Turtles In Time Remake No Longer Coming To WiiWare?

Posted by Damien McFerran

Latest press release neglects to mention Wii version

Konami recently announced that it was updating the SNES classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time for modern consoles, with the XBLA version being displayed to all and sundry.

A WiiWare version also seemed to be on the cards, but a recent press release from Ubisoft (which is working with Konami on the game as it currently owns the rights to the Turtle video game license) makes no mention of it, instead replacing it with news regarding a PS3-based Playstation Network edition.

Here's the vital section of the aforementioned press release:

A side-scrolling, four-player action brawler based on the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated series, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time Re-Shelled will kick off the Summer of Arcade, and release on July 22 worldwide exclusively on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, and later this year on the PlayStation®Network.

Perhaps we'll have to cross our fingers for a Virtual Console version of the SNES original?

[via gamershell.com]

Buster13

Buster13 said:

Well, I hope we get the VC edition FIRST, before they get the Remake, but I'm doubtful.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

If we get the Virtual Console release, I'll be happy. If not... I suggest we organize a mob and storm some offices. ;)

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

The remake doesn't look that great, imo. Perhaps the SNES version will be what Wii owners get instead, which would really be the better deal for us as far as I'm concerned.

vherub

vherub said:

ubi loves the wii, could just be a press release mistake, but maybe it ran into filesize constraints

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

It's probably because of the size limit.

40MB can't only get you so far, especially if you want to use good 3d textures.

Noire

Noire said:

As long as we get one or the other, I'll be good. If we don't get either, I will be very dissapointed. TMNT IV was one of the games I played a lot growing up.

Crazed

Crazed said:

I'll keep my overall opinion on remakes in mind and say I would rather have the original before the "wii"make.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Oh well, I always thought the Wiiware news was some sort of misinterpretation anyway. I'd rather see a VC/VCA version instead of a potentially dumbed down HD version.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I'll chime in to agree that the VC game (or VC Arcade, preferably) would be highly preferable to the remake version anyway, so let's hope they can at least give us that.

xesbeth

xesbeth said:

TMNT IV for the VC? Hmm....I guess not [Remember Bionic Commando].

Sorry guys, buy a PS360, but maybe this remake will suck...

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

I was in an arcade the other day and saw Turtles in Time. I was like "Oh yeah! It's the Ninja Turtles game everyone talks about!" So I popped my quarters in and started playing. Within 5 min. I was so bored of mashing the attack button endlessly I actually left the game mid-play.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Seeing as we are yet to get the NES verison of the Arcade game (which has been on Xbox live for ages) I wouldn't hold too much hope for VC releases of any kind.

madgear

madgear said:

This is just stupid if they don't release it on the Wii. Turtles in Time was a game that was made popular on the SNES and the Turtles series of games were most popular on Nintendo machines. Surely if anyone is interested in reliving old games from that era such as Turtles, then they'd have a Wii.

Caliko

Caliko said:

More like EVERYONE'S Jealous of Nintendo.

This is one of my favorite turtle games. It better get here.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

This is what happens when you pop a cork without any champagne in the bottle: you come up empty and get no bubbles. The TMNT remake was never officially even hinted at for WiiWare. This doesn't mean it won't make its way to WiiWare eventually, but it's not planned so far.

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

How come they keep realesing games that were originally on nintendo console on Xbox Live rather than the VC? (Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, TMNT turtles in time Etc.)

motang

motang said:

WTH...that is just eft up! :-(

Agreed...let's do that!

y2josh

y2josh said:

I'm pissed off that the PS3 is getting it "later" in the year. Thats what they said about the last remnant and thats likely not going to be released lol. I think Microsoft is going to keep paying people off to develop for them only. It's just stupid really. I mean why not just put them both live the same day???
I already have the cartridge for SNES so I'm looking forward to the update personally.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

"No longer?" They never said it was going to in the first place.

The thought it was coming on WiiWare was a hope of all of us Nintendo owning Turtle fans.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Unless we get Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time for the Arcade, this is nothing but disater. OH WAIT! WE HAVE LICENSING ISSUES, SO WE'RE ******! TMNT: Smash Up! better be good, otherwise, I'm sending an angry letter to Ubisoft on why they won't allow TMNT: Turtles in Time for the SNES or Arcade and I'm going to demand an Virtual Console release.

y2josh

y2josh said:

When they first announced it I think they said it was coming to the WiiWare and XBOX360. Now, WiiWare has been switched with PS3 apparently.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

I think when they saw the lack of people buying the first TMNT NES game, they figure we would never care for the sequels. (rolleyes)

Darel18

Darel18 said:

Yeah, but WiiWare was a rumor...

Well, I have an Xbox too and I'm not buying this... but I will buy Perfect Dark =D

Anyway, I hate that Microsoft make things that Nintendo isn't... When is it coming Double Dragon online for WiiWare or NDS?????!!! OMFG

Captain_Jack_Sparrow

Captain_Jack_Sparrow said:

First off where's the many flood of comments already?! :(
I think we need at least over 100-150 comments if there should be those who wish to voice to Konami & Ubisoft that we SO DESIRE the origonal Turtles in Time on the VC! COME ON PEOPLE; let's rally & do so! ;)

But anyway...
Just because Konami or Ubisoft think they can cancel the WiiWare version doesn't mean that they have a full hold of their TMNT license! :(
So I'm not in the least a bit surprised! ;)

Turtles in Time will come to the VC eventually though; I've had my patience wear thin over time that I just don't care anymore!

Reason why is because they never even brought the NES TMNT 2 to the VC; & way back then I was POed that they ERSB dropped that... thankfully I got over it a long freaking time ago! ;)

But my only guess is that Turtles in Time might have a new window of oppurtunity if it ever gets released on the VC this year of 2009!

So I'm just throwing out a wild in between date guess:
Somewhere in between July 22 (when the XBox360 ReShelled version comes out); & until the end of September.. or maybe later until the end of the year possibly if they like drag it out that is! ;)

HOT-ROD

HOT-ROD said:

Honestly, if I was ubisoft or konami, i would prefer xbla or psn over wiiware. Xbox Live promotes the games so well, and gives it a ton of recognition. After a week of being on wiiware, most games are never seen or heard about again. Xbox and PSN are better systems for downloadable content, and thats that. It sucks because I personally like Nintendo more, but Microsoft and Sony are better downloadable platforms in my opinion. So its not a huge surprise to me that this game is not going to wiiware. It sucks, but it is not that shocking. But I still have my fingers crossed.

Nintendo64Dude

Nintendo64Dude said:

Thanks Ubisoft & Konami.....
Thanks for ruining it! My brother and I wanted that game for the WiiWare!

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

I use XBLA a lot too, and honestly, I would've gotten this on there anyway. If they bring the original to the Wii VC, I'll probably get that instead though.

beauhappyday

beauhappyday said:

I would buy the SNES version of Turtles in Time TODAY, RIGHT NOW if it came out. ... Today... right now...