Pop Creator Bringing New Apps to DSiWare

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Time to make your life more productive and enjoyable!

Nnooo, the creators of Pop and Pop Plus: Solo are in the process of creating a set of apps for the DSiWare service that will attempt to make your life more efficient and productive. Not to mention fun and enjoyable!

myNotebook will mark the first release from the myLifeCollected series and is basically just a notebook that will let you jot down notes and other assorted items. You can even choose to play a quick game of Hangman to pass the time.

Below is a snippet taken from the official myNotebook web site that gives a bit more detail and information on exactly what this app will have to offer.

Take Notes

Just pop open your Nintendo DSi and jot down your thoughts! Make a list and cross it off. Or maybe play some hang-man.

Feature rich

There are also unlockable paper types to further customise each notebook!

3 colours to choose from

Available in Blue, Red or Green myNotebook allows you to take notes wherever you are.

Untitled

We'll have more information on myNotebook as it becomes available, as well as a full review of the application when it hits the DSiWare service.

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

Looks interesting. I may get this, seeing as I have to have a pencil for my current journal. :P

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I don't like the implication that there are three individual downloads separated only by notebook color. Or did I misread something?

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

hmm...sounds interesting. Mabey this will encourage more third parties to make some apps!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Are you sure, Corbie? "3 colour types to buy" and "Available in Blue, Red or Green" sounds like three different downloads to me!

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

Maybe now there's hope that the apps will start to be as good as the iphone's (well maybe not that good. :P) ggooo nnooo! (see what I did there? :)

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm checking with Nic on this one Stuffgamer1 to be sure. We talked about the different colors, but we were talking about several things at once so I'd rather be sure before I say.

Dicesukeinuzuka

Dicesukeinuzuka said:

SonicMaster, yes, I did see what you did there :D I hope there are more cool things coming out in the future, and wasn't Square Enix going to make more DSiware along with Dragon quest wars? I thought I remembered hearing about that.

Knux

Knux said:

I don't believe it, this app might actually be useful! I might actually get this for a good cause (unlike when I bought the Mario apps).

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

I like how the first thing on their to do this is to buy their other games.
We could really, REALLY use some apps like the I phone. (Free too)

What I WISH an app like this could do:
-hold more than 32 pages
-clean up my writing into printed text
-save files, preferably in a common format

with all that, maybe I could use this to take notes in class

Objection

Objection said:

Sorry, but this another app that could nearly be done via Pictochat...(obviously pictochat can't save but you could keep your messages in sleep mode.)

Nnooo said:

Hi Guys thanks again to NintendoLife for the great coverage.

Firstly here are some more details on myNotebook:
1) There are three versions one is red, one is blue and one is green
2) We are restricted to the number of pages due to save size constraints. We are working to get as many pages in as possible with 32 being the current estimate. We hope we can increase this before release.
3) We would like to release each version at 200 points. We cannot give stuff away for free, yet, as Nnooo needs to eat ;)

The reason we have created different versions and colours are as follows:
1) Because we are restricted as to how much you can save we wanted to allow people to be able to download new notebooks should one become full and they not want to clear it.
2) As part of Nintendo's personalisation drive we wanted to offer users the choice of colours to reflect their personality
3) By combining both we are offering you the choice of notebook colour which is the same functionally but different based on your colour preference. You can then make as many notes as you like and clear pages as you wish. Should you want to make more notes than you have space for you can always download on of the others.
4) If we had only offered one versions many users could find themselves restricted by the number of pages. We feel this is the best compromise.

Finally the notebook does not include any games you can however use it, like a normal piece of paper, to play games such as hangman. I just wanted to clear that up!

-Nic

Nnooo said:

Oh I also wanted to say that each version includes 18 different page types so you can further personalise your notebook (e.g. Blue paper with white lines rather than white paper with blue lines).

Who knows what might happen if you have a Pop+ Solo save in there ;)

y2josh

y2josh said:

I thought this was already released down the school supplies aisle at Wal-Mart... :D

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

"With 32 pages and 3 colour types to buy you’ll never run out of pages to write on.
Wait... with 32 pages I'll never run out? ...that doesn't make any sense!

