Corruption Saves Incompatible with Metroid Trilogy

Posted by Jamie Giggs

Sorry guys - your old Metroid Prime 3 save files won't work

Developer Retro Studios confirmed that save files from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption will remain incompatible with the forthcoming space bounty hunter epic Metroid Prime Trilogy.

The studio had this to say:

Due to the way the game data is allocated for production and the changes that we made in the source code, we were unfortunately unable to carry over the save file compatibility from MP3 to Trilogy.

It might seem like terrible news, but Corruption is one of the highest rated games on the Wii so you shouldn't really be bothered about playing through it again.

However, a surprisingly large portion of Wii owners asked whether Trilogy allowed save data from Corruption to be carried onto the new disc, and have anxiously been awaiting the answer. They won't be pleased.

Looks like you'll have to play through one of the Wii's greatest titles again to fully complete Trilogy. Such a shame.

[via uk.wii.ign.com]

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

I'm a newcomer to the series, so it doesn't matter to me. And lol at that last line, Giggsy.

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

Well good I never played any of them (except the first, in multiplayer at my cousins house) It'll be one of my first titles when I get a wii again

pixelman

pixelman said:

@Odnetnin: Yeah, I hate those too. I don't do it that way, I sneak in the word "first" in a legitimate comment/question, and I never bold or capitalize it. Most people never even notice it.

pixelman

pixelman said:

Just a question - Throughout the first half of MP3 the locales were more or less a tannish/reddish color. I got sick of that fast - is there a bit more variety in MP1 (I've seen Talon and the snowy place), and does MP3 shake things up a bit later on?

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I guessed this would be the answer and it doesn't bother me anymore (though it did before). I'd be replaying no.1 anyway (with wii controls). 3 was brilliant, I'd love to play it again....

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

I completed Corruption so I'm not too bothered, it would of been nice but I'll be starting again from scratch anyway..

Medri_Fogmatio

Medri_Fogmatio said:

It's not the point now.

It's much like the Zelda Collectors Edition and the Master Quest discs.

OoT couldn't have the same save data.

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

I've played all these games before, and I was just looking forward to playing 'em again. I don't see why this is "bad news."

Knux

Knux said:

I'm not surprised by this. I can't believe people were actually asking this.

SeniorDingDong

SeniorDingDong said:

@ Pixelman : I know what you mean about MP3. Bryyo is visually horribly boring, aswell as most of the land in MP2...

But keep playing: every planet beyond the frist looks great and also changes the "primary" colour.

MP1 does a nice job by giving every setor its own colour and look. You will see green rainforrest like regions, a blue and icy one, yellow-brownish ruins, red lava caves, industrial areas, an underwater section and much more.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

Well bugger... scratch that for an immediate purchase then, maybe down the line...

AVahne

AVahne said:

meh it doesn't matter to me anymore anyway,i accidentally deleted my save file

Machu

Machu said:

It is a real shame that I am forced to play through Corruption again, what a chore! :P

might as well delete my save now as i hocked corruption a few weeks back

koopa85

koopa85 said:

I just wanted to tell everybody that if you haven't played MP1 yet, then you need to get the trilogy for that game alone. It has the best variety and the environments are gorgeous. The next two sequels were pretty bland in the visual category.

Outrunner

Outrunner said:

Are these 3 games all on one disc? That's what it said in ONM but I assumed they made a mistake.
Oh and talking about visuals (spoiler), I think the Pirate Homeworld was pretty great. The atmosphere and music too.

Lugas

Lugas said:

I don't think this is an issue. If you're XX% of the way through Corruption, you don't have to stop playing just because you got the Trilogy disk.

It's certainly not an issue to people who haven't played any of the Prime series ever.

nintendoduffin

nintendoduffin said:

All games are on one disc, I'm assuming it'll be a dual-layer (9gb) DVD but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just single-layer (4.5gb).

