Mirror's Edge Wii Concept Art Surfaces

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Shows a cartoony look for scrapped port.

Last fall, DICE's Mirror's Edge turned out to be a fairly divisive title for 360/PS3/PC gamers; some applauded it's new take on first-person gameplay by utilizing parkour elements, others found it to be an exercise in disorienting trial-and-error frustration.

You know what else is divisive in gaming? Wii ports. EA, the title's publisher, was apparently keen on taking the game to Nintendo's console and asked Backbone Entertainment to drum up a small demo. Backbone, known for their Death Jr. franchise and for numerous ports, including the Wii version of Monster Lab and XBLA titles Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and Bomberman Live, obviously didn't get very far with their adaptation.

Concept art from the port has surfaced over at Unseen 64 via NeoGAF, showing a style closer to the game's animated cut scenes than the more realistic HD version's gameplay. Yeah, it's just concept art, but it's interesting to consider what could have been.

Maybe the scrapping was all for the better, though. If the Wii adaptation of EA's other new IP from last fall, Dead Space: Extraction, is anything to go by, Mirror's Edge might've just turned into one big quicktime event on rails. We jest, of course, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possible.

EA should've just hired these guys to do a 2D WiiWare port. Now that, that could've been something.

[via unseen64.net, neogaf.com]

Roopa132

Roopa132 said:

hmm I don't know. I didn't like that game the only thing I liked about it where the amazing graphics. The graphics of this game are awesome (they are not beautiful or something but very very very realistic) the rest of the game isn't good/interesting in my opinion...and on a Wii port the awesome graphics will be lost so: nothing for me...

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Oh man, I actually like the look of this better than what was released. But, yeah, if it turned into "Mirror's Edge the Ride" like Dead Space seems to be, it's certainly better off dead.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

I thought the faces in that game were rendered very awkwardly. Celeste is really manly looking. I loved the game though, and the art style was fantastic. I think a Wind Waker-type environment would be pretty cool for ME.

Adam

Adam said:

The 2D game linked in the post is better than the retail game in every way, except perhaps that cool surreal looking DLC level that I never got to try (just rented the game). Everyone should check it out.

I misread the news post at first and thought they had been hired for a WiiWare version. That would rule. NES-style remote action is worth paying for even when the game is otherwise free on PC.

Stijnco

Stijnco said:

I really loved Mirrors Edge, the PC version was the best.
How ever they would have maintained the same gameplay like the original, with cartoony graphics and inventive wii controls, this game would have been good too in my eyes.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Prob for the best. The HD versions were great games but even with analog controllers it was hard to get the timing down on some parts of the game. Motion control isn't near as precise and would have caused Mirrors Edge to prob be almost unplayable. Just my toughts anyways.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

im surprised ea didn't try and stop these concept skectes from being leaked. since ea's focus is primarily on wii (50%), then a mirror's edge title is still possible.

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

I think I'll pass. Mirrors Edge doesn't look very good in 2D for me. I rather have a 3D port.

Objection

Objection said:

What's with the suddenly negative attitude toward Extraction? Sure, that wouldn't work for Mirror's Edge, but it could work great for the former.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

That's to bad because mirror's edge and the other games that were metionned would have been great on the wii. Oh well I'm just glad to know they have not forgoten about us.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

While it sucks that we don't have a Wii version of Mirror's Edge, it's no big deal, considering that we have lots of games ourself to look forward to.

wanderlustwarrior

wanderlustwarrior said:

Screw this "news". I'm only barely starting the Mirror's Edge 2D linked to, and its incredibly fun. Does anyone know if it works on the Wii equiped with a USB keyboard?

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

That's not true. If you have the Wii Internet Browser, you can play flashgames. Don't know if you can play it with a USB keyboard, but there are lots of sites where you can play simple flahs games on the Wii.

noname

noname said:

ea hired those guy's of the link why else would there be ea and dice logo's in the bottom of the page

Chatham

Chatham said:

I had to test the original X360 build and found the game too easy and too short... And the "flash" inspired cut-scenes really threw me off, it seemed lazy not to render the cut-scene.

@Wanderlust Warrior
It's totally possible with homebrew. The Wii is capable of real-time playback of Flash 9 with soft-mods.

@grensworthhero
The Wii has had Flash 7 since 3.4, thanks.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@Chatham

Possible with homebrew, certainly, but I don't believe any homebrew software for the Wii has successfully run a Flash 9 environment for anything, unless I'm mistaken, in which case the game certainly couldn't just be easily ported as is, it'd need to be reprogrammed from the ground up.