New Wii Zelda May Require MotionPlus To Function

Posted by Damien McFerran

So says Miyamoto

Nintendo game design legend Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed that the new Wii Zelda - which was announced at this year's E3 - is being built with the intention of exploiting the newly-released Wii MotionPlus accessory.

For those of you that don't know, MotionPlus bolts onto the base of the Wii Remote and offers a more accurate detection of movement.

Speaking to Wired, Miyamoto said:

The goal at this point is that we would make Wii MotionPlus required in order to play Zelda. he bigger hurdle for us is not really whether people have a Wii MotionPlus or don't have it, it's whether or not the experience is one where people will think they want to have a Wii MotionPlus in order to experience it.

[via eurogamer.net]

Nanaki

Nanaki said:

TBH, I'd happily pay £100 to play a Zelda game.

Oh, wait...

Wii Controler £33
Nunchuck £17
Motion Plus £20
Zelda £40

Total £110

Seriously though, Zelda will always be worth the financial outlay - it's Zelda for crying out loud!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I think by then, there should be enough reasons that Wii owners will already own Wii Motion Plus. And if you don't, Zelda would be a dang good reason to get it. :)

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

I wonder if Nintendo will start bundling M+ with new Wii console as standard? Like they did with the Wii Remote rubber jackets...

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Or producing a Wii Remote that has it already built in.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

This sounds like a good idea to me! I'm really interested in seeing what type of stuff they have planned for a Wii Motion Plus enabled Zelda! I plan on getting Wii Motion Plus with Red Steel 2 so I should be more than ready for this game whenever it does come out!:)

Wiiloveit

Wiiloveit said:

@Nanaki: if you shop around, you should be able to get it cheaper...
Wii remote £25
Nunchuck £13
WM+ £17
Game £30
Which equals just £85 :)

@Damo: They won't do it as standard, but they might bundle them together at a slightly cheaper price, eg: £40/£45.

Machu

Machu said:

I imagine I'll have four MP nuggets by then, but these pack-ins are a good idea. Good to see Nintendo flood the market rather than drip-feed like they have done in the past (expansion pak).
But regardless, I am so intrigued about this new Zelda, I have no idea what they are doing with it and am desperate for a screenshot (or 50). Aaaaaaagh!

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

"it's whether or not the experience is one where people will think they want to have a Wii MotionPlus in order to experience it."
That certainly applies to me...

Ian_Daemon

Ian_Daemon said:

I already have the Wii MotionPlus for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 which is fantastic. (Frisbee golf!)

Mike1

Mike1 said:

Just another method for Nintendo to force people to buy their accessories inorder to play their games.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

If Zelda takes over a year to come out, I hope there will have been a dozen good reasons to have a Motion Plus add-on already.

I'm getting it with Wii Sports Resort, myself. I wish Grand Slam had it bundled in the US. I'd probably give that a go if it did.

I'd HATE for Nintendo to not take advantage of it on Zelda. We haven't even gotten a true Wii Zelda, yet. It would be frustrating to miss the tech train AGAIN. :)

I really think Nintendo should just start throwing the motion plus adapters in the retail Wii boxes, today, with big stickers on the outside. Maybe even a $10 coupon towards Wii Sports Resort. It wouldl be a nice stopgap for a price reduction and no one would be bothered. Maybe by November?

Or how about a new Wii Play with a new Wii remote that has the motion plus inside (and maybe an official rechargable battery solution? -- I can dream). Eventually these new controllers could be thrown into the Wii Retail boxes instead of just the adapters.

Sounds good, doesn't it?

vherub

vherub said:

I'd love for many, many games to require m+ and for a standard m+wiimote controller to be released and bundled with the system.
As many games as possible should feel comfortable requiring m+ without feeling the wii console install base is fractured.

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

Since I like Wii Motion Plus so much, games that don't use it are going to be tougher sells for me from now on. It is dumb to have a superior technology, and not use it, in my opinion.

mattnd2007

mattnd2007 said:

well then they better include it with the game. so far no games that feature wm+ have impressed me enough to warrant a purchase. unless there are some that i haven't seen yet, or if red steel 2 is better than it looks(i know people say it looks awesome, but i'm not really that convinced on it).

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

They'd better use Motion Plus for the game. This year will be 3 years that Wii has been out with no Zelda game. So they'd better make it damn good when it gets here.

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Twilight Princess isn't a true Zelda game?

"He also added that the game is due out next year, but warned that it might take a little longer to complete."
And by a little longer, he means its going to be a launch title for the next Nintendo console. Who wants to bet on that?

Machu

Machu said:

@17. LinktotheFuture
Couldn't agree more.
@18. motang
Awesome Avatar I LOVE THAT SHOW!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

i could see them bundling it in a special package along with the new game. they did it with the Rumble Pak for Star Fox 64, IIRC.

MAXIMUS

MAXIMUS said:

Having 1 to 1 motion in a Zelda title sounds like a great idea but I wonder how much I will have to be flailing my arms when I'm playing it. Zelda games are quite long and are loaded with enemies. I guess I'll have a taste of it when Red Steel 2 comes out.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Aye, ut should be established by then. The motion plus I mean. Interesting to see what Zelda will do with it too!

JimLad

JimLad said:

It won't be an optional tacked-on extra, that's the most important thing.
Majoras Mask required the expansion pack and it was a much better game because of it.

Objection

Objection said:

I wouldn't mind paying $10 more for a WM+ bundle for Zelda like they're doing for that tennis game, Tiger Woods, etc. Then again, I plan to have WM+ by the time Red Steel 2 comes out...:)

J-Man

J-Man said:

I hope this Zelda looks realistic. Especially with the Motion Plus. Almost like the same style as Twilight Princess. Great game by the way.

Toon_Link

Toon_Link said:

Well, if that's what it takes, I guess I'll get WS Resort next time I get a game... (Sighs)

I would be so peeved if I bought the game and got the MotionPlus, then they announced that we wouldn't need it for Zelda!