Official Bit Boy!! Game Play Trailer

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Bplus shows us their upcoming WiiWare title in action!

The guys at Bplus were kind enough to send us over their first official game play trailer for their upcoming WiiWare title Bit Boy!!.

As you can see, the game will take the little hero Kubi through the various generations of video gaming. He, along with his surroundings, will change according to which particular generation of gaming he's currently in. Bplus has even included a little piece of artwork to illustrate the way certain objects change during their evolution through the various generations.

Untitled

You can take a look at the official press release and game play trailer below for more insight into the actual game and what you can expect from it.

Bplus, independent software developer and creator of Niki – Rock 'n' Ball, PLÄTTCHEN – twist 'n' paint and Vektor Tank, today officially reveals the very first trailer video of the upcoming WiiWare™ retrorama Bit Boy!!

About Bit Boy!!

Bit Boy!!, is a totally new kind of game mix in which one-pixel-hero Kubi rushes through the whole history of videogames in order to save his pixel pals.
Players accompany Kubi in this totally crazy-pixellated retro journey and battle hordes of nasty monsters in

4-bit dungeons,
8-bit caves,
16-bit strongholds,
32-bit mazes,
64-bit arenas and
128-bit worlds.

Bernd Geiblinger, Art Director of Bplus, says:

"Everyone knows that Bplus really is a crazy company. We lifted up a gearwheel to the top of evolution and let it fight against evil Plättchen 6 billion years in the future. We transformed a boy into a ball, only to let him become a rock to stand up against metal crabs and flying trees.

With Bit Boy!!, we created a fantastic new arcade adventure that is delivered together with all its never-before-seen prequels from the different videogame eras. From ages 14 to 40, each Bit Generation will spark true retro feelings in all players when they set off in the ultimate pursuit of fruits and highscores."

Players can grab a pal for even more fun in the cooperative mode.
The Wii Remote is your joystick – the arcade adventure begins.

We'll have more information on Bit Boy!! as it becomes available, as well as a full interview with Bplus regarding this unique new WiiWare title.

mojo25

mojo25 said:

OH MY GOD!!! That looks too cool. I really hope the levels aren't too easy. And I hope that there aren't only two levels of each "bit-era", because that's what it seemed like in the video...I can't wait. >:3

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Looks pretty cool. Can't wait to find out more. Maybe our interview will reveal more information about the game.

NikeXTC

NikeXTC said:

Some gameplay mechanics emerge... It looks interesting, I'm registering at their forum to stay up-to-date with this game's development

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Very interesting. I guess it's done if it has an ESRB rating, which is odd, as until now it sounded like it was fairly early along in development.

Oh well, whatever. On the radar for shizzle.

jbrodack

jbrodack said:

the idea sounded cool but might not be that great if the gameplay through all generations is the same

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

The 4-bit thing really irritates the computer pedant in me because it makes no sense, but the game looks pretty groovy.

Twilight_Crow

Twilight_Crow said:

It looks good, but I'm worried about the gameplay, it seemed that all the eras were played in almost the same way, didn't expect that, mmm I still hope this turns out right.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Looks good. I love pacman and can play for hours, so hopefully this'll be an updated version, meaning I can play for weeks :D

Virus

Virus said:

Hmmm, the game actually looks worse now that I've seen the trailer. Although I haven't obviously seen much of it, the gameplay looks drastically less appealing than what I was hoping for. Mainly, I was hoping for something a little more free, and mazes, well, they're kind of the opposite of free. The graphics aren't that impressive either, and I mean that for each platform. The idea is interesting, and I'm still intrigued, but right now, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@Sean Aaron:
What do you mean about them not making sense? I'm not questioning your conclusion, I'm just too dumb to know what you're referring to specifically. :)

Jiisuki

Jiisuki said:

I'm interested. But I stick to my feeling: BPlus makes horrible 3d graphics. 4- and 8-bit looks really nice though :)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Yeah, this could be Bplus best work. That might not be saying much, but hopefully it is a better effort. Certainly looks like a great idea if they can pull it off.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@ChickieBrutie: Well, the game claims to be a tour of video games past. Back when the Atari 2600 and it's competitors ruled the roost (what the first stage seems to be emulating) the consoles used 8-bit processors, meaning the CPUs could process 8-bits of data at a time.

They seem to be trying to distinguish between these systems and the NES/SMS because for most gamers it's hard to imagine that the NES/SMS were also 8-bit systems, it's just that their CPUs had higher clock speeds (meaning they could process more chunks of data in the same timeframe) and more memory. I won't claim to know the CPUs in all of them but their may have been other differences as well such as co-processors for graphics on the later 8-bit systems.

But, like I said, I'm just being pedantic!

metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight said:

I already have the audio extracted, converted and put on my SD card. It's fun to listen to the trailer audio as you fall asleep.

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

I'm glad that everyone is finally seeing some good in Bplus' work, and I hope that it can live up to this small-scale-hype :D I've been looking forward to this since I got myself some details on it a couple of weeks ago, and the trailer only makes it seem better as well. Hopefully, Chicken Brutus is right though, and we won't have to wait long to give it a go.

@Metakirbyknight: Agreed - the music is really catchy, and I love it. If you're interested, "Kubi's Song" is available as part of the Bplus Soundtrack part 4 on the Bplus forums, and I love it.

calculon

calculon said:

Yes, it's a wonderful parody of how a franchise plays exactly the same despite the different (and dubious representation of some) generations.

No! I'ts Bplus and man does that game look repetitive and ugly as hell.- the 8-bit and 16-bit sections are about as good as it gets. The 64-bit and 128-bit visuals are plain laughable but I expected nothing less.

Hopefully this game will skip a generation - or twelve - and come out when I'm dead :D

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I'm with you, Virus. Was intrigued by the premise, thought it was going to be more like Retro Game Challenge, with different types of gameplay... but it's just one maze after another, with updated textures and graphics along the way? Hmm. I'll stick with the Bit.Trip games to quench my need for games with Bit in the title.

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

This is Bplus we're talking about. I'm staying far away... This is probably trying to grab some cash by putting "Bit" in the name.

Nintendork

Nintendork said:

This ain't gonna work unless they add different types of gameplay. Emulating times that pretty much feel the same but with slowdown and other problems? It seems to retain the B+ way, sadly.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

Yeah... So it's Pac-Man... Only charmless and ugly... That's a swell idea... I mean really...

Ricardo91

Ricardo91 said:

@Wiiloveit. Calculon? Give a Wiiware game a chance? That's crazy talk!

This one's goin' on my radar. This just might be the first B+ game worth playing.