Pastry

Pastry said:

@Nnooo
At only 200 points a book, I'm going to buy every color so I can write stories on the go. Thanks Nnooo!

Nnooo said:

@wanderlustwarrior We'd love to offer those sorts of functions however that would be a more expensive app than myNotebook. If myNotebook proves popular we will definitely be looking at expanding the range!

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

If I didn't have such a myriad of similar ways to do the same thing I'd be all over this as my first "functional" app. Given that this is one of the few things the DSi can't do natively (short of leaving it on and making a chat room then using that to save text....and Nnoooo i'm sorry if I just directed sales away with that :3) it'd be cool to have. I'll be interested to know what else comes out in this vein from you guys!

Include a clock on it, just to rub it in Nintendo's face :D

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

Wow! The first time I've ever talked to a game dev! I'll be sure to remember this moment. :)

y2josh

y2josh said:

Yes, Nnooo, Swerd_Murd is right. Put a clock on there and rub it in Nintendo's face.

SonicMaster

SonicMaster said:

So, nic, do you have a release date for pop plus solo? I don't know if I'm getting it, I'm just curious.

Nnooo said:

We are in submission with Nintendo for Pop+ Solo so no firm release date yet except soon. We will let the guys and girls at NintendoLife know as soon as we know.

We'd like to release all 3 versions of the notebook at once however this also depends on approval and Nintendo's queue of software...

y2josh

y2josh said:

Put a * on both sides of the area you want bolded. EDIT: Looks like you answered your own question SonicMaster

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

I'm glad SOMEONE is trying when it comes to making non-game apps.

This seems to actually have some use compared to say... Oh I dunno, AC Clcok! lol

Getting all 3, just to show my support for Nnooo! That and it's 30 Club Nintendo coins. lol

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Nnooo post #16: Thanks for the detailed and surprisingly logical answer! When I first came to my "three versions" conclusion, I thought it sounded retarded, but I actually agree with your reasons! I think I'll download at least one of these just for that (and it could actually prove useful on occasion)! I sure hope Nintendo lets you release all of these at once, or at least one at a time alongside other releases. If these things take up three weeks of releases all by themselves, I'm gonna be PISSED (at Nintendo, not at you)!

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

hey Nnooo, I got an idea for another app you guys could make that I would gladly purchase since we can't rely on Nintendo for anything nowadays. How about an app for playing videos off SD card? It would be rather useful and is a noticably missing feature on the DSi.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

I am surprised that Nic isn't working on a Twitter app for DSiWare. It's only a matter of time. :-p

Nnooo said:

@Stuffgamer1 Thanks for the kind words man! Let's get the app finished and then see how the release schedule pans out. In some ways one a week for us might be nice. Keeps us in peoples minds ;)

@bboy2970 We'd love to do that unfortunately access to the SD card is restricted so I doubt it would happen. We might take a look and pester Nintendo ;)

@Dazza We'd also love to do this too however access to websites not your own through Nintendo Wifi is also a no-no. We have to host the site etc. It might be possible for us to host a small server which takes the response and pushes it to twitter. Hmm will have to think about that....

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Nnooo: You have to be careful what kind of publicity you get, though. If you're in people's minds because your redundant (however useful) apps are releasing solo, it could cause negative opinions of you to develop among those who don't realize it's not your fault. I definitely agree that the first thing to do is finish your app, but I'm the kind of guy who's always thinking ahead, usually envisioning the worst possible outcome. :P

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I was watching a financial programme the other day. They say by the end of 2010, there will be millions of apps available for the various devices that can have them. However, approximately only 10% will make a profit for their producers (a projection, you understand).

