Worms Coming to WiiWare and Possibly DSiWare

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Now here's some good news for all you Worms fans!

According to a SPOnG interview with Team 17, Worms will be headed to WiiWare, and possibly even DSiWare in the near future. The games have appeared on every major current generation platform at one time or another, but it's nice to hear news of the series making an appearance on Nintendo's WiiWare service. And the possibility of a DSiWare release makes it even better news.

Below is a quote from Martyn Brown, Creative Director at Team 17 from the SPOnG interview...

There's a bunch of things coming out: there's a new Worms for Wii, and PSP and probably Dsi coming down the line as well. All digital. And some other new stuff, off in the distance, which we can't discuss... so... well, it's all non-Worms stuff as well.

Looks like the Worms franchise will finally be coming to the WiiWare and DSiWare services in the future and that's music to our ears. We'll keep you posted on any future Worms developments as they become available.

[via spong.com]

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Finally! I've wanted to try a 2D Worms game ever since I played that trainwreck Forts: Open Seige. Looks like I won't need to track down the PSP games after all!

I just hope it has online Multiplayer. Can't have a Worms game without online.

jbrodack

jbrodack said:

worms games are great but the wii retail worms game seems to have not been good. hopefully this is much better for worms fans

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Ha! This is great news! I haven't owned a Worms game since Mayhem on Xbox (that was my favourite Worms game of all time...until my Xbox stopped being able to play games...and you wonder why I'm a NintendoPurist :| )

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I've never picked one of these up, but I've seen the DSi cart and it looked interesting. I'll definitely check out a WiiWare version; bonus would be if it has online -- it's turn-based so that's a big plus for me!

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

oops, i knew i shoulda done more than skim read. :-D Hope the Wiiware version is online. Likely will be but if not, I hope it has one heck of a local party mode!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I have Worms Open Warfare 2 DS and I would highly recommend it to anyone with even a passing interest in strategy games. It comes pretty much highly rated across the board (I think it got a 9 on here?).

Anyway I'll probably download the ware versions of the game. One thing, on-line is an absolute essential for this game

calculon

calculon said:

I've been a big fan of Warms since the beginning (sounded a little disturbing when I read that back to myself - oh well) so this should be an instant purchase if the game play is anything like Open Warfare 2.

One little request: please add online play for WiiWare at least!

I'm intrigued with the news of non-Worms based entertainment too.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Indeed, Open Warfare 2 was the best Worms game in recent years.
I would happily pay for a straight port to the big screen, but some new team customization would be nice too. (they can't really add any more kinds of weapons or stages)
but yes, online is a must.
and they better include the 'Wide Boy' voice set for my team.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

:P Wonder how people, that are boycotting WiiWare in the name of the VC, will react to this. This is a very good thing.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Please please please please please please please please please for the love of all that is holy (and all that is not) including online multiplayer. It's turnbased, so lag won't be an issue. I will buy this in a heartbeat with online multiplayer.

Otherwise...I'm sticking with Worms 3D.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Really looking forward to this! You would think that Team 17 realise online is needed after the retail release. I would pay a good price for this.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

2d worms games are epic and fun if this does come it and its classic gameplay it will be a day one buy, i hope that all the classic weapons come back

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Ah HECKS yeah! I friggin' love Worms! As long as the WiiWare one has online play I don't see a reason not to buy this

dgold

dgold said:

I agree with the prevailing sentiment: hopefully this is 2D Worms with online multiplayer. I hope it has a lot of funny special weapons, like sheep, and some motion sensing controls.

darkshaddow42

darkshaddow42 said:

Just thinking about buying Open Warfare 2 when I saw this. Seems like a perfect fit for DSiWare, the kind of title I want to always have around with me (that and maybe sudoku), it's always a good multiplayer game since you only need one system.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Now this is great news to hear. I loved Worms Ammergandon and I hope the Nintendo 64 version comes to the Virtual Console too! Of course it probably won't for some stupid reasons.

Popyman

Popyman said:

Yes!! About damn time! Now, it better not be space related at all, and have the Ninja Rope!

JoeDiddley

JoeDiddley said:

I was tempted by cheap 2nd hand copies of Open Warfare 2 recently. Now I will wait to see if the new versions are online. If they are I will be getting the wiiware and dsiware versions!