La-Mulana Coming to WiiWare

Posted by Corbie Dillard

The amazing indie release is headed to WiiWare.

Now here's some fantastic news for those of you who can appreciate an old-school platformer. The Japanese indie platformer La-Mulana is headed to the WiiWare service! This news has officially been confirmed by Nintendo Power magazine, but any further details are a bit sketchy at the moment.

You can check out the indie classic in all its glory below for a taste of what this MSX Castlevania-inspired platformer has to offer. According to Nintendo Power, the game will feature upgraded 16-bit graphics, not the 8-bit look of the indie PC release.

We'll keep you posted on any new La-Mulana developments and we'll have a full review of the game when it hits the WiiWare service, that we can guarantee you.

YouTube Direct Link

[via neogaf.com]

Stevie

Stevie said:

"if there is a man there is also a woman, you must not use weapons inside the woman" - A important lesson not just for this game but life in general.

MisterSmith

MisterSmith said:

Nintendo must hang around TIGSource a lot. Cave Story, And Yet it Moves, Meat Boy, ToriBash...and now La-Mulana? Hot damn.

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

I perked up at "platformer" but after watching the vid, looks more like a mazey type of game. Could still be very good though.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

This is really great news, looking quite forward to this and 'Cave Story'.

Objection

Objection said:

@Stevie-Yeah, I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean O.o Anyway, this could be cool. I even kinda hope they release the original on VC (unless the WW is a straight-up remake/re-skin.)

Haze4peace

Haze4peace said:

This looks like it could be good. Reminds me of Legacy of the Wizard for NES. I always liked that game, even though it pissed me off a lot. This game is in dire need of graphics/audio update though. Hope they do that before it is released.

Adam

Adam said:

This is one game I just couldn't get into. I didn't really understand what I was doing. On paper I should love it: a 2D platforming adventure that takes inspiration from dungeon crawlers? It's such a great concept.

I'll definitely get this on WiiWare. I'll probably have better luck figuring it out with a controller.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

This is the best WiiWare news I've heard to date. I'm on this one!

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Bahamut. I just want to pinch it's cheeks!

Looks like a mix between Zelda and both styles of Castlevania. Do want!

So there's a PC version of this?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Check out the update. According to Nintendo Power, the game will feature upgraded 16-bit style graphics instead of the 8-bit look of the indie release. :D

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

I've seen this game. I wish they would just bring the MSX to VC over here, though :(

John3714

John3714 said:

I'm loving all these platformers that are starting to come to WiiWare. This, Cave Story, and Three Musketeers are right up my alley.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

This is a great game. I can't wait to see it with 16-bit visuals. This is now my most-wanted WiiWare title.

Popyman

Popyman said:

YES! I've always wanted to play this but was to lazy to find a English patch! Can't wait!

Metal_Slime

Metal_Slime said:

I'm all about new games that look like old games, but only when it's a new concept too... anyone know if this is anything special or just 'classic' gameplay? Looked fairly standard to me in the trailer.

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

I can't wait to see the flood of anger result over new players attempting the Hell Temple...

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@beastman93: Hey, me too! :D
Between this and Cave Story, that guy's been GREAT at getting me interested in upcoming WiiWare remakes of PC games! And a lot of his other videos are great, too. :)

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Look retro-istically beautiful eh. Very Castlevania-esque. Potentially great addition to the service. Perhaps, not for me...but good news...

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

FANTASTIC!!! I have been ranting of the lack of MSX in VC, but this more than atones that sin.

Link79

Link79 said:

This sounds good but I've never heard of it. I'm a Castlevania nut and anything inspired by that will be sure to thrill me. I hope this turns out to be one of Wiiware's best. Btw why is it called an indie game? Isn't that also what cave story was being called? Excuse my ignorance but I just wanted to know.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Dude... I mean, duuuuuuuuude. I mean-- DUDE!

This has to be amongst the cream of the crop for great WiiWare news, along with Cave Story and Mega Man 9. Anyone who hasn't played this game, prepare to be absolutely punished by the difficulty. It's an exceptionally rewarding game but an incredibly tough one, as anyone who has played it or watched DeceasedCrab's famous LP will tell you. An with an upgrade to 16-bit style graphics, I'm even more stoked. I just hope the same three guys who developed the first game are behind the WiiWare redux.

Also, the music in this game is outrageously good. I'd highly recommend people download the game just so they can have a copy of the soundtrack. Terrific musical work.

I also concur on the statements of seeing newbs getting their asses handed to them by Hell Temple. Provided they actually get that far, mind you. It's not like the actual game itself is a cakewalk. Confusion Gate, anyone? ^_~

postmanX3

postmanX3 said:

Whoa.

Cave Story AND La-Mulana? Looks like freeware is getting new life on the Wii. How about next we see NetHack on DSiWare? Please?

itsmeyouidiot

itsmeyouidiot said:

Aww, I just got the freeware version of this game! Now I'll feel compelled to buy it after already playing it! (This is why I've never played Cave Story before. I'm waiting for the WiiWare release.)

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

For those interested to see what the new game looks like, courtesy of the latest Nintendo Power. (crappy photos I took, I know) It sure reminds me of some Amiga classics I played a long time ago. Not at all a bad thing. It's not due until the end of the year, but it's definitely something to look forward to.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Scryble

Scryble said:

Wow. I'm kind of floored by those screens! I never played the original, but if it has been loved as much as Cave Story, then I'll totally give this a go.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

Those screenshots look simply gorgeous. My jaw hit the floor when I saw them. Looks to be a beautiful visual update to the original while retaining the original layouts and look of everything from Lemeza to the skeletons to the pots and especially the tile layouts.

I certainly don't recommend that anyone miss out on this game when it's released. This is exactly the sort of love WiiWare needs and has to be one of the top five most exciting titles announced for the service to date.

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

"Those screenshots look simply gorgeous. My jaw hit the floor when I saw them."

My thoughts exactly! I can't wait to play this.

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

Hm, apparently my crappy photos have made their rounds on the far reaches of the internet, as has been pointed out to me by an acquaintance of mine from another site I frequent. Who'd a thunk it!

winter123

winter123 said:

when you said "old school platforming" i thought mario. Not crappy ripoff of crappy castlevania. ill pass too

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Thanks for posting those screenshots Pegasus! The game looks incredible! Now I really can't wait for this one!:)