Tales of Monkey Island Coming to WiiWare on Monday

Posted by Corbie Dillard

The premier episode is almost upon us.

Good news for fans of the Tales of Monkey Island titles, the first episode, "Launch of the Screaming Narwhals", is set to hit the North American WiiWare service on Monday, July 27th at a cost 1000 Wii Points.

We've also been informed that information regarding a European release should be coming soon as well.

We'll have more information on Tales of Monkey Island as it becomes available, as well as a full review of this premier episode shortly after it hits the WiiWare service on Monday. And don't forget to check out our interview with Telltale Games if you might have missed it the first time.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Anybody know for sure if this is actually set after Escape From Monkey Island? I guess it would be, but I haven't heard for sure.

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

Will there be a german translation for the European Release? And other languages as well? A Voice Dub would be great, too!

paulcmnt

paulcmnt said:

@RGVEDA I doubt it. I'm actually surprised they managed to squeeze all the dialog to fit the 40 MB limit. Especially when you consider that the game has some of the best graphics for WiiWare available at the moment.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Oh yeah baby! I've been waiting for this since... since... the last Monkey Island game!!!

Aardvark_Soup

Aardvark_Soup said:

Wow, I just checked and the setup file for the PC version and it's 188 MB. I'm curious what kind of magic compression techniques they use there.

RGVEDA

RGVEDA said:

@ diego

I hope a later PC Release will have german screentext and voice dub. I will then buy it for the PC :)

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

If I decide to buy this game, I'll probably go for the Steam version... if all parts cost 1000 points, it's 50€ compared to the 33€ on Steam. Besides, Aardvark Soup put forth a great question, since I doubt the DRM stuff can account for the size difference alone.

Objection

Objection said:

Yup, I'll likely be passing on each episode. 1000 pts is just too high an asking point for a few hours of an episodic series. I think that sales of Strongbad and this would be much higher if they'd had a lower per-episode price point.

Knux

Knux said:

I will buy this when I have the money. I have never played the Monkey Island series before, so I'm curious about this game.

Popyman

Popyman said:

Yay! I'm gonna get points now! TellTale games are the only WiiWare games I buy before the review =P

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Hm...I was eagerly awaiting this release...yet now that it is nigh, I am not sure if I am going to buy it. It's a shame that I will be paying 50 bucks after all is said an done, i'd rather get a physical copy once they are all released.

Pastry

Pastry said:

I'll get this eventually, I'm not even done playing the third Strong Bad yet. :(

John3714

John3714 said:

Good WiiWare Monday. Of course, it's the week I go back to work, so I won't have much time to play. Definitely getting Three Muskateers, and maybe this if I have the time.

For those of you complaining about points, start drinking Pepsi. I've been using those codes for 2 weeks, and have gotten over 4000 points from it. Still going strong!

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

If it's like Strong Bad like I'm sure it will be since it's from the same publisher, I will buy every episode!

paulcmnt

paulcmnt said:

@John3714 Are you sure you're not actually spending more on Pepsis then you would be if you were buying only the points? :P I mean, c'mon, how much soda can someone drink before they get sick of it? :D

(Actually I'm sort of secretly jealous that PAL regions didn't also get this Pepsi competition, but I still don't think I'd have bought too many sodas before I realized it would be much more profitable to just buy the damn points.)

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I have been waiting for this game and I will definitely get this Monday! I am one of those people buying Pepsi for the Wii Points and so far I am 8/9. I lost for the first time today; I didn't think it was possible to lose but sadly it happened. I guess I'm not invincible after all!:D

James2t3

James2t3 said:

@golgo

So a new monkey island game isn't worth £7 yet a 18 year old monkey island game with better graphics is?

Been waiting on this version, PC gaming sucks.

Swiket

Swiket said:

Considering that if you plan on buying the full series, it's $15 less if you buy it on PC. And where does an arguement like "PC gaming sucks" come from?

Golgo

Golgo said:

@james st3
that's correct. bear in mind 1000 points buys you 1/5th of a game and £7 buys u a stone-cold genre-defining classic.

JNoodles

JNoodles said:

Seems interesting enough. Might get it with my next batch of points.

In other news...

Who's surprised to see me back?

John3714

John3714 said:

@diego_pmc

You'd be surprised. Especially with starting school again tomorrow, I'm going to be going through a lot of soda. Normally, it's Mountain Dew. Switching to Pepsi wasn't all that difficult. For those of you concerned about my health, I do rotate water in there routinely. But I need my caffeine fix, and I can't stand coffee.

And, I figure I spend $1.00 to $1.50 (depending on where I go), and I get a Pepsi and 200 points.

John3714

John3714 said:

@WolfRamHeart

I hear ya. I thought it was guaranteed, but went 0-2 today. Guess Pepsi tightened it up. I know they ran out of Nintendo Points earlier in the week and had to get more for this contest.

vherub

vherub said:

I would have preferred the art style from curse, and elaine especially I am not that fond of the design.
I'll still get this, but probably once all the eps are out