Good on Nnooo for getting useful apps to us.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@Nnooo: That is absolutely rediculous for Nintendo to put so many restrictions on developers. Yes, pester them to no end until they give in! Or at least trick them into giving a confirmation that they themselves are working on such a video app.

y2josh

y2josh said:

I love when developers come and chat it up on here. If I had a DSi I would buy all three to support you guys at Nnooo, but I don't. Hope you all have a bright future.

legochesser

legochesser said:

@Nnooo Great Idea, I'm going to buy it when it's available! But is this app already for i n devlopent and how long do you guys think this is going to take, (and perhaps the most important thing for us: DSiWare freaks) How much bocks is this app. taking. Thanks in advance, you guys are great to give aswers to fans! :D ^^ I shoud make an Super Mario Bros. 3 paper unlockeble, like in Animal Crossing: Wild World! Or some POP themed paper!
But I looked at the site and I saw this: "Tools of the trade", that brought me on an idea: that you can trade unlocked papers with your friend local! And that you can get new, and extra paper backgrounds when you get an badge in Pop + Solo, (you can update it!) And more things to make this more than only make notes, but that you can even (for example) trade and share oyur unlockebles, like the Pokemon slogan: Gotta catch them all!

PS. I can't wait!

Knux

Knux said:

@Nnooo-Sounds good enough to me. What other apps do you guys plan to release for DSiWare in the future? Here is a suggestion: You guys should make a music creator for the DSiWare service, where you can make your own music and save then onto your DSi. THAT would be wonderful! :D

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

FINALLY! I have been waiting for this kind of application for the DSi! I frequently got struck with times when this would prove useful (like finding a DVD title that I find interesting), so this would be as fast a download as possible for me! (At least I now know how to equalize my hypothetical leftover Nintendo Points after I download Mighty Flip Champs!)

Obviously, I was not being sarcastic, though I felt disappointed at first when I discovered that a new appplication was going to be released. (By the way, I plan to start with blue, then follow up with green, if necessary.)

bboy2970-san, I "fab" that SD video idea WAY HIGH! /The World Ends With You reference/ That is ANOTHER application that I so want!

Nnooo said:

@legochesser Wow nice post mate! We do have some unlockables based on Pop+ Solo and the other notebooks planned. Unfortunately due to space constraints we cannot have that many (hence 18 page types).

It is something we want to explore more of in the future.

-Nic

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

@Nic: As a fellow Aussie I'm curious, which branch of Nintendo are you working through to release DSiWare and WiiWare? I'd assume not Nintendo of Australia (as they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery).

Also, any more WiiWare on the way guys? :)

Nnooo said:

We work with Nintendo Europe and America as they handle the development side outside of Japan. It is mostly Nintendo America who call the development shots however.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I hope there is an option to turn the pages by dragging the stylus because it's kinda a cool feature that would make sense in a DS version of something like this.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Ok cool thanks for that, I wouldn't have thought it'd be the Australian branch :). It must be cool especially considering you're the first Australian team to get on to WiiWare and now DSiWare

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Isn't easier to make it save pages to an inserted SD card? Because it's already possible to back DSiBrew games up onto an SD card and to read files from it (see the music player and camera app)

Yamishi

Yamishi said:

@Nnooo - I think it's awesome that you're in here, chatting it up with us.

Let's say that myNotebook sells well enough. Would there be any possibility of updates to it in the future, or, say, a "Premium myNotebook" that would have additional features (more pages, ability to transfer things you've written to friends, convert handwriting to text, maybe even a save-to-SD-card-in-common-file-format option)?

I plan to get all three myNotebooks, and I personally hope for more notebook-style apps in the future. As of reading about myNotebook, I am officially a die-hard Nnooo fan. 8)

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

@Nnooo: Wow, I wasn't expecting a response from a game company, especially such a friendly and detailed one. Thank you! I've been inside SEGA of America HQ before, but all that goes on inside those walls is rape, exploitation and murder of franchises I used to love.

@post 22: I should go patent that and keep you guys for using my idea without me having some sort of profit...

