Metang said:

@Aenaida: Well, Super Star Wars doesn't mean anything regarding games in licensing hell, but EU got freaking Shinobi in their last update. That has to mean something.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

The Nyxquest or Icarian, whatever it's called looks good, but I hate Star Wars, so nothing for me this week. And when I say I hate Star Wars I'm talking about both the movies and the games. I just never got into Star Wars. I just wish they would release SSB already!

Nintendo64Dude

Nintendo64Dude said:

FINALLY! A Game based on a movie, etc.!
TMNT IV or Mickey's Magical Quest or Ducktales should be next!

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I bought Super Star Wars for my SNES, loved it, but then sold it in anticipation of N64 and Shadows of the Empire..... oooh, what a mistake I made. Now I get to right that wrong. Very, very surprising.
(It's worth the 800 points just to hear that patented Jawa-yell... "Skee-geee!")

Knux

Knux said:

WOAH, Super Star Wars is on the Virtual Console!? This update is awesome! It is wondeful news to hear that Lucasarts is finally supporting the Virtual Console. Come on Lucasarts, I want to see Rouge Squadron on the VC! NyxQuest looks awesome, but everything else looks iffy.

irken004

irken004 said:

Super Star Wars is a surprise, I'll wait for the review to see if it's worth the download.

SSBFan_12

SSBFan_12 said:

Awesome week! Super Star Wars, nyxquest, and brain age are instan buys! As for Rock N' Roll Climber not really.

SSBFan_12

SSBFan_12 said:

What a second is rock and roll climber that one game that nintendo showed off a Iwata's Keynite at GDC in March?

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Super Star Wars is finally on the Virtual Console. A solid license game is on the Virtual Console.

At long last, MY BEGGING HAS BEEN FUFILLED! THANK YOU LUCASARTS!

Of course this is one of the easier licensed titles to get on the Virtual Console. Looks like the Virtual Console is in a revival, so we better support this title.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

For everyone hoping to see more movie tie-in titles, keep in mind that LucasArts is in a unique position. Since they are part of the same company that holds the Star Wars rights, they have a perpetual license to use the IP. So unless George wants a game buried, they're free to bring it back to life.

Personally, I'm waiting for the special edition with new graphics and updated story line. The new feature where you can't fire until the bad guys do should really liven it up! :P

DreamWatcher

DreamWatcher said:

Awesome. Nyxquest, by Wednesday you'll be having my cuz and I yelling at who did what to anger Zeus. :3 Oh yes, much fun and chaos to be had.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Super Star Wars? I don't think anyone saw that one coming. It's dated and cheap as hell at times but an instant download for me.

worrybomb

worrybomb said:

I am a little shocked Super Star Wars was announced and released all in the same day. Since I never played the Super NES versions, I'll wait for a review just in case. Although I'm pretty sure a lot of people have some praise for this game.

Definitely a good week for the Nintendo Download.

Vendetta

Vendetta said:

Well, this should shut a few people up for a while about a week.

Is it noon yet?

MoFaJo

MoFaJo said:

does anyone else besides me think that it is ironic that nintendopower just happened to do a "play back" review on super star wars right before it came out on vc?

JTC-Pingas

JTC-Pingas said:

Very nice update I have to say. I never expected Super Star Wars to make it to the VC.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

WOW! Either Nintendo actually listened to me or this sudden shower of goodness is pure coincidence. Meh, if I know Nintendo, it's probably the latter.......Anyway, Best update in a long time. I think i'll get everything except the Star Wars game(sorry LucasArts, just not into star wars). The only title I'm extremely torn about is rock and roll climber. If it was from any company other than Nintendo, I would instantly brand it as shovel ware. Anyone who gets this needs to post impressions ASAP! Thankyou Nintendo for such a stellar update!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Atlantis1982: Don't worry; I'm downloading both! :D
@P. D4NG3R: Believe it! :D

This is the first VC week in MONTHS that I've been genuinely surprised and excited by. Way to go, Nintendo and LucasArts! Keep up the awesome work! :D

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

My updated VC predictions for the next few weeks
8/17- Super Empire Strikes Back
8/24- Super Return of the Jedi
8/31- Revenge of Shinobi, Shangai 2, or Impossible Mission(I can't decide)
9/7- Super Smash Bros.