Gamer1030

Gamer1030 said:

I don't mind it. I might play it again, but I'm mainly buying it to play Prime 1 remastered. I still plan on keeping my old disks.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Even though I had a Metroid Prime 3 save about halfway through, I really don't mind this. The main reason being that I was going to play them in chronilogical order, so I was going to start MP3 over anyways. So excited for this to come out by the end of the month.

Ark

Ark said:

It seems to me like this trilogy is meant to be played over anyway, so not having access to Corruption's save data shouldn't be too bad.

Knux

Knux said:

@pixelman-ARE YOU SERIOUS!? If that's the case, I can buy this!! My Wii does not read dual-layer discs, but if this the case, I will buy this!!

pixelman

pixelman said:

Aww crap, it is dual-layered:

IGN wrote:

the games, now featured on a single dual-layered disc

Sorry about that, I was thinking double-sided. My bad. :S

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

How do you tell if your Wii can read dual-layered discs anyway, I mean I already know mine can (Brawl)...but, like did it have to do something with the first Wiis that came out back then?

City_Of_Delusion

City_Of_Delusion said:

Double sided disc? How would that work?

Seriously, there's no way they were going to fit the three Prime games in 4.5 Gb, but they might in 8Gb ish. Hence, dual layered only folks. If your Wii can't read dual layer discs, consider taking up Nintendo's offer of a repair.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

To continue to level 58, flip to side B. XD
I bet Nintendo will start something like double sided discs soon. lol
(and gawd would that be annoying, lol)

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

I wonder what the loading times will be like. They were noticeably slower in 3, but not annoyingly so. I'd take those doors over watching a loading progress bar any day.
I know it's a bargain, but I don't want anything to be inferior to the original versions.

Rum_Rapture

Rum_Rapture said:

Baws. Oh well, I won't hesitate to trade in Corruption and just start my Prime experience anew. I haven't gotten that far into Corruption anyway (a pitiful 11%!).

BL_Donth

BL_Donth said:

Fair enough.

Metroid133

Metroid133 said:

No worry for me! When I had to send my Wii in for repairs last year my Corruption file got erased. Sadly though I never restarted it. Now I have an excuse to play through it. :p

postmanX3

postmanX3 said:

The more and more I think about it, the more I realize, "Hey I already own all three Prime games, plus have completed saves for them! What's the point?"

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

"Whats a dual-layered disk and what does it do and why can't some wiis play them?"
This.

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

Eh, never liked the FPS Metroids. I want another 2D. At least Shadow Complex can keep my fill till' then.

Oh look everyone, proof that I'm still posting in comments ;)

Objection

Objection said:

I was wondering if this would be the case but that's okay. I need to make a second runthrough anyway so if I get Trilogy I'm fine with this.

Cthuloops

Cthuloops said:

This makes quite a bit of sense, and is actually good news to me! I'm going to do Let's Plays of all 3 of em, so it doesn't matter to me. :)

Mange

Mange said:

I think it´s pretty lame and very lazy of the devs not to incorporate a "Would you like to copy the data from your old save files to Trilogy". Heck.. it should also be able to copy over data from GameCube save files as well. What´s the problem. Laame.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Couldn't care less about not being able to copy over my save. I'm starting over on Corruption anyway so I can go for a full completion run, so it definitely eliminates the temptation to forego that. ^_~

Pawtrick

Pawtrick said:

Any word on the multiplayer component? I am apparently one of the rare people that really enjoyed Prime 2 multiplayer...

postmanX3

postmanX3 said:

@ Pawtrick:

I'm pretty sure it's already confirmed it'll just have the old local-only multiplayer component in Prime 2. And that's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

@ pawtrick:
I'm under the impression that they're bringing the original MP2 deathmatch mode. That's the biggest reason I'm looking forward to "Trilogy". MP2 deathmatch with MP3 controls! Yay!

Pawtrick

Pawtrick said:

It still says on Nintendo.com that the amount of players are "yet to be determined" shouldn't we know for sure by now...

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

I guess this isn't too bad. I'm still going to beat someone up to show I'm not a loyalist though.