Brutal Legend Wii Cancelled

Posted by Damien McFerran

No rockin' sauce for you

It is with a heavy heart that we have to report that the Wii version of Brutal Legend - the Jack Black-starring rock epic from the guy who did Full Throttle - has been cancelled. Terminated. Buried. DESTROYED.

According to Destructoid, the plug was pulled "due to quality and technical concerns".

While little solid information exists about the Wii version - it wasn't even known if Double Fine were actually working on it, or if it had been given to another developer - the promise of rock-related anarchy on the Wii was enough to get us excited.

Now we feel empty inside.

[via kotaku.com]

Terra

Terra said:

Damm shame but never mind, I could just get it for the 360. Doesn't really interest me but I know it does a lot for others.

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Brutal Legend looks awesome. It's a shame that the Wii version got cut, but not too surprising. As long as it hits the 360 I'll be happy.

ElectricSplash

ElectricSplash said:

But was is announced or something? I've never seen anything that confirms a Wii version of Brutal Legend.

Digiki

Digiki said:

Sweet, I don't know anything about it, but the mention of Jack Black means it was probably destined to be terrible.

J_Bitties

J_Bitties said:

Good. The wii doesn't need it. It doesn't look funny, it doesn't look original, and it flat out doesn't look good.

I had heard the hype before seeing the game. Saw the footage from E3 and all could think was, 'Really? This is it? This is the big game of E3!?'.

This game makes Redneck Rampage look like a Game of the Century.

Nero

Nero said:

Didn't even know it was planned, too bad.

Although, now please announce the PC version!

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

I won't feel bad until the reviews for it come out. If it is great, which I doubt for some reason, then I may be jealous, but if it is one of the worse games of the year, then who cares?

motang

motang said:

I didn't really care about this game so I won't be missing it but that being said it is sad that Wii isn't getting this game at all. But if it is going to be canceled then this reason

due to quality and technical concerns

is good enough for me if it's true. Better to have a good quality game than crappy games!

sirgrim

sirgrim said:

the Jack Black-starring rock epic

Anyone else get that far and stop caring?

Objection

Objection said:

I was under the impression that it got cancelled a while ago. After all, the final game for other platforms is coming out in September.

Schembeck

Schembeck said:

Ha, there was a Wii version of BL? I would die without knowing about it...

Guess its for the best, I don't think it would be a great hit on the wii. Nevertheless, I'm playing this as soon as possible :)

Phantom5800

Phantom5800 said:

Wait ... there WAS a Wii version? Huh ... I guess I'll just stick to my plan of getting it for PS3 ...

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Seems that like myself, a lot of people didn't even know there WAS a Wii version. I was planning to play it on PS3 if at all, so no worries for me. :)

mjwild89

mjwild89 said:

I only though Brutal Legend was for 360 and PS3 but a Wii version? Never seemed real to me.

SilentJ

SilentJ said:

I didn't think it was coming to the Wii in the first place. I'd rather get it for my PS3 anyway. Better graphics and trophies.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

This game doesn't appeal to me much anyways. I thought it looked really stupid.

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

I'm with those who were pretty sure there was never a Wii version in the works (i'm betting maybe they had a team tryng to port a version but couldn't get it done). Probably was going to be picking this up for the 360 anyway, depending on how reviews look.

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

BTW, to those who are hating on the game, you do realize it's from Tim "Psychonauts" Schafer, right?

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

Whatever. I wasn't gonna buy the Wii version anyway. Like pretty much all multiconsole games on Wii, it was probably gonna look like s**t and be inferior to the original. I'm getting it for 360.

@Shpydar. Exactly! This is Tim Schafer people, the guy who made Escape from Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and Psychonauts! I personally think the game looks very unique and awesome! And to everyone complaining about Jack Black, I hate him too, but it's only his voice, and it's not like it's gonna ruin the actual gameplay or anything.

Olimar_91

Olimar_91 said:

So basically a rumor on top of a rumor? It was never confirmed for Wii in the first place, so why bother rumoring it's been canceled? Just diffuse the old rumor and leave it at that. I guess that would be too easy.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

i hadn't even realized there was a Wii version of this in the works, so i'm glad i never had my hopes up for it in the first place -- otherwise, i would be hella disappointed at the moment. :(

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Ill definately be buyin this on PS3 for sure. Mostly the Wii gets crappy ports of HD games anyways so prob not a bad thing that people arent wasting their money on a game that is suppose to be great isn't because of tech limitations.

opeter

opeter said:

Hell, all good games are going around the Wii... can someone tell me, if EU will get Ghostbusters for Wii? Thanks.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@opeter: Is there any particular reason you guys wouldn't get the Wii version? It was finished and released in NA, after all...I see no reason they wouldn't just localize it alongside the other versions.

Why are so many people hating on Jack Black? He's quite good in some things (School of Rock; that one episode of the X-files; Be Kind, Rewind), even if some of his other work isn't so good (I hated Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny). I think he'll fit into Brutal Legend quite well.

Jockolantern

Jockolantern said:

I love Tim Schafer, but I simply don't like this mash-up of high fantasy and heavy metal he's come up with... especially when it "stars" Jack Black. Couldn't care less that it won't make it to the Wii.

Popyman

Popyman said:

Damn it, now I need a PS3 even sooner. It's driving me crazy not being able to play this, Ratchet and Clank, Disgaea 3, and Metal Gear Solid 4!

Crazed

Crazed said:

I could see this doing extremely well on the 360 or PS3, but a Wii version would have been awkward and probably wouldn't sell as well as it will on the other counsles. I'll look for it on the 360, but this is probably for the best anyway.