Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! - First Screenshots

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

Two screenshots show off Doc Louis's return to the ring.

Nintendo has released two screenshots of Doc Louis's Punch-Out!! to show people what they can expect from the Club Nintendo exclusive WiiWare game. Keep in mind that right now this will be exclusive to North Americans who have achieved a platinum member status!

As expected, it's pretty much an extra fight for the retail Wii game, in which you get to square off against the retired Doc Louis. Keep in mind that the retail game was big enough to fill an entire Wii disc - It's fairly impressive that they've managed to keep the graphics and (assumably) everything else at the same level for this WiiWare release.

It looks as though the code to download this unique WiiWare offering will be released on 1st Nov 09 for those lucky enough to qualify (unless you cave in and choose the Mario cap instead!).

The screenshots are below:

Untitled
Untitled

Now then, any guesses on how hard Doc Louis will be to beat? Keep in mind that he's the former heavyweight champion of the world!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I wish I could wait for reviews on this before making my decision... but it sounds like those download tickets won't be going out for quite some time, so I'll probably just get the damn hat.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Doc is such a nice guy that I don't know if I can bring myself to punch him in the face. :(

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

I'd imagine that he'd be quite tough to beat, otherwise it's a pretty pointless add-on!

Syr

Syr said:

I don't own Punch Out!! for the Wii.. boxing has never been my forte, but the notion of an exclusive download is appealing. I just don't know if five minutes(?) of game play is worth it. I mean, I can't put it on my head or anything.. To fans of the series I can definitely see the attraction though.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

Well if you consider worth, it probably cost Nintendo more to make this WiiWare game then produce a single crappy mario hat.

In terms of personal use, I guess it's up to you. Punch Out games are short by normal standards, but it has replay appeal just doing it again.
A hat you can put on during halloween and run around like an idiot jumping...Or hanging on your room wall, or putting it on your master cheif halo SE helmet.

What would appeal to you more?

Bones00

Bones00 said:

I'm wondering if you guys will actually review this sort of minigame when it's released.

Objection

Objection said:

I think there'll be a few different modes to fight against Doc such as different difficulties and as someone has suggested, an endurance mode (how long can you stay up?!) I'm getting this and if I like it enough, I'll get the full game, which I've played and liked.

KnucklesSonic8

KnucklesSonic8 said:

It says the code will be released BY November 1st, not ON. There's a difference. They could release it sooner.

Objection

Objection said:

I hope they do. Also, I really hope this opens the gates to Wii demos or WW demos. This proves they're possible with a lil work.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I get the feeling that "cave in and get the Mario Cap!" comment was directed at someone specific. Wonder who that is? :D

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I actually would have preferred the calendar, but you only get 2 choices at platinum level. So I picked this, I am sure it will be cool. I don't think it needs a review by Nintendo Life, but maybe a little write up about it.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@Corbie - LOL I slipped that line in when Drake wasn't looking. Don't take things so personally :-p

Bahamut_ZERO

Bahamut_ZERO said:

I'm debating whether to get this or the cap. I'm not a huge PO fan, so I'll get the cap, so I can sell it off eBay and buy LKS to pretend I'm in Europe :P

Chatham

Chatham said:

This was a hard decision for me, but one digital fight that may expire in a year or two isn't worth passing up a free hat!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I'm with Chatham. The one fighter might eventually be gone, but the hat is forever. :D

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

i am still stuck on what to get but the game just seems like 1 fight that last 5 to 10 minutes just seems like a waste of a prize but then again i don't ware hats so i am in a deadlock with what to get, but the images look good

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Went to Tech Support forum. Seems the game will likely be treated the same as the Wii Speak Channel (redownloadable and transferrable to an SD Card).

ejamer

ejamer said:

My plan: pick the hat, try to sell or trade it for Wii points, and then grab a couple more WiiWare/Virtual Console titles that I'm longing for.

The fight against Doc looks pretty sweet, but Punch-Out!! has never been more than a short diversion for me. Grabbing something like Majora's Mask and Paper Mario would be more up my alley.

jayz_a

jayz_a said:

i picked this over the hat... i am confident i can get the hat from other sources :)

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@16

"Someone better dump that as a WAD!"

Yeah... so those of us who actually spent all that money on Nintendo can let the cheap pirates out there mooch off us. Great idea. If I can find a program that will brick a Wii, I'll post that to BitTorrent disguised as this and hopefully take out a few freeloaders.