@post16: questions for you:
-Nintendo's personalitisation drive? Sometimes it seems like they're pushing certain things just to make a quick buck (absurdly numerous color choices on the handhelds and Gamecube Orange) or doing the opposite and keeping choices the fans have expressed interest in (cough*Black Wii*cough). Can you say what that is like on the developer side?

• What made you all decide to release this?
  • how are the file size restraints on the DSi?
  • Why is the company named how it is?

Thank you for your responses, Nic, other developers could learn from your helpful nature instead of talking about sales or calling fans "nerds and otaku" or never responding to feedback or not updating pages for 3 years (I think we all know who the first 2 were, but the last 2 were High-Voltage Software)

Nnooo said:

@SanderEvans Access to the SD cards is very restricted mainly because Nintendo do not want us to accidentally include an exploit which hackers can make use of. So unfortunately saving pages out to the SD card is pretty hard. We could make use of the Photo Library but then you would not be able to edit them :(

@Yamishi If there is enough demand we would certainly consider it. myNotebook is us testing the water with something simple, cool and cheap (for your guys). We would love to add more 'Pro' features as you suggest.

@Wanderlustwarrior Don't think you can patent those I'm afraid and we have already many of those ideas already ;)

We decided to release it as a) I was inspired by the iPhone notebook app and b) I hate using the keyboard on the iPhone app to write out shopping lists so I thought the DSi could do better!

In terms of file constraints we have to be mindful of the space the DSi has and also keep the size low if we want to sell at a cheap price.

Nnooo is called Nnooo because that is what I cry when I get excited/frustrated/beaten when playing games in my Scottish accent which my mates find hilarious!

Yamishi

Yamishi said:

@Nnooo As far as Premium myNotebook would go, allow me to use a popular quote: "If you build it, they will come." :P
Seriously, though, I would love additional features in the future, even if it means buying a new set of myNotebooks to access them. As an amatuer-writer coughworkinginretailcough I'll scoop up any chance I get to write, save, and edit on my DSi. It'll sure beat the Hell out of having to carry a notebook and pen everywhere!

I would like to personally thank you, Nic, for making an app for the DSi that is not entirely useless. Keep up the good work!

Edited, because I apparently missed the name earlier.

Thanks!

We do cater for left-handers. Basically you have a page on each screen and by default the first page if on the right screen. As we have no gameplay on the left screen writing on the touch screen with either hand is not really an issue (my partner is left-handed and is cool with the app). To write on the left hand page you press the A, B, X or Y buttons and then rotate your DSi. The app rotates so that the page is now on the touch-screen. So in essence every second page is a left hander ;)

Hope that makes sense!

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

@Nnooo: sure you did... Well, since we're on the same page already, I'll take a job as compensation.

Hate to say it, but as it stands right now, I'd pass on myNotebook. However, I would absolutely buy a Premium myNotebook.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@Nnooo: How do memory constraints only allow 32 pages when apps like Flipnote Studio can save an infinite number of pages, plus animate them, plus have online options, all within the space constraints?

jhuhn

jhuhn said:

myNotebook could be good to take some notes when needed and saved until you want to erase a page. With 32 pages, there's so much room to write and record. OK Nic, you're entitled to a hug for this..... LOL

Yamishi

Yamishi said:

The NintendoLife article says "myNotebook will mark the first release from the myLifeCollected series."

What else might we see in the myLifeCollected series? :D

legochesser

legochesser said:

@Nnooo: Thanks for the response :D, I'm always happy whem developters like you respond on questions of fans! I really like the idea, exactly in the spirit of Nintendo: Personalisize your DSi, and this fits exactly to that! :) But I've an (another xD) idea: add an alarm function to it, like in Outlook, or in Tunderbird, which can give an alert signal when you have to do something, example: "07:50 : Go to school." And when the app is on (even when the DSi is closed) goes the alert on 07:50, when you can open your DSi and see: "Ow, god, I've to go to school now!" Like that. I like to help you expanding the app. with new idea's, so I hope it's useful ^^.

