New Super Mario Bros. Wii E3 Trailer

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Check out the New Super Mario Bros. Wii title in action!

We got a look at the upcoming New Super Mario Bros. Wii title during Nintendo's E3 Press conference this morning and it looked fantastic.

The game will support up to four players playing the game at one time and has a very similar look to the DS New Super Mario Bros. release.

Below is the official E3 trailer showing the game in action and here's also a snippet of the press release that accompanied the video.

Developers at Nintendo have dreamed of creating a simultaneous multiplayer Super Mario Bros. game for decades. The Wii console finally makes that dream come true for everyone this holiday season. Now players can navigate the side-scrolling worlds alone as before or invite up to three others to join them at the same time on the same level at any point in the game for competitive and cooperative multiplayer fun in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. With the multiplayer mode, the newest installment of the most popular video game franchise is designed to bring yet another type of family entertainment into living rooms and engage groups of friends in fast-paced Super Mario Bros. fun.

FEATURES:

• New Super Mario Bros. Wii offers a combination of cooperation and competition. Players can pick each other up to save them from danger or toss them into it.
  • Mario, Luigi, and two Toads are all playable characters, while many others from the Mushroom Kingdom make appearances throughout the game. Players can even ride different Yoshi characters and use their tongues to swallow enemies - or their fellow players.
  • In some areas, players use the motion abilities of the Wii Remote controller. The first player to reach a seesaw might make it tilt to help his or her character reach a higher platform - and then tilt it incorrectly just to mess with other players.
  • New items include the propellor suit, which will shoot players high into the sky with just a shake of the Wii Remote and Mario's new ability to transform into Penguin Mario.
  • At the end of each stage during the simultaneous multiplayer mode, players are ranked based on their score, coins collected and the number of enemies defeated.

We'll have more information on New Super Mario Bros. Wii as it becomes available, as well as a full review of the game when the it's released later this year.

[via youtube.com]

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

It scares me to think this will not have online multiplayer. Without it for me makes this game far more pointless to get.

I know it can be a decent singleplayer experience, but I am not much of a Mario fan as I used to be, and I just feel this is really gearing to the 4 player action niche.

Buster13

Buster13 said:

You can ride Yoshi in this too?

The little guy's just getting all kinds of love.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

It scares me to think this will not have online multiplayer
Online play would turn into players griefing each other. Unless you meant Friend Codes only in which case if they put that people would complain along the lines of "I can't greif strangers".

Nothing in that trailer beats Cammie dying to the first goomba.

Still I liked the fact there were Yoshis and you can eat other players. It opens more opportunities to sabotage other players than plain picking up and throwing.

cr00mz

cr00mz said:

this looks sweet as hell, first Wario Land shake dimension and now this, bring 2d back!

ReZon

ReZon said:

Looks very good... I wonder if it'll have wifi play?

That honestly could be a deal-breaker for me if it doesn't. But again, it does look like a lot of fun.l

Don

Don said:

I'm still confused as to whether this game is a remake with new features (new multiplayer mode) or a brand new game with new levels.

slambert215

slambert215 said:

Looks good but Nintendo's probably gonna drop the ball on this one by not including online play.

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

"Mario, Luigi, and two Toads are all playable characters, while many others from the Mushroom Kingdom make appearances throughout the game."

Shan't get my hopes up, but that last bit excites me a little bit. Daisy plz.

i8cookie

i8cookie said:

looks really cool, i hope they still have the giant and micro 'shrooms. i bet they took out the giant shroom, it's difficult to imagine it working with multiplayer, you'd just kill them all off, no good for co-op.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Well, I like the look and the music; seeing the desert bits reminds me of my downfall in SMB3; it sounds like they might have tweaked the difficulty or have some new "helping hand" feature that would allow me to bypass stuff that causes massive frustration.

I just might pick this one up!

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Your still missing the point, I don't know anyone that lives close by to play this with me so I have to rely on online play.
I suppose freind codes only online play has been done in the past (Endless Ocean). All I can think is Nintendo still don't see the importance of online play or didn't want to spend the time developing netcode (though one thing is like fighting games I don't see platformers working too well^1).

^1-I can see it being you run into another player, someitme later the characters react to this.

greyelephant

greyelephant said:

This looks great. I was always telling my friends that "New Super Mario" was lacking multiplayer and they not only made it so two of you can play, but now 4! Great job Nintendo. I WILL buy this day one here in NA. I can't wait for this one.

Noire

Noire said:

Simultaneous 4-player Mario? Count me in! The only qualm I have is kinda nitpicky. I would rather see some actual Mario characters in the third and fourth slot instead of generic colored Toads. Other than that, this game looks sweet!

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

Has Nintendo stated whether or not this will support GameCube controllers? I only have two Wiimotes.

MAXIMUS

MAXIMUS said:

A must buy, with or without online play. I didn't see Wario though. I wonder if he will be a playable character. I could use him to fart all over the other players.
Starwolf_UK: "Nothing in that trailer beats Cammie dying to the first goomba."
LOL

Turbo_Genesis_64

Turbo_Genesis_64 said:

As much as I love Mario Galaxy, you just can't beat the playabilty of the classic Mario 2D format. I'm sure I will get this for Christmas.