Oh No, There's a Zombie Panic in Wonderland

Posted by Darren Calvert

Zombie shoot-em-up action to hit WiiWare later this year.

Spanish developers, Akaoni Studio sent over some screenshots and information today about their upcoming WiiWare zombie shooter, Zombie Panic in Wonderland. Of course we just had to share it with you.

The game is a first-player shooter game with a very simple system. The player controls the character´s movements with the nunchuk at the same time as he aims and shoots at the enemies with the Wii Remote. The player´s movements are limited to two directions (left and right). The scenes are completely 3D and are completely destructible and can be incinerated. The map of the scene changes during the game as the player destroys the objects he has within sight (from boxes of sweets to entire buildings).

Two people will be able to play at the same time and they will be able to choose between three different characters.

The levels will be divided into two parts, and at the end of each one the player will have to knock down a final boss. The final bosses, the main characters and a group of secondary characters, are closely related, which will be discovered as the player advances in the game.

We were told that the game itself would be quite short, but intense. There will be lots of action and fun to keep gamers coming back for more.

Zombie Panic in Wonderland is still very much in development and is expected to launch on WiiWare sometime in December 2009. Watch this space for more news.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Hmmm, may download this baby if it comes together nicely. The zombies are cartoony, which may put some off...but not me (on the contrary in fact as zombie shooters are getting extremely generic on the Wii, at least this is different)

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Gameplay sounds a bit like Little Red RIding Hood Zombie BBQ for the DS, which is awesome fun (and was only $9.99 brand new @ GameStop). May have to pick this up.

BTW, my first post here @ NintendoLife! 'Allo, 'allo!

Terra

Terra said:

Destructible Environments, Zombies, 3D gameplay, Shooting and Cartoony Graphics?

This could be good for a couple of hours gameplay.

thewiirocks

thewiirocks said:

I just have one comment: Where the heck is Red Riding Hood?!?!

(Insert comment here about who's backside you'd rather watch for the duration of the game. :P)

greyelephant

greyelephant said:

Looks nice, but I'm sceptical of the whole "it's short". Just how short is this game? I'll get it as long as it's not a couple of levels and then done.

James

James said:

Hey, welcome to Nintendo Life, the shpydar :) Quite the unusual name you've got there!

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

This is definitely a third-person perspective game, not first-person as the article mentions.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

I wonder how this game relates to Cabal (Amiga). If this game compares favourably to that in terms of intensity (at least one screenshot seemed to have a decent number of baddies on screen, but in general they seemed pretty empty), it might be a good one. But if the difficulty level is too low, the game had better have plenty of replayability if it's short as well.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@Ian Daemon - I think that 'first-person' is lost in translation a bit. We just quoted that straight from the developer :-p

shinigami_tidus

shinigami_tidus said:

I want Zapper compatibility^_^
This game sounds interesting, but why December? They could release it sooner^.^

Clint_Eastwood

Clint_Eastwood said:

As mentioned, this looks and sounds a lot like Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ for the DS. I wonder if it's the same developer.

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

@Prosody #9: Thanks! The name is an old high school nickname borne from a track on They Might Be Giants' "Apollo 18" album, and has just kinda stuck the last 17 years. Wow, i feel old. =)

@Clint #18: i thought the exact same thing, but LLRHZBBQ was developed by EnjoyUp and published by Gammick. Possible that some of the same individuals might be involved. Don't know anything about Akaoni; their website link is just a front page with an 8-bit style character sprite and an email address link.

EDIT: typos, glorious typos!

MuljoStpho

MuljoStpho said:

@shpydar: Spider! He is our hero! UNHHHHHH!!!
I PROMISE NOT TO KILL YOU...

Anyway... The Zombie BBQ game on DS had caught my eye a while back when I saw it in a magazine, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

It actually sounds like fun, but it better have enough levels, and some achievements would be nice.

@the shpydar
Welcome to NinendoLife! :)

NintendoGamer

NintendoGamer said:

Hopefully this game won't be too short. If it has enough levels then I'll definitely download it. Then I can use my Perfect Shot Nyko Gun to kill the zombies. I love games where I can shoot things. Especially zombies. Who doesn't enjoy killing zombies??? :)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Is it me or do all the good looking WiiWare games never seem to come out and we get shovelware all the time instead? This week is an exception with FF IV: YA and all, but a majority of the time, it's junk.

odd69

odd69 said:

i look forward to this. it looks like it's going to have alot meat on it.color me excited.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

Well, it's no Wild Guns, but I guess it will do. I can't wait to try it out. Maybe if it sells well, Wild Guns will be remade for WiiWare. One can dream, right?