Gr. legochesser

Oh yes, PS. An lil' idea: add the normally QWERTY and AZERTY keyboards, like in Pictochat? That is very handy for poeple who want to write stories with small sized letters. (And for people who write really ugly like me xD)

motang

motang said:

Good, I think it's these types of apps and good priced range that will really take off (similar to the App Store for the iPhone). ;)

geek-master

geek-master said:

@nnooo one more question. i heard that your note's will only be saved in sleep mode then when you exit the app they will be deleted. can you change this? i dont want to waste battery life in my pocket :( it might just put me on the fence.

PowerGlitch

PowerGlitch said:

Even if this is 200 points, I won't buy it. We can do the same thing one the Photo Channel...

Nnooo said:

@bboy2970 I'm not sure how flipnote studio are doing it. Are you 100% you can save as many as you like?

@geek-master the app saves each time you turn a page and not when you put it to sleep. Furthermore we save the whole notebook when you quit or power off too so you don't lose any date when you power off!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@Chicken Brutus.....Sorry man I was at work so I couldn't start gripping about another app coming to the DS :D Ill not start my ranting today though.

@Nnooo...... really cool of you to come on the site with some QandA. Not many developers reach out like that....so you get mega cred from me on that one.

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

@Nnooo Thanks for actually answering everyone questions and stuff. When I think about a company that actually cares about the consumers i think about nnooo :) Keep up the good work! i will be buying this app as well as pop+ solo to support you guys! ;)

SMEXIZELDAMAN

SMEXIZELDAMAN said:

@Nnooo I have a question regarding pop+ solo. Did the game pass like nintendo OKed it and there were no bugs? I can't wait for this game day 1 buy for me you guys are awesome ;)

Nnooo said:

@SUPERZELDAMAN We are still waiting to here. The great guys and girls are Nintendo Europe and America are currently playing Pop+ Solo to destruction. Hopefully it will not break under their mighty testing and we will pass first time. Seeing as almost no one passes Nintendo's test first time we are not holding our breath!

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

@Nnooo: Yeah, I'm totally sure. I had it on my japanese DSi and between all the animations I had saved to the system I would say I had close to 1,000 pages saved. Will Nintendo help you with developement to make the most out of it?

Nnooo said:

@bboy2970 I think with flipnote studio you can only use two colours per page? This reduces the save data size massively. There are options also for flexible save data sizes however for us to use this it would limit a lot of our functionality and increase our testing. We are aiming to sell this for 200 points and as it is our second DSi app we would like to focus on the core features. If the app proves popular we will definitely take all this on board for future versions or a pro one :)

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

ok then sounds good. So with your notebook, you can write with a full palette of colors I take it?

Nnooo said:

Not a full palette just more :P We have tried to keep with the concept of a notebook as much as possible so we have 5 colours, black, red, blue, green and white. 5 colours increases the save data by a factor of 2 to 3 over the flipnote studio I think.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

oh. well FS has 3 colors, black, red, and blue. I guess you can see what they did with it for your self if the August 3rd release date holds true (please god let it be true!).

Teodoro

Teodoro said:

@Nnooo I agree with everyone and everything here (eccept for the twitter and sd card thing) and I would totally buy this. 200pts is a really reasonable price. I heard of Nnooo some where and didn't care but I found this, and 1)seeing it's for DSi 2) its an extremely useful App and I read it which gave me: 3) It is a good company. I will buy at least two notebooks when it comes out. This seems equally as good as an app as Flipnotes studio.You have my support. And it is awsome you acutuall talk to your fans. This is the first time I have seen a developer write to the public. And again, I will totally buy this(I wrote this from my DSi!).

