Japanese Virtual Console list - September 2009

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Konami and Square Enix offer more support.

It's already the last Friday of the month again, so you know what that means - Nintendo of Japan has revealed next month's Virtual Console plans. As in the last few months, there's not exactly many games (For Japan's standards, at least) but those that are there are all quite nice to see. Too bad we'll probably not get many of them!

As usual, Namco Bandai has chosen not to reveal their arcade games until they're close to release, so there's only one Namco arcade game on the list right now - But there will be more!

Next month's full schedule is as follows:

Super Famicom:

• Taikou Risshiden (September 1st - A historic simulation game by Koei in which you must live through a certain period of Japan's history just like you would in real life, potentially meeting historic figures along the way)
  • Ganbare Goemon 3: Shishijyuurokubei no Karakuri Manji Katame (The third Super Famicom entry in Konami's comical ninja series)
  • Bahamut Lagoon (Another Japan-only Square Enix RPG)

Sega Mega Drive:

• Earthworm Jim 2 (September 1st - Strangely, despite never originally being released in Japan, it seems like they're getting it before the rest of the world!)

Virtual Console Arcade:

• Xevious (September 1st - The original arcade version of Namco's vertical shoot 'em up)
  • Rygar (The original sidescrolling arcade game from Tecmo. No overhead sections like in the more well-known NES port here!)

If Namco releases one arcade game each week, that means Japan is looking at a total of 10 VC games this month - Something we can only dream of these days!

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Related Games

said:

10 vc this month, not too bad. Earthworm Jim 2 no way!

Don

Don said:

I thought Final Fantasy V would be on the list considering there had been one released each month since May. Also no Nintendo 64 games, that probably means no N64 for EU in September as well though NA may get Super Smash Bros.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

The lack of Neo Geo and Turbo Grafx support is disappointing. Perhaps when the Namco arcade push ends then more games from other systems will arrive. Being a fan of Xevious it's nice to see the original arcade version arrive, but I already have the NES version which is a good port of the arcade version. I guess Japan will see Super Xevious soon.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

All of these bar the Square-Enix RPG appear to be coming out next week! Rygar, yay! It probably bears repeating that the arcade Xevious can be played on Namco Museum Remix complete with nice bezel artwork.

EDIT: Ooops, got excited because the others had screenshots, but actually that's not the case. Rygar and Goemon will have to wait a bit longer...

Cipher

Cipher said:

Please, please tell me we're getting closer to Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon for N64 on the VC!

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Is that Goemon game the one already on our VC? That picture looks good!

edhe

edhe said:

Bah! I like the look of that Goemon game (Is it as good as the first one).

Of course we'd have to wait for the hanabi festival for it to be released unless Nintendo changes their policy.

Ryuuga

Ryuuga said:

Nice to see more konami support on VC! Hopefully we will see Rocket Knights Adventures soon! =D
Btw, it would be nice if they release the original TMNT arcade as well, it would be awesome!

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

not a bad month for jpn noa really needs to do this for na everymonth but for that noa would have to care about na

Knux

Knux said:

It appears that Nintendo likes to shower the Japanese with good games, but they give us Americans and the Europeans the shaft. :(

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Great! Good for Japan! I'm so happy for them! __________

Seriously though, when is North America going to get some better games. I find it funny how little credit the company gives Americans the way they wave mediocre Star Wars games in front of us as though we aren't aware that everyone else has had Smash Bros. for the better part of the year. I don't want to hear how I'm complaining about a game that is passe either because that's not the point. It's a game that many people want, Nintendo knows it, but they refuse to give it to us. It's just not right! And no, I don't think we'll be getting it Labor day either, so don't try and tell me that, thank you.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

I hate hate hate it when people think Nintendo is "refusing" to give us popular games. Thats so outlandish.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I don't think they are intentionally doing it so much as the people making the decisions at Nintendo of America just don't get it.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

@WarioFan63 and Darknyht

It's just NOA trying to be smart with releases, you know, waiting for the "right time" to release those big name titles. The truth of the matter is that it doesn't matter WHEN they release them because they'll be as successful no matter what. So, yeah, that is something they just don't get. Frankly, though, I'm tired of the BS and just wish they would stop "holding on" to their first party titles.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I wish we'd get some Goemon games on import...though they proably wouldn't be translated, which would suck. There's still one more Super Famicom game to go before the N64, I think. No telling how long THAT could take. And even once they do get to N64, it'll be a wait to get to Goemon's Great Adventure, after however many other 64 titles there are (including the 3D one that was released here). :(

While Bahamut Lagoon certainly won't come to our VC, I believe there's a fan translation out there somewhere. Never tried it myself, but I've seen people online talking about it. I think it came up in discussion of the Mother 3 translation, though I don't remember why.

I'm sick of the lack of Smash, too. Nintendo knows we want it, but doesn't release it anyway. Sounds like refusal to me!

cyrus_zuo

cyrus_zuo said:

You know I'd buy the Arcade Rygar game...but I'd be ecstatic about the NES Rygar game coming to the VC in America. One of my personal all-time favorites. I wish I didn't feel so hopeless about NOA and the VC. I just feel a sick sense of desperation whenever I put NOA and VC in the same sentence.

vherub

vherub said:

I didn't even know there were goemon 2-4 on the snes, I loved mystical ninja, I wonder if there is a translation somewhere...

Devastator

Devastator said:

I am excited about this websites article about how Earthworm Jim will get some updated graphics or remade somehow.

MrLopez

MrLopez said:

You don't need to watch the cartoon to like EWJ. The game was first, the cartoon has almost nothing to do with the games...

Oh and Ganbare Goemon 3 is cool except it's hard to play because a lot of text is in japanese... Also I don't really like that the newer goemon games are more futuristic with robots and stuff... I really loved Mystical Ninja (SNES) because I could explore the old Japanese Folklore and Culture!

double_sunday

double_sunday said:

japan gets all the good game before us like for example we get only 1 virtual console game while japan gets 4 north america has 313 games and europe has 306 and 286 in austraila japan is at there 484 games

moroboshi

moroboshi said:

I love the Goemon games, but good as 3 is I rate 4 as the best of the series. They'll never come to the US or EU virtual consoles though due to the amount of kanji in them. Shame, as they're real gems.

KeroKero_Cola

KeroKero_Cola said:

I so totally forgot about Super Smash Bros. until someone had mentioned it. I can't believe we don't have it here yet.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

For once, I'm actually not jealous over Japan's releases although I do find EW Jim 2's release rather odd.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

I really want those Goemon games released on the American Virtual Console in English so I can play them too.