Online Play And New Characters (Un)confirmed For Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom

Posted by Christopher Clark

Capcom press release inadvertently lets slip on possible new features for North American release

Capcom's plans to release the Wii-exclusive all-star versus fighter Tatsunoko vs. Capcom in North America and beyond must have been the worst-kept secret of this year's E3, with websites and blogs reporting the news days in advance. The official press release that coincided with the expo, however, announced several details that make the international release of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (now subtitled Ultimate All-Stars) just that little bit more exciting, in particular the addition of five new characters and online play.

The jucier details of the (now unofficial) press release read as follows:

This “newer” version of TvC, currently dubbed Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, removes one character due to licensing issues, and adds five new ones, online gameplay, more mini-games and an enhanced story mode.

Features:

• 26 fan-favorite characters from the Tatsunoko and Capcom universes face-off in this stylish 2D fighter
  • Tag-team battles and customized two-character fighting techniques produce a wild, dazzling spectacle
  • Wi-Fi Online gameplay allows worldwide matches
  • Four battle modes include Friend, Rival, Free and Ranked Battles
  • Match-ups are not restricted to just “Friends”
  • Earn Points and Titles (for Title Creation) for all to see
  • All-new VS gameplay mechanics creates a new way for fans to return to the series
  • More than 20 Mini-game provide additional multiplayer fun
  • Enhanced control schemes offer a simplified control scheme option and allow use of the Classic Controller and Gamecube Controller
  • Wii-exclusive

Someone at Capcom must have jumped the gun with the initial press release as it was quickly revised and the more explicit details translated into fluent legalese:

TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM ULTIMATE ALL-STARS is new version of the game that released in Japan in arcades and on the Wii in December 2008. Capcom is looking into adding new features to the game, including possible additions of several new characters from both Capcom and Tatsunoko, and is exploring the option of online gameplay. TATSUNOKO VS. CAPCOM ULTIMATE ALL-STARS will work with a number of different control devices, including Wii Remote™ and Nunchuk™, Classic Controller, GameCube Controller and various third-party joysticks designed for the Wii.

Being Nintendo fans I'm sure we're all used to a little feigned ignorance on the part of major publishers (just try asking Nintendo of America/Europe about the upcoming Pokemon games, for one) so a gaffe like this on Capcom's part should make us more than a little optimistic about the inclusion of these new features. Online play is a prerequisite feature for versus fighters these days so the success of this somewhat obscure title may very well hinge on its inclusion.

For more news on all things shamelessly violent stay tuned to Nintendo Life!

[via gamesindustry.biz, press.capcom.com]

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

LOL, you've gotta love it when companies have to backtrack on press releases they've already issued. I think the fact that they did the first one is a pretty solid indication that we're getting online play.

DrakeStaff

Drake said:

The one that was cut is Hakushon Daimaou - The only Tatsunoko character in the game I actually knew before :(

Well, unless they add a Samurai Pizza Cat for the western release :p

Objection

Objection said:

I don't know any of the character as far I can recall, and I'm still excited.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Finally! Some good news! Online mutiplayer, more characters, and more! But what's the Tutsunko?

Moai_Head

Moai_Head said:

Super Smash Bros. Fan1999 - Tatsunoko is a Japanese anime studio with a ton of popular franchises, the most famous of which are Speed Racer and Gatchaman (Battle Of The Planets outside Japan).

Terra

Terra said:

Ah, I'd always heard of Battle of the Planets by It's Japanese name. No wonder I hadn't heard of it.

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

"possible additions of several new characters" is good enough for me. At least Casshern is still there, and in the end we will (probably) get more characters than Japan.

City_Of_Delusion

City_Of_Delusion said:

@12: They've pratically confirmed 5 newcomers and 1 removed. They didn't want to officially confirm it (hence the revision), but that's what they said. Watch their forums for more confimation.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

My wish list:

Capcom:
Tron Bonne (Tron!!!<3)

Ken (for the whiny fanboys who won't buy it if he's not in)

Tatsunoko:
Go Mifune (aka Speed Racer, because he's the one US audiences are most familiar with)

Yattaro (aka Speedy Cerviche, because a robot ninja cat is awesome)

Yatterman-2 (Because Yatterman is just plain incredible)

Spiderkid

Spiderkid said:

@15: Mega Man Volnutt is already in the game, as well as the classic Roll.

From Capcom I'd like to see Dante or Nero, and Samanosuke, and I'm expecting one of the new faces from SFIV, most likely Viper. As for Tatsunoko a Samurai Pizza Cat would be great, as would Speed Racer.

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

"The one that was cut is Hakushon Daimaou - The only Tatsunoko character in the game I actually knew before".

But they were like the funny ones. Oh well. 5 new characters is going to be interesting. [nudges Capcom to put in Phoenix Wright]. Well if Roll, a robot who was built NOT to fight was put in, then a lawyer can be in it. :)

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

Phoneix Wright would be an interesting addition. His big combo would be a huge OBJECTION that hits the opponent a bunch of times or just one BIG blow. :D

shogunhitokiri

shogunhitokiri said:

I'd like to see characters from Resident Evil like Jill, Leon, or Claire added but either way, I am really looking forward to this game.

Noire

Noire said:

I kept scrolling past this, not realizing what it was, and I finally clicked on the link.

I am now buying this game.

Buster13

Buster13 said:

First the fact that the game was coming to America was leaked, and now they're trying to cover up an accidental press release. Capcom has just had a terrible time of keeping secrets with this title, huh? :P

Not that I care that much. The more info, the better. This game is quickly becoming on of my most anticipated titles.

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

Reply to Moai Head Post 10#: Thank you very much for the information. I knew of Speed Racer, but not that Tutsunko made it.

Characters I want (Keeping it to just five, which is easy.):

Capcom:
Original Megaman (Mega Man series): My most wanted character, they have Roll, why not the original Mega Man?

Ken Master (Street Fighter series): Mario is to Luigi, as Ryu is to Ken.

Cammy (Street Fighter series): She would be an hot female character!

Leon Kennedy (Resident Evil series): If Capcom would put one M rated character in, this would be it.
Tatsunoko:

Speed Racer (Speed Racer series): The only character from the Tatsunko series that I know of.

Despite my wishlist, I can live without them.

Note: Since we're going to get five new characters, minus one that is taken away, and that the Japanese roster has 26, that means that
American are gettting 30 characters. More then enough for me, I'm tried of Brawl and want a new fighter, this is what I call an solution to Nintendo extermly disappointing fighting game.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

I watched Gotchaman as kid on Cartoon Network when it was known as G-Force I believe. It was later released as a saturday morning cartoon called Eagle Riders. I am unfamiliar with the name Battle of the Planets though.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I'm not big on anime. Besides, most of the 1-on-1 fighting games I've played have had weird balance issues with regards to the character selections. This would have to be something REALLY special for me to get on board.

Popyman

Popyman said:

I want:

Tatsunoko: Speed Racer and SoulTaker.

Capcom: G-Red from Gotcha Force.