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

@Nnooo: could you please start a forum thread letting us know how business works on the developer side? I (and probably a few other people) would really like to know.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@Nnooo: about the SD option: that's exactly what I would expect from Nintendo. Though, sadly for them, Team Twiizer (yeah that's the team behind the original Wii hack) already hacked the DSi (DSi mode, DS mode was previously hacked by the Acekard team.) Team Twiizer really only wants to enable homebrew to use every new feature. Which would make it easy for someone to make a Notebook (or textwriter) app that does use the SD cards. (for example, Colors! for the DS is a homebrew app that uses an SD card inserted to a (homebrew enabled) flashcard)

legochesser

legochesser said:

@Nnooo that's a long wait, I think the great boys and girls are very addicted to it! xD But I've an little question, the most people here have a bunch of DSiWare, and have less blocks remaining, so: How much blocks do you think it'll take, or how much blocks does it now take?
And Nintendo already uses the SD-card slot by their software (DSi-Sound, and DSi-Camera)
But another question: Will this include an "multiplayer" option, to share things, or to play hangman easier?

Thanks in advance! :D

Nnooo said:

@wanderluster sure. I think it would be better to talk about that on our websites forum if that is ok. www.nnooo.com/community post a question there and myself and Steven our DSi Engineer will endeavour to answer your questions.

Nnooo said:

Both Pop+ Solo and myNotebook will take up less than 40 blocks each.

There are no games included with myNotebook you can however play hangman and any other pen and paper game using it. So there is no multiplayer support.

We do aim to release a standalone VS version of Pop called Pop+ VS later this year if Pop+ Solo is successful.

legochesser

legochesser said:

@Nnooo 0_O, less than 40 blocks each, Fantastic :D :D :D!!!!
Nnooo, here do you proove again you're great, and @ all: Download Pop + Solo when released, you see what is standing above me (and SUPERZELDAMAN really likes that, I think!) But, is myNotebook alrady far in development, or is this the 1st accounchment and is the app. not so far made yet? But I think you'll do great on DSiWare, nice idea's, great apps. (and games :p) But an another idea: Add some diffrent pencils, in diffrent colors, sizes (small, Medium, and large) and some diffrent brushes. So you can use it as you own colorbook too! (Who knows, is one of you the new Vincent van Gogh! ;))

Nnooo said:

myNotebook is very far in development. We hope to submit to Nintendo in the next week or two :)

legochesser

legochesser said:

Nice Nnooo, I think this will pass the 1st test, what can go wrong? I hope so, then I can use it in my vacation! :P

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Nnooo post #61: That sounds really convoluted and impossible to work with. You're basically telling me that as a lefty, I can only adequately use half of the pages in the game (and righties can only use the other half). That makes no sense! Why didn't you just set up a proper lefty/righty system where the page to write on is always on the same side of the system?

I sure hope you can find a way to dig outta this mess, 'cause my faith in this app was just destroyed with this control thing. :(

Yamishi

Yamishi said:

@Stuffgamer1 - I think you might be confused. Obviously, no matter which hand you write with, the writable pages will always be on the touch screen. I think he just meant that the first page would be a "right-hand" page by default.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@Yamishi:
Yep, that's what he was saying. It's basically just an option to hold your DSi upside down (so to speak) without the app LOOKING like it's upside down, thereby making the touch screen more accessible to lefties.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable and simple solution to me!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Yamisi: He said, and I quote:

Nnooo wrote:

So in essence every second page is a left hander ;)

Does that sound like right-handed is the default and you can just switch from there and be done with it? I don't think so!

@Chicken Brutus: The way I read it, you've got two pages visible at any one time, just like with a real open notebook. If you're writing on the one on the right, the touch screen needs to be on the right. If you're writing on the one on the left, you push a button, everything flips, and you continue with the touch screen on the left. Then there's some other command to change to a new set of two pages. See the problem with that? Needlessly convoluted.

Nnooo said:

We would disagree. But ho hum.

We have tried to make the app as close to using a notebook as possible. In its normal orientation (touch screen on the right) you write on the right hand page and the other screen shows the left hand page. To write on the left hand page you press A, B, X or Y and rotate your DSi. Or to change page you press left/right on the dpad.

When you rotate and press A, B, X or Y you can now use X and B to turn the pages and the dpad will rotate the book again. This way we get as close to feeling like a real note book as possible.