0-Watt

0-Watt said:

Erf, I am so annoyed that I didn't get to platinum status. At least with the previous Platinum games, they were available in actual carts.

I'm willing to put a price on a download ticket, if someone is willing to sell theirs ^^:

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

I picked the hat. Better than a game where you get to fight one character any day.

abe8812

abe8812 said:

I ended up choosing Doc Louis over Mario's Hat even if it's a vs. one character game.

Link79

Link79 said:

Now i wish I had registered my games. If you only get this one fight though it's not much of a deal. Do you suppose this might be available for purchase later on to those of us who didn't see this coming and didn't register? I want to fight Doc too dammit!

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Im getting the hat. Sadly. I was really hopin for a game collection in the like of Game and Watch. But heck its free and didn't have to get anything at all so not complaining. Just after all the email hype from Nintendo I kinda expected something bigger.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Not a huge fan of punch-out, so one fight is probably all I need. I don't need more stuff lying around the house, so I'm getting the free game and giving it a spin. I think too many people are all logging onto club nintendo though. It won't process my order.

gblock

gblock said:

For those who homebrew...everyone will have it at some point I'm sure :)

Sir_Ilpalazzo

Sir_Ilpalazzo said:

@warioswoods: That's a pretty awful thing to say. I would have no problem paying for extra content if Nintendo offered it. But since they aren't releasing this outside of this promotion, Punch-Out fans that weren't psychic are getting screwed out of extra content.

HOT-ROD

HOT-ROD said:

I tried to get the Punch Out download, but everytime I clicked the order button it said there was a problem. So it looks like i reached platinum for nothing =/
I don't want the stupid hat! =/

Chocobo

Chocobo said:

@28:
And that's why I backed up my Wii NAND to an SD card, lol.
But yeah, this is definitely getting dumped to an wad file.

Neo_Yor

Neo_Yor said:

Although I find great the wii ware exclusive, I always wanted a real life
Mario hat ^^ , so eventually I ordered it.

@HOT-ROD: I had the same problem, but after a while it fixed. Maybe it was down or something.

*To the people that want a review first of the game before download, REMEMBER that you must choose BEFORE August 11. o_o

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

Looking forward to putting Doc in his place. This is what he gets for telling me to purchase Nintendo Power to find out how to beat King Hippo!!! Next time maybe he will offer up some useful advice.

NeoNight

NeoNight said:

This is obviously better then the cap! Just that you have a good while to wait....

Noire

Noire said:

Man, I'm all giddy about getting to fight Doc. This is the battle I wanted to fight ever since I started playing Punch-Out!! (which, admittedly, wasn't that long ago), and Doc looks ready to go in that second screenshot. Either they have different difficulty levels or he better be the hardest Punch-Out!! battle in history. Yes, even harder than that Tyson guy (man, did he have an unoriginal name.)

HOT-ROD

HOT-ROD said:

@TwilightV - No, I ordered it on the computer, but there was a thing that came up and said there was a problem and my coins are safe with wario or something. I'm kinda pissed lol.
Hopefully it will work. Should I try it on my wii?

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Does anyone know if this special punch out will have some kind of 2 player mode?

Nintendude92

Nintendude92 said:

Which do I want more..

Fighting Doc and hearing s'more dialogue or a Mario cap. Dx

This is hard..

Demonic_St33V

Demonic_St33V said:

I would've selected the hat... But our household only hit Gold status, so it's a Club Nintendo calendar for us this year.

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

Ugh im not sure, Im liking the Mario Hat because it will come directly from Nintendo and not some foreign guy of Ebay, but the Game seems like a one time thing, i can see myself putting in my code and fighting him for five minutes and wont have the urge to play it again, so it seems like a Punch Out!! Demo

tooskinneejs

tooskinneejs said:

If anyone is interested in trading their doc louis punch-out download code (once it arrives), please send me an email. I can offer you Amazon GC's or MyCokeRewards Points. My email is: twoskinneejs AT gmail DOT com. Thanks.

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

I got the Mario hat.

The Punch-Out!! thing, I don't have Punch-Out!! and it seems like it's pretty pathetic to give me just one fight after I've just spent $800 on your stuff. The Mario hat isn't too impressive either, but at least it's something.

I actually would probably have liked the calendar the most. I wish Platinum members would get one item from Platinum and the calendar as well.

I'm already a Gold member for the next year, since I saved my extra stuff for after the deadline.