CuzinMike

CuzinMike said:

I loved the Super Trilogy games growing up. Super Empire was my favorite b/c you had to fight Vader so many times. I can't wait for the others to be released! Hopefully LucasArts will also soon release Maniac Mansion as well!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Well its the SNES Star Wars trilogy first. Zombies could still be some time off.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Super Star Wars and NyxQuest!!! This is an amazing update!!! For those of you who have never played Super Star Wars before, just do yourself a favor and download it immediately! It really is one of the best games available on the SNES!:)

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

I remember playing Super Star Wars for hours when I was a little kid. Might have to download this....

Nero

Nero said:

Wow, Super Star Wars. I have that game on SNES and every time I sit down and play it I finish it. Possibly one of the game I've finished the most times.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

Well that really blows for people who don't give a crap about Star Wars. So in other words if you don't like Star Wars, this week and the next 2 will suck.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Best update in AGES. LucasArts, rock on. Hopefully we'll see their N64 games in the future! :D

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I am looking forward to purchasing Super Star Wars tonight. I loved (and finished) all the Super Star Wars series. Can't wait to see the rest of them.

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

Although I said it in the ESRB ratings one, I'll say it here too.

You are lucky to get this. I really hope you enjoy this as much as I have when I first had it :D.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

What a nice update! And just when I'm totally out of money :(.
Anyway, NyxQuest is finally here which was good enogh, but Super Star Wars is like WOW!, I'm getting it for sure, I can't wait for Super Return of the Jedi, my favorite :). If we support LucasArts, very good games could come in the future (Shadows of the Empire would be nice ;)).

jangonov

jangonov said:

Sad thing is, I just bought super star wars, and the other two star wars games for snes. Now it is time to sell them on ebay and get them on virtual console

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Very good update for the NA-ites.

Nyxquest is pretty much a must download for you guys. Brilliant, and generally highly rated game. Get it.

Super Star Wars is oe of my top 20 favourite pre-Wii, DS era games. I need it bad. Please come to EU soon. Please. Its one of the few VC games that has been unreleased that I an desperate for.

Rock n Roll climber? Has this been actually produced by Ninty themselves. I'd be interested see what this game actually entails!

Brain Training Arts and Literature I'll probably get to complete my set.

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Wow, good thing i just added a bunch of points! I was already going to grab Nyx, but SSW is pretty much an insta-download (despite already having the game in other forms). SSW bodes well for future VC releases, even if we just consider other SW games from LucasArts.

Oh, and i too will add in support for Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Awesome, hugely underrated/overlooked game.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Well, it's interesting and a surprise and everything that Super Star Wars was released... But I don't get this excitement here really, has everyone completely forgot that the game actually is kinda rubbish? Or are people just all hot and bothered about it just cause it's Star Wars or something?

@LEGEND MARIOID
No, as far as I can tell it was made by a Japanese company called Vitei. Before this they've created one Japan exclusive game for the DS called Theta which I know nothing about so I can't say anything about how their track record is.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Great news for those who might find Super Star Wars too hard: All the button codes still work! Note that the title screen debug menu code only works if you've just loaded up the game from power off on the SNES, which equates to not having a suspend save on VC. If you've been playing and want to activate the code later, you have to delete your suspend save first.
I hope this info helps somebody out. I plan to use the stage select option if I run out of lives and continues before beating the game. :)

ballistikboy

ballistikboy said:

The dsiware this week leaves something to be desired... namely... Pop+Solo... but it could have been worse. I actually like the Brain Age series.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Super Star Wars, a game I believe was never seen against, good thing Lucas realize that its awesome and decided to bring this out. Hopefully, Super Empire Strikes Back and Super Return of the Jedi aren't so far behind.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Woohoo! Star Wars games! I've never gotten to play these before, but almost everyone here agrees they're really good, so I'll download Super Star Wars (A New Hope) today. As for Rogue Squadron, I already have the PC version, and it still works fine in Windows XP, so I don't care about the N64 version.

By the way, Han shot first, because the anthology book "Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina" says so.