We think the left/right handed ness is a non-issue. You write on the touch screen using which ever hand you like. Unlike games where you need to see the non-touch screen in myNotebook it does not matter if the non-touch screen is obscured.

My other half is a left-hander and enjoys using the notebook in either orientation. All I was meaning by my comment above is every second page is a 'pure' left hander as in the touch screen will be on the left rather than the right.

Currently when you use a notebook in real life you will write on the left and right pages. Neither is more difficult for either a left or right hander. It is exactly the same in myNotebook :)

Nnooo said:

The only other way we could have done it would be to reverse the notebook. Which would mean that you (left-handers) would be starting at the back and moving forward through it. Which is something the Japanese do but is not western practice.

We thought this was the best solution for western needs :)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Nnooo: You obviously have no idea how I hold a pencil/stylus. Unfortunately, it would be quite impossible for me to use the app in the portion where the touch screen is on the right. Therefore, however much you may have impressed me earlier, further discussion of the game has lost you my sale. I await the day someone designs a similar app that I can actually use. I wish it had been you, but I guess not.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Okay, maybe I'm being really dumb and I don't mean to drag out this issue (I love the idea and the more I think about it the more useful it'll be...in fact, I can guarantee you two downloads from me, for boring reasons...)

But...it sounds like "lefty mode" entails flipping the DSi so that the touch screen is on the left. If that's the case, Stuffygamer, then I'm not sure what you're worried about.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting this entire thing, so feel free to correct me. But that seems like a good solution!

Nnooo said:

@stuffgamer1 All I can say is I am sorry you feel that way. As I have mentioned my partner is left handed and can use the app with no issues so I am not sure how you could be any different. You can write on the touch screen with the stylus in either hand, you do not need to see the left screen when writing on the right one and vice versa so you can hold the DSi with your right hand and write with the left or vice-versa.

All I can suggest is that you try it out and if you cannot use it get a refund from Nintendo.

Nnooo said:

@Chicken Brutus You are correct. You can write on even pages with the touchscreen on the left and odd pages with the touchscreen on the right.

We have tested it extensively with both right and left handed users and no one has any complaints. I am right handed and can write on pages which have the touchscreen on the right and on the left. If I can do that then I do not see why a left hander cannot also manage.

However it is possible that there are other elements effecting Stuffgamer1 that we may not be aware off so I am not trying to be insensitive.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

See, Chicken Brutus sounded like he thought you could use ALL of the pages on the lefty flip, but Nnooo, you're saying only half of them work that way, right?

It may be difficult to understand, but the way I hold and use pencils, styli, etc. is very unusual, even for lefties. Frankly, my penmanship is crap to start with, and having very much of ANYTHING in the way to the left is a big problem for me. I actually don't use real notebooks for the same reason, go figure. :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, also: Get a refund from Nintendo? You're funny! :D

MORE, LATER EDIT: Okay, I took some pictures to try to make my point a little clearer.

Showing me using stylus on left screen:
One
Two

Showing me trying and failing to use stylus on right screen with any reasonable degree of control:
One
Two

As you can hopefully see (sorry the pictures are so small...no idea how to enlarge them), I can't really do it! At least, not without getting my hand all over the top screen, which I'm NOT going to do! It's just the way I hold styli, close to the hand. Far out like you'd have me to, and I have no control.

Also, for whatever it's worth, my right-handed brother things this control setup is bogus, too. I question how you managed to get an entire testing team that had no objections to this obvious flaw in the programming.

Yamishi

Yamishi said:

@Stuffgamer1 - Assuming I'm still getting this correct (write on righty-page, flip, write on lefty-page, flip, repeat) you could still hold the DSi with the touch screen on the left, it would just make the writing on alternate pages upside-down.

Edit: After looking at your pictures, Stuffgamer1, I understand your predicament. I hold my styli the same way, but I hover, so it wouldn't smudge the screen.

Nnooo said:

On monday I will attempt to make a video to demonstrate the way you write on either page.

Thanks for the photos @Stuffgamer1. Personally looking at your photos I think with a bit of practice you'll be fine on both sides of the screen :) Try holding your hand closer to the hinge and nearer the bottom. I acknowledge it is not perfect however we wanted to have a complete feeling of a proper notebook rather than nothing at all on the opposing screen.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

After reading all of this, I have to agree with Stuffgamer. I appreciate you coming here to explain the app to us, Nnooo, but regardless of left or right handedness, it does seem completely convoluted to have to rotate the DSi every time I want to write on the next page. Maybe it makes it feel more like a real notebook that way, but there is such a thing as making something too realistic, and from the sound of things this is one of those cases.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

There, you see? mjc0961 gets my point! Even if you COULD write on both sides without too much trouble (which I still maintain I can't, because my hands are too big to do what Nnooo just suggested without smudging the crap out of my top screen), it's just a pain the the butt to have to! Simply put, this app really is TOO realistic. I would have much rather it work like a roll of papers, so each new one is on the side you want to write on, with the next (or previous depending on user settings) is on the top screen. None of this constantly turning the DSi over crap. That's not even realistic anyway! Who turns their notebook over to write on the other page?

@Prochnow: As long as you follow their directions and don't turn the system over before you're supposed to, that screen should always be right-side-up. But there's no way to see it right-side-up while the touch screen is on the left.

ZachDusoswa

ZachDusoswa said:

nice! this is a great start for the dsi's application family. it may not top the iphone but it's still great! lets hop for a nice youtube or facebook app in the future.

geek-master

geek-master said:

@nnooo you are 18 right or older? you have to be older to make software like that just a dum question :P
also should you rename it i notebook?
i also think you over did yourself with the hangman. i meen you could just get rid of it to make room for more improvement.

Teodoro

Teodoro said:

of course he's 18! He's already made games for Iphone and wii. And the hangman was not included, he said you can play any paper game. It was just a display!

JNoodles

JNoodles said:

You know, this really seems like a quality idea for a DSi app. I sincerely hope that every other company on the face of the Earth doesn't copy Nnooo afterwards. =P

infoterror

infoterror said:

apps rule they need to role out flipnote studio this and the transolator thing come on apps hey am i beeing stupid or are you really badly wanting flipnote studio like me?

hey dudes and dudets im using my dsi to make this comment you see when its my bed time like now i get out my dsi and coment on things lol im really sad anyway im going to get the red one if i get some spare points some time

Nnooo said:

We have out a short video of myNotebook to show it in action. Normally I'd give NintendoLife a copy however as this is a quick, rough cut I'll wait until we have a more polished video (if that is ok?).
check out www.youtube.com/nnooo

Spaced_Out

Spaced_Out said:

Nick,
This is a great opportunity to expand on something. Nnooo is the type of company (I estimate) to find a market and fill it without abusing it. I think this is a great opportunity to create an app suite somewhat like OpenOffice. If you created a full app suite, with parts like wordprocessor at 800, excel at 500, and powerpoint at 1000, even without using a common file type you could find a market. Give the option to download a converter from your site and you have huge $$$$. People like me would go nuts!

Spaced_Out

Spaced_Out said:

Note: It wouldn't have to be fully featured. The ability to put ideas on paper is great, but beginning to add formatting is a different thing, and the basics of that would be appreciated. Converter would be wonderful! Or google docs or zoho integration.Anyway, this would be a wonderful expansion to a great idea. I nnooo that you are already busy with handwriting recognizing.

EDIT: There should be an option on the flip that allows the flip to stop, and instead shifts lines on the touch screen and shows the finished picture (page view) on the top screen, allowing for a functional lefty mode.

EDIT 2.0: There should be an option to "publish" to SD card, allowing you to create an 03D file on the SD card, but not an option to read it. Only writing over should be an option with the SD card. The file should not be attached to the videogame file on DSi memory, to allow presentation to import doc or spreadsheet.

Teodoro

Teodoro said:

wow.............spaced_out had alot to say. I think flipnote studio sort of works as a note book for now (since it's allready out in america).