Tails

Tails said:

Awesome goodness Nintendo your pulling up from the Grave in NA very nice but we are still kinda pushing you for MORE but otherwise i'm very impressed i bought Kindred Spirits and Super Star Wars today as well as Konamis NES CastleVania

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Although I am dissappointed by the lack of Smash Bros for yet another entire month, it's really hard to complain about this update. Not only is it the beginning of the SNES Star Wars releases but it's also a sign of other great Lucasarts classics to come, including Indiana Jones (SNES), Rogue Squadran and even Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Whether you're a fan of this developer or not, this is a really good thing and proof that Virtual Console is not dying, like we thought two weeks ago. ^^'

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Well, I'll be checking out the review on SSW before making a decision, but it's pretty exciting to see some love for the VC. Now if the original Atari Games Star Wars games hits VCA, well, that would be nothing short of a miracle!

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@Djungelurban the game wasn't rubbish, it was a solid game (although a little easy) and it was vastly improved upon by Super Empire. The only one of the three I didn't care for was the last one because of the insane escape from the Death Star level (pause button was my friend) and some unbalanced levels.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Darknyht: EASY? Are you NUTS?!? Sure it's not as hard as the NES Star Wars game, but still...it's pretty darned hard!

@Everybody who's thanked me for the button code tip: You're very welcome! I really wasn't expecting so many people to thank me so quickly, if ever. Glad to be of service! :D

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Hmm, last 3 comments didn't show up... anyways, this is a great surprise! I was expecting Altered Beast Arcade!

MERG

MERG said:

@Sean Aaaron...I agree with you on the Atari comment. I have fond memories of playing Empire Strikes Back on my Atari.

rustythekid

rustythekid said:

@Sean Aaron:
I'm very picky when it comes to plattformers and run n gun games, this on is worth it. It has all the stuff that made great the plattforming genre back in the 90's

rustythekid

rustythekid said:

Oh, and one more thing, don't you guys find it weird that just last week everyone thought the VC was "tuning down"
Nintendo's PR team knows their stuff.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Okay, I am a huge Star Wars fan, so this is GREAT news, seeing as I never had a chance to play Super Star Wars. as a child. Great update for sure, I am on the fence about NyxQuest though.

Ren

Ren said:

all you naysayers need not worry. the SSW series really was fantastic even if the star wars franchise itself was annoying to you these were in fact really great games. This was back in the days before those last three movies ruined everything for everyone, and lucasarts put a lot of time and love into each one (they each get better than the last, too, though a little hard).
Awesome, thats the way to really assure VC fans that the service is alive and well. Don't knock them till you try them, it's not just "Star Wars" fan rantings, these we're really great. Dare I say some of the best Star Wars games made period (I know, the arcade flight original is best, but really not the same at home on a regular TV)

Metang

Metang said:

@Jolted85: Exactly. Maybe they can get Rare classics (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, DK64 etc) and EarthBound on VC. EB's chances of making it are still very slim, because it's caught in a licensing hell regarding the music among other things, and Iwata doesn't want to change anything.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

I wouldn't say NA skipped Sudoku. In fact, I'd say EU skipped Arts!

Math and Arts were Launch Titles in Japan and Sudoku came quite a while later.

Adamant

Adamant said:

@Sean Aaron: Well... Super Star Wars is overall a pretty good game, but it certainly has it's share of flaws. Some levels go on and on and far outlast their welcome, the controls are a bit ropey, there are a number of overly annoying jumps over large bottomless pits (and a lesson in bad level design at the bottom of level 4, where you WILL die the first time you get there), and the different characters aren't very well balanced. Still, probably worth the points. I predict an 8/10.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Like Adamant pointed out, it's not without it's flaws, but overall this is an outstanding game. I played the crap out of it when I was a kid. Even if you absolutely hate star wars, it's still a really fun game.

One question to those that bought it, does it still say JVC at the opening? I know it was originally published by JVC, and then by THQ I believe.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

Zombies ate my neighbors!

And if there was a way for them to put maniac mansion on too, that would be cool. Though i'm still waiting for Night Game, screw cave story.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

HUGE surprise and best Virtual Console news I've seen since Majora's Mask came out! The Force is with us!!!

Kevin

Kevin said:

Yeah, Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Maniac Mansion being released would be awesome! Two of my favorite retro games ever! Hopefully this means we'll see more licensed games now: Ducktales, TMNT 2, etc.

Cocoa_Man5

Cocoa_Man5 said:

the sequel is going to be released this coming monday, followed by the last game in the trilogy will be released the 24th, from what i hear anyway.